• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE

Who do you think will win?!

• Total voters

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
FFS, why is it so hard to comprehend that it's better to take more singles and rotate the strike. Even an expert like Bob Willis has just said the same. Or are you more knowledgeable than him.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I have noticed that most people cannot handle objective criticism that can lead to improvement when things aren't going absolutely wrong.

Having said that I don't support any declarations or rash batting now though.. Pakistan needs to bad the whole day.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Agent Nationaux said:
Because I would like to see more running between the wickets and a few more fours and sixes
FFS, why is it so hard to comprehend that it's better to take more singles and rotate the strike. Even an expert like Bob Willis has just said the same. Or are you more knowledgeable than him.

Yea, rotating the strike by hitting sixes.

And they don't need to do anything except what they've been doing.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I agree with you BW, but rotating the strike isn't rash and once in a while you have to strategically hit a spinner in order to put pressure.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You have to hit boundaries once in a while to make the opposition change the field and put pressure on a spinner.
Some batsmen will score more runs by attempting that; some will score less runs by attempting that as they're more suited to minimising risk and backing their concentration and technique. There's more than one way to skin a cat ffs.

smash84

The Tiger King
what's wrong in upping the run rate a bit when you are in a commanding position?

Some silly rants going on around here

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree with you BW, but rotating the strike isn't rash and once in a while you have to strategically hit a spinner in order to put pressure.
Correct but neither Misbah or Azhar Ali are an expert at finding gaps for singles...It would have served Pakistan's cause better if Younis was batting because once he gets set, he can finds gaps at will.. However at this point, given that this is the 3rd innings with 2 whole days left, I don't really mind this because I know Misbah can clear his left leg and go for the big ones if required during the end of the day....but he needs to stay till the end of the day.

Beleg

International Regular
i am not watching the game but going by cricinfo commentary it seems to me that they're missing out on a lot of singles, or mebbe they're simply unable to concentrate and place at the same time?

and that is a genuine limitation.

edit: umar akmal definitely needs to be drafted in.

Last edited:

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Nasser and all the other commies have been saying that they have to play positive on this wicket and look to hit spinners if they can.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
what's wrong in upping the run rate a bit when you are in a commanding position?

Some silly rants going on around here
You had the 'same silly rants' when I had criticized Misbah for not upping the run rate in the first two tests except in this situation the run rate is not that important considering its already the second innings with 2 more days to play.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Because there is no advantage in doing so...duh.

Scenario #1: If they score at a high pace, they will have enough time to bowl England out, and if they can't and England bat out the entire match, England will win.
Scenario #2: If they score at a lower pace, they will have enough time to bowl England out, and if they can't, and England bat out the entire match, England will win.

Difference? Scenario #1 has a greater chance of a loss than scenario #2. But hey, people want to see sixes.

If we are seriously arguing about this, Test cricket is ****ed.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Because there is no advantage in doing so...duh.

Scenario #1: If they score at a high pace, they will have enough time to bowl England out, and if they can't and England bat out the entire match, England will win.
Scenario #2: If they score at a lower pace, they will have enough time to bowl England out, and if they can't, and England bat out the entire match, England will win.

Difference? Scenario #1 has a greater chance of a loss than scenario #2. But hey, people want to see sixes.

If we are seriously arguing about this, Test cricket is ****ed.
While I don't think that Azhar and Misbah should be going for sixers now..but your argument is not 100% either.. because in scenario 1, if they bat at a higher pace, they will also end up setting a higher target for England.....you are not considering that..

Beleg

International Regular
silentstriker,

you're being a wee bit obtuse here. balls needs to be played on merit and if you can score without taking risks (i.e. playing across the line without judging the length, taking the aerial route, misjudged use of feet etc) then that should be done. the pitch doesn't seem to hold any demons and the bowling is accurate without being piercing.

hitting out for the sake of doing so is silly at this stage but there's absolutely nothing wrong with attempts at placing the ball and, in general, showing more positive intent. but that requires skills and this is where these batsmen might come up short.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
silentstriker,

you're being a wee bit obtuse here. balls needs to be played on merit and if you can score without taking risks (i.e. playing across the line without judging the length, taking the aerial route, misjudged use of feet etc) then that should be done. the pitch doesn't seem to hold any demons and the bowling is accurate without being piercing.

hitting out for the sake of doing so is silly at this stage but there's absolutely nothing wrong with attempts at placing the ball and, in general, showing more positive intent. but that requires skills and this is where these batsmen might come up short.
Well said... Ideally I would like to see Azhar Ali try to do that now that he has a century behind him and should feel more confident.... and if he is to take over the batting department of Pakistan after Younis and Misbah, he will need to develop the skill to rotate the strike without taking risks and false shots.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
silentstriker,

It's spinning and bouncing, facing decently accurate bowling with a field that's stopping their shots and on top of that, there are two and a half days left...I can't believe you can be watching the game and saying that.