• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official New Zealand Domestic Cricket 2011/2012 ***

Athlai

Not Terrible
Elliott can gagf. Franklin and Woodcock can be our weird Wellington stalwarts as they actually can score a few runs from time to time.

Pretty sure they're dominating in FC too.

Flem274*

123/5
Murdoch
Pollard (iirc he's in my domestic selector team so I need him to play)
Ryder (when he returns, assuming he doesn't go straight back into NZ)
Boam
Franklin
Woodcock
Cachopa
Kugglejuggle
Friday
McKay
Someone who isn't Jeets

Gillespie is pretty gun still, but he's unfit so often he should probably be viewed as a bonus, like Bond for NZ. Papps has been poo, so perhaps see if another opener can bring better form to the side.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Gillespie is pretty gun still, but he's unfit so often he should probably be viewed as a bonus, like Bond for NZ. Papps has been poo, so perhaps see if another opener can bring better form to the side.
Brodie, maybe, I like your team and I wish the Welly selectors would pick it and stick with it for the rest of the FC season.

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
Brodie, maybe, I like your team and I wish the Welly selectors would pick it and stick with it for the rest of the FC season.
Nah, that's not the Wellington way. They much prefer to keep rolling out the hasbeens (and I'm being kind when I say that) and continue to have their backsides handed to them year in year out instead of actually giving some younger players with actual futures in the game a decent run. I mentioned a few months back how Wellington cricket hadn't provided New Zealand cricket with a quality cricketer for sometime, that's because they're content with guys who average mid 30's or have decent returns with the ball every 10 games or so. Until they clear out the majority of this deplorable squad they're going to keep coming dead last in every competition while providing New Zealand cricket with zero talent.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Nah, that's not the Wellington way. They much prefer to keep rolling out the hasbeens (and I'm being kind when I say that) and continue to have their backsides handed to them year in year out instead of actually giving some younger players with actual futures in the game a decent run. I mentioned a few months back how Wellington cricket hadn't provided New Zealand cricket with a quality cricketer for sometime, that's because they're content with guys who average mid 30's or have decent returns with the ball every 10 games or so. Until they clear out the majority of this deplorable squad they're going to keep coming dead last in every competition while providing New Zealand cricket with zero talent.
Yep. What I don't understand is why different coaches have followed the same dead-end policies. Wellington cricket has been too blokey from the days when Grant Cederwall used to sleep under the covers the night before a game (guffaw guffaw). I thought this Siddons bloke might come in with a new broom but he's picked up the 30yo one and is using that. It's bollocks.

Howsie

International Captain
There are no young cricketers in Wellington with talent that haven't already been tried. This is the problem.
Aside from perhaps Ili Tugaga and Harry Boam which young Wellington player has actually been given a decent run in the side? Most of the time and Friday is a good example they get given a game to two before being dropped because the team is playing poorly.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Aside from perhaps Ili Tugaga and Harry Boam which young Wellington player has actually been given a decent run in the side? Most of the time and Friday is a good example they get given a game to two before being dropped because the team is playing poorly.
Look, it says something that they import guys like Kugglejuggle, Papps, Schaw, a host of Yarpies and Aussies and still get a **** team on the field. Other guys haven't been given a run as there's no one good enough.

I like Pollard, but they're giving him game time.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Look, it says something that they import guys like Kugglejuggle, Papps, Schaw, a host of Yarpies and Aussies and still get a **** team on the field. Other guys haven't been given a run as there's no one good enough.

I like Pollard, but they're giving him game time.
They don't give anyone enough time to find their feet. They have tested the theory of imported has-beens and cast-offs and we still finish bottom. Time to try a different tack. Give the young blokes a crack and actually stick with them,

Flem274*

123/5
Michael freaking Papps. If we actually actively recruited him, that is a shambles and we don't deserve any better quite frankly.
Signing Papps was a good plan at the time, because he's one of the better openers around and isn't likely to be a Black Cap any time soon. Wellington needed runs at the top of the order and Brodie wasn't producing.

It backfired, which is somewhat amusing since the Papps signing was seen as good work at the time and the Parlane culling as harsh and a bad call, and it's worked out completely the opposite.

I don't buy that Wellington have no one. Any side with Franklin and Woodcock in it should be posting decent totals in the Plunket Shield. They have an homegrown opener who averages 42 in first class cricket and some promising up and comers, at least as first class cricketers, like Boam and Pollard.

I guess one of their main problems this season is Papps, Elliott and whoever bats at three get out cheaply, and this leaves too much for Franklin and co. to do every game. I presume Ryder will get some Shield games in before South Africa so that should help.

The bowling seems too injury prone, and they have a few fringe Black Caps as well so the cupboard can go from full to "where the **** are all our bowlers?" pretty quickly I guess. Since they're so keen to blood Kugglejuggle I'm surprised they're not sticking with someone like Friday, who seems to have impressed everyone who has seen him play and I don't think he's ever disgraced himself in Shield cricket either.

Wish NZC would set up this live streaming they announced a few months back so we could see what's going on.

Flem274*

123/5
Bennett out for the season;

Hamish Bennett, the New Zealand fast bowler, will undergo surgery next month as he tries to overcome a persistent back injury. Bennett, 24, has been out of competitive cricket for more than ten months and is expected to miss the rest of the domestic season.
New Zealand news: Surgery to rule Hamish Bennett out of season | New Zealand Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

Sheesh, hope it works out for him. I completely forgot how young he was as well. At this rate he will be taking lots of arthritis meds at 40, poor bloke.