• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official Comm Bank Series - Aus, Ind & SL ODI's***

TumTum

Banned
Clarke let it happen, like he did against Malinga last year.

Having the field back when they needed like 50 with 9 wickets down, what an idiot.

Spark

Global Moderator
You know, I thought Michael Clarke had scored quite a few ODI hundreds, but when I checked the career averages tab on Cricinfo I was surprised to see he's hit just 6. I thought 'oh it's probably because he's mostly batted at 4 or lower'. So I checked to stats, and was further surprised to see he's hit just 3 from 4 or below, his other 3 coming from batting 1-3 (he doesn't feature until the second page).

I mean, i'm not expecting him to have hit 20 hundreds or anything, but given the calibre of player and the amount of matches he's had, he would've hit more than 3 from 154 goes.

Edit: those 3 hundreds were scored at 4 and none below. This is probably a fairer stat. But do you think he should have more ODI hundreds by now?
Updating: with tonight's 50 (his 50th), he now has a 50:100 ratio of 0.12

Amongst players with fifty or more 50+ ODI scores, only Ranatunga (0.082) and Andy Flower (0.727) have worse conversion rates. His is marginally better than Inzy's (0.1205) and Azharuddin's (0.1207). Bevan's was also pretty poor (0.13) so it's not the be-all-and-end-all but he batted lower usually, so yeah his conversion is pretty poor for a top four batsman. Odd given that he's a superb converter in Tests and doesn't suffer from a Watson-esque knack from getting out just after passing 50 at all: Batting records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Has as many 90s as 100s (including a 99*) - I just think he runs out of time (or doesn't give himself enough time) or holes out during the slog overs. I imagine he'll improve that ratio soon given how we'll he's batting and given that in the last year he's suddenly gotten way, way more aggressive again - at least in Tests, scoring as fast as he did in his first stint. This assumes, ofc, that he can actually score on both sides of the wicket, unlike this match.

Last edited:

Nomanculture

School Boy/Girl Captain
Mathews just doesn't deserve to be in a mediocre team like this. What a waste of a talent. In the sense that he can be never in the right side of the result.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
Updating: with tonight's 50 (his 50th), he now has a 50:100 ratio of 0.12

Amongst players with fifty or more 50+ ODI scores, only Ranatunga (0.082) and Andy Flower (0.727) have worse conversion rates. His is marginally better than Inzy's (0.1205) and Azharuddin's (0.1207). Bevan's was also pretty poor (0.13) so it's not the be-all-and-end-all but he batted lower usually, so yeah his conversion is pretty poor for a top four batsman. Odd given that he's a superb converter in Tests and doesn't suffer from a Watson-esque knack from getting out just after passing 50 at all: Batting records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Has as many 90s as 100s (including a 99*) - I just think he runs out of time (or doesn't give himself enough time) or holes out during the slog overs. I imagine he'll improve that ratio soon given how we'll he's batting and given that in the last year he's suddenly gotten way, way more aggressive again - at least in Tests, scoring as fast as he did in his first stint. This assumes, ofc, that he can actually score on both sides of the wicket, unlike this match.

Perhaps it's just that he's not good at lifting his scoring rate with big shots when he is well set - similar problem to what he had in T20's.

Spark

Global Moderator
He has become better at that too in the last year and a half, especially since he's redeveloped his aerial shots again - mostly on the onside.

The main thing he needs to work on is his placement, really. Smokes a hell of a lot of balls straight to fielders.

uvelocity

International Coach
tbh it is a really interesting statistic, conversion rates in tests is world class, in odi's is reverse world class.

Would take it this way round than the other. Hope he hits another half a dozen triples too.

Spark

Global Moderator
He was always a decent converter in Tests but it's become hilarious in the last year. 14:21 after Galle has become 19:21.

Really the "interesting" thing for me is his average after passing 50 (which I only noticed on the side when I was putting up that filter), which is one of the best in that list - he certainly doesn't throw it away easily Watson-style once very well set, so that aspect of his Test batting has carried through. He just doesn't have enough time to get a hundred usually.

EDIT: Even more bizarre is that Ranatunga and Azharuddin who are similarly poor converters are similarly difficult to get out once well-set! Maybe an indication that I'm reading too much into things but it perked my interest. 56 scores of 50 or above in ODIs is a decent effort nonetheless.

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
On the day before the match, true to form on this tour, the Indian team sent out R Ashwin to handle another tough press conference.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Think Ashwin is one of the few who can come off this tour to Australia with some respect gained... HE made mistakes but at least he looks he cares and looks like he wants to improve. Still think had he had better support, would have had much better bowling figures in the tests.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Think Ashwin is one of the few who can come off this tour to Australia with some respect gained... HE made mistakes but at least he looks he cares and looks like he wants to improve. Still think had he had better support, would have had much better bowling figures in the tests.
Agree with this. It's a hard place to bowl finger spin, and he put a price on his wicket ever time I can recall in the tests.

Just heard Craddock talking on Weekend Half Time on RN. He was asked about Johnson getting back in:

"Mitch Starc: repeatable action plus accuracy plus consistent indexing at high pace = bad news for 'other Mitch'".

Pretty hard to disagree tbh.

thewind

Cricket Spectator
1.18AM UK time and I got my self a good ham sandwich ready with lettece and cherry tomato's on a freshly myslef sliced thick bread. Had the beers and wine already!

That leads me on to well start off, Michael Clarke is going to be a GREAT Captain and LEADER for Australian Cricket Now and going forward, good things ahead for Australia.

However, India, although going through a period of transistion, are dangerous! Just under 2 hours to go, It's going to be a good contest, if Tendulkar plays (I say if cause I'm not sure what is going on with this f"""ing rotation policy) Then the MAN is doing it today, 100! it's got to be done at some point and no better than the Australia!