• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE

Who do you think will win?!

• Total voters

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You had the 'same silly rants' when I had criticized Misbah for not upping the run rate in the first two tests except in this situation the run rate is not that important considering its already the second innings with 2 more days to play.
I do think Azhar ought to have had a chop at a couple of those innocuous half trackers from Anderson though.

Fusion

Global Moderator
How they hell do those umps catch those inside edges? I can rarely, if ever, pick them up in real time.

Beleg

International Regular
It's spinning and bouncing, facing decently accurate bowling with a field that's stopping their shots and on top of that, there are two and a half days left...I can't believe you can be watching the game and saying that.
as i wrote before, i am not watching the game myself and am going by cricinfo commentary and second hand descriptions that talk about the ball barely carrying to the keeper at 135k and the lack of positive intent on the batsmen's part...

and the time remaining in the game is completely immaterial in this instance - you don't need to utilise the full five days if you can get the job done before that. pakistan needs a lead of around 400 and getting there quickly means they can, a) add to that, circumstances and time permitting, b) give the english batsmen the better part of 7 sessions. the more time they've the harder it';; be for them to get into the survival mindset.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I do think Azhar ought to have had a chop at a couple of those innocuous half trackers from Anderson though.
Totally and I can understand Azhar not going for it when he is 15 not out....but when you have batted almost a day and you are on a hundred, you should have the confidence to do that.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
as i wrote before, i am not watching the game myself and am going by cricinfo commentary and second hand descriptions that talk about the ball barely carrying to the keeper at 135k and the lack of positive intent on the batsmen's part...

and the time remaining in the game is completely immaterial in this instance - you don't need to utilise the full five days if you can get the job done before that. pakistan needs a lead of around 400 and getting there quickly means they can, a) add to that, circumstances and time permitting, b) give the english batsmen the better part of 7 sessions. the more time they've the harder it';; be for them to get into the survival mindset.
But if they have a lead of 400, and they bowl for seven sessions, England will win because they will score 400 in that time.

Daemon

Also, the more time they're given, the greater the chance of England pulling off a win.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Also, the other argument to SS's scenario would be, the more time Pakistan takes to set England a big target, the less time England have to bat...allowing them an opportunity to get away with a draw.

salman85

International Debutant
It's not down to confidence.It's done to a conservative mode of batting.Azhar will play this way regardless of his score.And there is nothing wrong with that.If we were in need of some quick runs,then your argument might have some value.But it doesn't right now.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Also, the other argument to SS's scenario would be, the more time Pakistan takes to set England a big target, the less time England have to bat...allowing them an opportunity to get away with a draw.
Unless Pakistan score an absolutely ridiculous total or it rains, England won't be able to draw the game regardless of how long they bat but they'll eventually just win.

Burgey

Totally and I can understand Azhar not going for it when he is 15 not out....but when you have batted almost a day and you are on a hundred, you should have the confidence to do that.
Yeah, I only say that for that reason, and because the wicket is so flat. A couple there he might have picked up, but I'm not selling short the great job he's done. Kudos to him.

And in Melbourne, Starc gets Tendulkar for 2 (fwiw).

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Also, the more time they're given, the greater the chance of England pulling off a win.
But if they have a lead of 400, and they bowl for seven sessions, England will win because they will score 400 in that time.
But that's just from one side of the spectrum.... the other side says is not even considering an England...the other side says...set a target so huge that the option is either a Pakistan win or a draw...and you don't want them to get away with a draw...so you set a big total but also allow enough time for your bowlers to bowl them out.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
And yet again, if England bat for the entirety of the time they're given, they will win, not draw.

Daemon

But that's just from one side of the spectrum.... the other side says is not even considering an England...the other side says...set a target so huge that the option is either a Pakistan win or a draw...and you don't want them to get away with a draw...so you set a big total but also allow enough time for your bowlers to bowl them out.
And yet again, if England bat for the entirety of the time they're given, they will win, not draw.
Exactly.

Think of it as an endless test match.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Unless Pakistan score an absolutely ridiculous total or it rains, England won't be able to draw the game regardless of how long they bat but they'll eventually just win.
I think we are going around in circles here....Obviously Pakistan needs to set a huge total..but if they are still batting tomorrow in order to set that total, they will be allowing England an opportunity.. I am saying Pakistan should bat in a way that the possibility of a draw or an England win is taken out....Set a huge target and give your bowlers enough time to bowl them out.

I am not too concerned now though because I know once Misbah gets set..he can go for the big shots against Panesar.

Beleg

International Regular
i disagree. i think once you've got a lead of around 400, the psychological pressure on the opposition actually makes it harder. consider this.

if you've got around three sessions to bat through, you'd fancy your chances of grinding out a draw. four/five sessions means you'd reckon yourself a decent chance of pulling off a statistically unlikely win were you to play at a steady pace in survival mood. but six sessions + is a lot of time to bat through, on a low, slow spinning pitch. england do not have a misbah or an azhar ali - fellas that can deal with canny spin bowling on these surfaces (trott excepted, mebbe). they do have stroke players in their team, so they'd reckon an offensive mindset would give 'em a better percentage (realistically speaking, chances of an english win are really low at this point)

but if england's in an offensive mood, as it'd make sense for them to be, for that's there strength, i'd also fancy pakistan's chances of running through them faster, since they'd certainly be taking more risks. if i were supporting england, i'd want them to go for it, whereas if i were supporting pakistan, i'd also want england to go for it.