• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official New Zealand Domestic Cricket 2011/2012 ***

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Small! He may only be 19 but its a relief to finally see him produce a performance of note after floating around the fringes of the cd side for the last two years.
Good to hear he's not injured.

Jesse going ballistic against Otago at the moment.

Mike5181

International Captain
Good to see Bevan Small taking wickets. Hopefully Ryder is losing a bit of weight to go with the runs he's scoring as well.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I was starting to lose hope that any of the CD-raised promising fast bowlers bar Bracewell would be fit long enough and perform well enough to push up into BCs eventually. Small 5 wickets and McClenaghan's two 5-wicket bags (even if for Auckland) restore the faith a bit.

Milne's new action has too much rigidity and not enough Bond imo.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
I was starting to lose hope that any of the CD-raised promising fast bowlers bar Bracewell would be fit long enough and perform well enough to push up into BCs eventually. Small 5 wickets and McClenaghan's two 5-wicket bags (even if for Auckland) restore the faith a bit.

Milne's new action has too much rigidity and not enough Bond imo.
The rigidity is probably him trying to get use to the new action. It may become more natural looking the more he practises it.

So Small is more of a swing bowler correct? Mid 130's I presume but left arm?

I was talking to a couple of guys the other night who use to train with Mitchell and they were surprised he was going well this season especially as he is nothing more than med fast - 140 max.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Nothing wrong with being 130-140. I think you're thinking of Wheeler in your description of Small btw. He is right arm and you should be able to find footage somewhere on internet of him bowling from T20 champions trophy from a couple years ago.

Milne still has massive potential but looks like he's trying to be a different sort of bowling to what he was when he had that T20 v Pakistan.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
Nothing wrong with being 130-140. I think you're thinking of Wheeler in your description of Small btw. He is right arm and you should be able to find footage somewhere on internet of him bowling from T20 champions trophy from a couple years ago.

Milne still has massive potential but looks like he's trying to be a different sort of bowling to what he was when he had that T20 v Pakistan.
Yes I must have been thinking of Wheeler. Agreed nothing wrong with med fast as long as you have something else in the armory.

What do you think Milne is trying to do now vs when he played against Pakistan?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
The rigidity is probably him trying to get use to the new action. It may become more natural looking the more he practises it.

So Small is more of a swing bowler correct? Mid 130's I presume but left arm?

I was talking to a couple of guys the other night who use to train with Mitchell and they were surprised he was going well this season especially as he is nothing more than med fast - 140 max.
Mitch has swung it round corners in the last two games. Don't need to be 160 to get wickets when you're doing that. And I think the guys you talked to are being a bit harsh. Apparently bowled some quick spells at A tournament, certainly hurrying guys up from what I heard at Colin Maiden.

He deserves a bit of respect for coming back from two hip ops as well, being overlooked for a contract in CD etc.

The one that's frustrating is Wheeler. Saw him carve up Wellington (?) at Nelson Park last season, he was brutal. Sharp pace and swung it in, and late. They had no clues. And now obviously he's fighting body concerns as well.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yes I must have been thinking of Wheeler. Agreed nothing wrong with med fast as long as you have something else in the armory.

What do you think Milne is trying to do now vs when he played against Pakistan?
Only judging from HRV matches I saw. Previously he had the Bond action and was trying to bowl as fast as possible, and I kind of expected he'd get a bit of in-swing (though didn't seem to tbh). Ball flying everywhere - yorkers, bouncers, slower balls, everything. Now his action is much more controlled, less slingy, and looks more like he's aiming to bowl 140km/h consistently on a good length just outside off (it being T20 there were still plenty of exceptions to this). And presumably in FC would want to get a bit of seam movement, though I don't know how he's going with that. I don't think the new action would be great for swing at present.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Mitch M did smoke England A with pace. Was pretty slow for us in the CL but he was coming off an injury then iirc.

From what I gather he's always been pretty sharp and moved the ball, just very expensive (which he appears to be rectifying).

Flem274*

123/5
What is DJ Bartlett like? He's played a few games for Auckz this season. PEWS favourite cricket medium, the mighty radio, is saying he's squaring How up a bit.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Mitch M did smoke England A with pace. Was pretty slow for us in the CL but he was coming off an injury then iirc.

From what I gather he's always been pretty sharp and moved the ball, just very expensive (which he appears to be rectifying).
Oh I didn't know you'd finished your ban on commenting on MM :p

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
What is DJ Bartlett like? He's played a few games for Auckz this season. PEWS favourite cricket medium, the mighty radio, is saying he's squaring How up a bit.
Dean Bartlett, good honest seamer. Tall, hits the deck, probably struggles for consistency at times but might have a good future at domestic level - especially in four-dayers. Plays for an absolutely abysmal club side, which is neither here nor there.

Mike5181

International Captain
He used to dominate at first eleven level from memory. Went to Sacred Heart College up here in Auckland.

Robinson was struggling against him on the radio.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Bloody Jamie How scoring runs. I always rated him and it ****s me that he didn't stick around at test/ODI level.

Won't get back in the Black Caps now... how do I know this? As soon as you become captain of a domestic side that's the end - it's kind of like a consolation prize.

Last edited:

Mike5181

International Captain
Daniel Flynn is back playing for ND btw.

Reasonable news on Ryder. We have heard it before though:

"He's been doing all the right things. His calf's fit, he's lost some weight, everything's going along the path we need it to go for him to keep being selected for us," Siddons said.

Howsie

International Captain
Mitch has swung it round corners in the last two games. Don't need to be 160 to get wickets when you're doing that. And I think the guys you talked to are being a bit harsh. Apparently bowled some quick spells at A tournament, certainly hurrying guys up from what I heard at Colin Maiden.
Yeah I've seen McClenaghan bowl some quick spells in the past. Glad to see him back playing.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Bloody Jamie How scoring runs. I always rated him and it ****s me that he didn't stick around at test/ODI level.

Won't get back in the Black Caps now... how do I know this? As soon as you become captain of a domestic side that's the end - it's kind of like a consolation prize.
He has a wonderfully technically correct defensive system.

I can't remember how he used to get out in tests. But he used to find a way.

In ODIs during his recall he was attrocious.