• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE

Who do you think will win?!

• Total voters

screamingfields

School Boy/Girl Captain
England picked up wickets alright. But what was that? The pitch is turning. England were dominant in this session. And finally, another good one for them would really do the job for them. Pietersen, Strauss, Cook. Can draw it for them, not win it. They need anything. But I'm quite certain they won't win. The pitch is really odd. First it looked flat, then it looked spin filled dusty, and now it's completely spinning.

Last edited:

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
There are not many batsmen in the world who bat well with the tail...Missing Inzy here
Well he's probably not had to do it a lot throughout his career - even before he made his Test debut - as he's been an opener/#3 batsman with a conversion problem.
Even taking all that into account, taking a single off the first ball to expose your tail to quality spin is silly, regardless of a lack of experience or how bad you are at batting with the tail.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Gary Keedy would dominate out here as well tbh.

disclaimer: I am basing everything off my ICC stint with Sussex
My point was, Panesar hasn't really massively improved over the last year or so. He just is what he is.

He went through a period when people criticised his lack of variation and he tried to rectify that but ended up just bowling one ball an over as an obvious seam-up delivery and one ball as a slower version of his stock ball with no revs on it so it actually had no shape or dip at all (ie. two balls an over were park cricket standard and easily spotted). This made him completely rubbish. He's largely gone back to what he was before that (although he does have a nice quicker armball now which he didn't have before) which will make him a handful on surfaces that suit him but still very toothless on those that don't. He's a decent bowler but he hasn't gone on a voyage of spiritual and physical discovery over the last year; he's just gone back to his strength - a very good stock ball that he can repeat with unrelenting accuracy and turn sharply when the pitch suits.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think that's a bit harsh on Swann because this current Pakistan team are no mugs with the bat...Younis is an excellent player of spin and Misbah is good too
So why contradict yourself by defending swann but slagging off Monty?

Bowling to the same batting line up and Monty totally outbowled Swann here.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
England picked up wickets alright. But what was that? The pitch is turning. England were dominant in this session. And finally, another good one for them would really do the job for them. Pietersen, Strauss, Cook. Can draw it for them, not win it. They need anything. But I'm quite certain they won't win.
...if England bat for 7 sessions with target of 320 odd, you're getting a result.

Z-Man

U19 Vice-Captain
Such a stupid way of getting out..

Another reason why you need an aggressive batsmen in the line-up

flibbertyjibber

England picked up wickets alright. But what was that? The pitch is turning. England were dominant in this session. And finally, another good one for them would really do the job for them. Pietersen, Strauss, Cook. Can draw it for them, not win it. They need anything. But I'm quite certain they won't win. The pitch is really odd. First it looked flat, then it looked spin filled dusty, and now it's completely spinning.
Dude, there are 2 days left. Unless we have a cloudburst (unlikely in the desert) or somebody digs the pitch up tonight then there will be a result. Pakistan winning is clearly the favourite given how England have batted in this series. Calm down and enjoy it.

Z-Man

U19 Vice-Captain
Oh BTW, I remember telling some posters before the series that Panesar and Finn were bigger threats to Pakistan than Swann and Broad.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah anyone who is talking about a draw is either trolling, has an inside tip on the weather, failed fourth grade mathematics or has never watched a game of cricket before.
You do realize that I had said that when the match situation was different right? when there was a possibility of Pakistan declaring after batting out today.

flibbertyjibber

Oh BTW, I remember telling some posters before the series that Panesar and Finn were bigger threats to Pakistan than Swann and Broad.
So half right then as Broad has been superb in the series. Both bowling attacks have been awesome and Pakistan have batted ok but England have batted crap all the way through.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Before the series, that was one of my fears...that Pakistan would make a hero of someone like Panesar.