• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official Comm Bank Series - Aus, Ind & SL ODI's***

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Chalk me up in the "not a good knock from Dhoni" ftr.

Ashwin goes out first ball of the last over and it's a different ball game.

Also don't forget Dhoni should have been run out.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So bloody irritating McKay choked that last over. The reaction would have been hilarious if Dhoni had succeeded in losing the game. Instead McKay managed to lose it. A horrible innings and now we have to wade through all this hero bollocks from the numpties. A perfectly timed innings from that situation would have won the game with an over to spare at least, India didn't lose wickets and were effectively ahead of the rate. It's only if you end up 8-9 down do you cut it finer because there's a large risk of being bowled out. When you've wickets in hand it's a waste to fall short, particularly given India's position of strength.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You can have a go at me all you like Benchy but the fact is, I said something along the lines of "normally I'd back us with Dhoni in but I have a funny feeling we will lose this"

It was never "Australia will win from here, guaranteed. We'll stuff this up" or whatever other version of Gambhiring you blokes pounce on. I just felt that they were letting the run rate sky rocket and if Raina were to fall it could be curtains.

I really don't see how that's the ****ing end of the world or such horrible posting.
Noone's saying you should be banned/infracted or even that it's terrible posting. But at that stage of the innings India were clearly in front, yet you were calling it that Australia were looking like winning.

That's the definition of Gambhiring.

It becomes ****ing horrible posting if it's done so so so much, which you didn't really do. But it's what ****s were doing during the Melbourne test.

Spark

Global Moderator

Yeah indeed but we weren't going to run anyone out tonight. Just one of those days.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
When you come in during the batting powerplay when it's less than a run a ball required and end up requiring 13 off the last over, that's not pacing when you win, that's luck.
Nah, it's backing your ability.

You mention 13 needed off the last over, but remember it was also at 13 needed off 9 before Jadeja holed out. And even then, 13 off 6 is hardly impossible.

He knew what he needed to win. He had confidence in himself to do it without risks. Yeah it got tight, but he kept it close the whole way and got India home.

benchmark00

saw a few mentions of Dhoni's average, anyone noticed he is not out 27% of the time - 48 out of 177, that's a large percentage.
Not sure if your intention is to downgrade his average, but as a finisher that's his role, to remain not out and see the innings home. Does it well and did it really well tonight.

Spark

Global Moderator
Nah, it's backing your ability.

You mention 13 needed off the last over, but remember it was also at 13 needed off 9 before Jadeja holed out. And even then, 13 off 6 is hardly impossible.

He knew what he needed to win. He had confidence in himself to do it without risks. Yeah it got tight, but he kept it close the whole way and got India home.
Exactly - he kept it close!

When he came in India were miiiiiiiles in front. It should never have gotten close.

Ruckus

International Captain
Nah, backing himself, IMHO.

Not the way I'd have gone about it, but can't fault the execution. He's done it so many times before, it can't just be luck.
Backing himself? Na, given there were 4 wickets in hand, leaving it to the last over is just plain stupidity. It's not like he is just batting in isolation either. The pressure and tension he needlessly created on the rest of the team was palpable.

Burgey

I missed basically all of India's innings, was Australia's fielding pretty dire or something?
Horrible mate. Reckon a clear dozen misfields. Not all cost a run, but still bad. Harris with a terrible missed run out and one or two others as well.

thierry henry

International Coach
It's better to win than to lose.
Yep, and if Dhoni just plays a normal, competent ODI innings they win with time to spare. He batted like he did and relied on receiving a couple of pies in the last 3/4 balls to arse his side over the line. Definitely the way to go about it :huh:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member

Awta.

He has done it time and again in the past, but those were much better paced innings. Today luck played a major part in his favor or he had lost it with the pacing of the innings.

uvelocity

International Coach
Not sure if your intention is to downgrade his average, but as a finisher that's his role, to remain not out and see the innings home. Does it well and did it really well tonight.
a slight downgrade. 50 average in odi's is ballistic, and it's natural for him to be not out considering his role - but if the average is noted, so should the red ink.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Noone's saying you should be banned/infracted or even that it's terrible posting. But at that stage of the innings India were clearly in front, yet you were calling it that Australia were looking like winning.

That's the definition of Gambhiring.

It becomes ****ing horrible posting if it's done so so so much, which you didn't really do. But it's what ****s were doing during the Melbourne test.
You know I barely posted in Melbourne since I went to all 4 days firstly.

But secondly, I never said Australia were looking line winning, I said normally I back us but I have a feeling Australia will somehow win in this instance.

I know we were favourites, and **** the whole match I was saying India was great value with the bookies!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
And if the last over is filled with pinpoint yorkers and slow unhittable bouncers instead? Then what?

Leaves far too much to chance.

In the end though, we played **** cricket with the exception of Forrest, Dussey and Doherty at the death. So the result is fair, but it should never, ever have gotten so close.
Like I said, not the way I'd have gone about it, but he played what seemed like half a dozen similar innings versus England last summer up here and in India, so I think you have to give credit where it's due.

He'd pootle along to something like 10 off 30 and end with 50+ at better than a run a ball.

Spark

Global Moderator
Horrible mate. Reckon a clear dozen misfields. Not all cost a run, but still bad. Harris with a terrible missed run out and one or two others as well.
Doherty missed a tough one. Harris missed one early on with a poor throw, don't know how tight it would've been. Clarke missed a reasonably easy one, and don't talk about Harris's second.

So many misfields though, cost us at least 15 runs.

Shri

Mr. Glass
And if the last over is filled with pinpoint yorkers and slow unhittable bouncers instead? Then what?

Leaves far too much to chance.

In the end though, we played **** cricket with the exception of Forrest, Dussey and Doherty at the death. So the result is fair, but it should never, ever have gotten so close.
It means you have handled the pressure well in that situation and deserve a win. Didn't happen, so...

Spark

Global Moderator
Like I said, not the way I'd have gone about it, but he played what seemed like half a dozen similar innings versus England last summer up here and in India, so I think you have to give credit where it's due.

He'd pootle along to something like 10 off 30 and end with 50+ at better than a run a ball.
if he'd ended up with 50+ at a run a ball plus then that'd have been fine.

he didn't. his sr was 80-odd.

---

it's funny though, when you consider that fielding cost us a few wickets + 15-20 runs, batting cost us 15-20 runs at the end... i'm still stunned that we could turn out a performance so under what we would usually expect and have it go down to the last over.