• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE

Who do you think will win?!

• Total voters

Woodster

International Captain
Nah I'm with PEWS - he got wickets with some truly awful balls.
It's not just about the wicket deliveries though is it in a spell of 19 overs, you're basically talking about five balls. The Strauss one was not a great ball, Trott's was a loose shot brought about by good bowling leading up to it, KP's shot was poor but the delivery well executed, and a good short one to Cook who is an excellent player of the short ball but was cramped and rushed into the shot. All this happening on a pitch that offered the quick very little. It was a couple of spells of intent and as hostile as anyone could be on that track, he was assisted by some thoughtless batting but that's not his fault, he stuck the ball in the right areas and got his rewards.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
and also bowled a lot of awful balls in general. But at the end of the day, he picked up 4 wickets..that's cricket...you bowl well on days without much luck...you bowl average and pick up wickets..you bat well and get out...you bat poorly and score 85 runs in a semi final match.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
thought he bowled well was mainly tight and went past the bat on quite a few occasions some of the wickets were lucky but overall don't think his figures flattered him.

BeeGee

International Captain
It'll be interesting to see if England can come back from what was a complete thrashing.

The thing that made the No.1 Australian team of the 90s and early 2000s a truly great team was their ability to fight back when they were down. The number of times that the opposition had them on the ropes and they would always find some way of turning that situation around. Someone would always stand up.

Contrast that with the performance of the two recent No.1 teams, India and England. Nobody has stood up and fought their way out of trouble.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Now that the first test match is won, Misbah is going to aim for two draws here :ph34r:
Pakistani version of Gavaskar, minus the level of t**t that Gavaskar is.

Hey in the case of England we've done well in tight situations, we got hammered a Headingly in 09 and came back strongly and performed will in South Africa later on when we struggled in the first test and bounced back to win the next one. Also lets not forget the Perth test and the way we dug ourselves out at trent Bridge last year.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
It'll be interesting to see if England can come back from what was a complete thrashing.

The thing that made the No.1 Australian team of the 90s and early 2000s a truly great team was their ability to fight back when they were down. The number of times that the opposition had them on the ropes and they would always find some way of turning that situation around. Someone would always stand up.

Contrast that with the performance of the two recent No.1 teams, India and England. Nobody has stood up and fought their way out of trouble.
The difference is that India and England became number 1 without being a complete team. They are(England)/were(India) still better than the others, but they still have weak links whereas when Waugh's side made it, they were almost perfect - their openers were the best, their bowlers were the best, their keeper was the best, their middle order was the best. India always had a weak bowling line up even when they were number 1 and England have an under performing opener and an inconsistent middle order. Still back them to come back hard though...the match situation could have been different had Pakistan batted first..

Pakistan's batting is still very fragile and the only reason they managed to score some runs was because at the back of their minds, they knew England had only scored 190. Expect at least one collapse against Anderson, Broad and Swann pretty soon.

Woodster

International Captain

Pakistani version of Gavaskar, minus the level of t**t that Gavaskar is.

Hey in the case of England we've done well in tight situations, we got hammered a Headingly in 09 and came back strongly and performed will in South Africa later on when we struggled in the first test and bounced back to win the next one. Also lets not forget the Perth test and the way we dug ourselves out at trent Bridge last year.
As VT says we have invariably always bounced back from such disappointments, I appreciate what you're saying about Australia turning those situations around and not losing the Test in the first place, but that was an exceptional Aussie side and this England squad has a long way to go before they can be compared.

Also the series' that VT mentions when we have recovered well in the series none were in the sub-continent and this will prove more difficult to turn around. It's tough when you're chasing victory on these benign pitches, we obliged with poor shot selection and a lack of discipline in the opening Test, here's hoping Pakistan return the favour.

salman85

International Debutant
I will not be fussed,even for a second,if Misbah plays for a draw in the next two games.I want a series win.If we do that by being the most boring team in history,then be it.We aren't in a popularity contest to see who plays the most exciting game.We are here to win.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I will not be fussed,even for a second,if Misbah plays for a draw in the next two games.I want a series win.If we do that by being the most boring team in history,then be it.We aren't in a popularity contest to see who plays the most exciting game.We are here to win.
:thumbup:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
No problem whatsoever with the captain taking that route - but IMO the pitches should be result oriented.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
This has nothing to do with exciting or not exciting. I don't care about that either.
My issue is, when you go into the match with the mindset of drawing the game, you are extremely negative and that can cost you the match. These are not my words but the words of the great man in my avatar. When you play negative cricket, instead of exerting pressure on the opposition, you allow them to exert pressure on you because you are not even trying to win.

Sportsmen should be extremely greedy and very hard to satisfy. Misbah or any captain for that matter should never be satisfied with their performance. Misbah's approach should now be to win the next test match and make it 2-0. If they can achieve that, then the goal should be to win the next one and make it a whitewash. This is sports, you're meant to crush you opponent, not sit back and allow them to get away with a draw. Plus winning more test matches would ultimately help Pakistan's rankings and I don't know about you but I certainly am not happy with number 5. Look at the Australians..Warner who has barely played 5 test matches talks about wanting to be the number 1 team in the world...the first thing Clarke said after winning the series is the goal to be the number 1 team in the world. That is why you see the intensity in their performances.. I cannot understand the concept of winning 1 game and sitting on the laurels for the next 2. You don't become the number 1 team by drawing games, you become number 1 by winning games.
I cannot understand how a team can settle for anything less than the best..how can fans settle for anything less than the best..And this is what effected me the most about the spot fixing fiasco..it wasn't that they took bribes, or got caught, or were foolish, or got banned, or would never be able to play again. It was the fact that they did not care about winning a test match, about being the best. I just cannot understand that kind of thinking.

You don't become the number 1 team by drawing games, you become number 1 by winning games.

Last edited: