• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official Comm Bank Series - Aus, Ind & SL ODI's***

Spark

Global Moderator
ha I swear to god Dhoni does that sometimes just to look like a hero. Was never in much doubt though, these matches always seem to feign a contest...
13 off the last over is usually enough to win you the match though.

length balls on off and chest-high fullies make it tough.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Dhoni wanted to show Mathews how it is done in the last over, so had to first get it close. :p

Almost was a terrible innings, but he rescued it to look like a hero.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Really though, who could see that coming?

A guy who bowls straight, slow and without swing bowling an expensive last over.

One for the archives.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Really? It looks like he paced it perfectly.
Yeah, whatever the spectators thought about him pacing it, Dhoni seemed to have no doubts. The way he turned down the easy second off the first ball showed that, in his mind, he had supreme confidence.

Would've looked an absolute **** if it's gone **** skyward, so kudos. Genital fortitude and all that.

Spark

Global Moderator
No, I watched it all.

He scored just fast enough for India to overtake Australia's total in the last over. That's basically the definition of perfect pacing.
When you come in during the batting powerplay when it's less than a run a ball required and end up requiring 13 off the last over, that's not pacing when you win, that's luck.

thierry henry

International Coach
No, I watched it all.

He scored just fast enough for India to overtake Australia's total in the last over. That's basically the definition of perfect pacing.
huh?

So it's better to win in the 50th over than the 47th or 48th?

India were well ahead of the game but for Dhoni's innings which was so poorly paced they almost lost.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Yeah, whatever the spectators thought about him pacing it, Dhoni seemed to have no doubts. The way he turned down the easy second off the first ball showed that, in his mind, he had supreme confidence.

Would've looked an absolute **** if it's gone **** skyward, so kudos. Genital fortitude and all that.
Yeah, exactly.

Before Jadeja got out India needed 13 off 9, which is definitely Advantage India. It amazes me how people can say that Dhoni's innings prior to that can be considered poorly paced, because it got India to 13 needed off 9.

Yeah, there was a wicket and 2 dot ball after that. But that sort of stuff happens. You could say that he was leaving it a bit close, but he still did enough.

Huge set of testicles.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
When you come in during the batting powerplay when it's less than a run a ball required and end up requiring 13 off the last over, that's not pacing when you win, that's luck.
Nah, backing himself, IMHO.

Not the way I'd have gone about it, but can't fault the execution. He's done it so many times before, it can't just be luck.

ganeshran

International Debutant
It was a poor knock by Dhoni. He wasted the entire powerplay and played way too many dots. but at the end of the day what matters is that he got us home regardless of whether it was by 2 overs or 2 deliveries to spare.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I thought the point was when you are well in front saying you are going to lose/favourites to lose

whether you actually do lose is beside the point surely
Exactly. Jono having a cry because he's been called on it.
You can have a go at me all you like Benchy but the fact is, I said something along the lines of "normally I'd back us with Dhoni in but I have a funny feeling we will lose this"

It was never "Australia will win from here, guaranteed. We'll stuff this up" or whatever other version of Gambhiring you blokes pounce on. I just felt that they were letting the run rate sky rocket and if Raina were to fall it could be curtains.

I really don't see how that's the ****ing end of the world or such horrible posting.

uvelocity

International Coach
saw a few mentions of Dhoni's average, anyone noticed he is not out 27% of the time - 48 out of 177, that's a large percentage.

Spark

Global Moderator
Nah, backing himself, IMHO.

Not the way I'd have gone about it, but can't fault the execution. He's done it so many times before, it can't just be luck.
And if the last over is filled with pinpoint yorkers and slow unhittable bouncers instead? Then what?

Leaves far too much to chance.

In the end though, we played **** cricket with the exception of Forrest, Dussey and Doherty at the death. So the result is fair, but it should never, ever have gotten so close.