• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

So the ICC evidence is finally in - and apparently even Glen McGrath chucks...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah human eye is better than technology when we are talking about chucking. And it's the other way round for LBW decisions.
I'm consistent though; I trust the technology in both cases. Ajmal's new delivery looks highly dubious and needs to be tested; if it's tested and found within the limits I'll never say another word about it.

Spark

Global Moderator
CBF to read the entire thread, but can someone point out what advantage chuckers have over the legit ones? Is it the pace or turn?
Try bowling an off-break, then try chucking one. If you're any good, the difference will be... profound to say the least.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah human eye is better than technology when we are talking about chucking. And it's the other way round for LBW decisions.

I think it's best to blame BCCI for everything.
I don't think it's the technology which is the main issue. It's that the bowlers mignt not necessarily bowl the same way when they're being tested for flexion as in a match situation.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think it's the technology which is the main issue. It's that the bowlers mignt not necessarily bowl the same way when they're being tested for flexion as in a match situation.
If ICC can't test him in match conditions then that's ICC's problem. Poor guy Saeed Ajmal shouldn't be blamed for ICC's failure. And if it is best to rely of human eyes, then let field umpires make the final decision. Umpires who don't like Ajmal will call him, umpires who don't like Broad (just a random example) will call him - and ICC won't be able to take any action against the umpires in any case because, guess what, they won't have any basis to do that.

smash84

The Tiger King
If ICC can't test him in match conditions then that's ICC's problem. Poor guy Saeed Ajmal shouldn't be blamed for ICC's failure. And if it is best to rely of human eyes, then let field umpires make the final decision. Umpires who don't like Ajmal will call him, umpires who don't like Broad (just a random example) will call him - and ICC won't be able to take any action against the umpires in any case because, guess what, they won't have any basis to do that.
yeah.....fair point

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
It would be great if there was a screencap of Ajmal's Teesra mid-action, so we could actually study it. I don't actually remember seeing the 'teesra', though I wasn't paying that close attention. Did it cause any problems?

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It would be great if there was a screencap of Ajmal's Teesra mid-action, so we could actually study it. I don't actually remember seeing the 'teesra', though I wasn't paying that close attention. Did it cause any problems?
Why though? Stationary photos are pointless. It's not how far you bend your arm but how far you straighten it. You can have the most bent arm in the world as long as you keep it that way the whole way through the action.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm consistent though; I trust the technology in both cases. Ajmal's new delivery looks highly dubious and needs to be tested; if it's tested and found within the limits I'll never say another word about it.
Exactly. The delivery we are all questioning hasn't been tested so we're not saying we know better than the technlogy.

Not that the situations aren't analogous anyway, given there's no guarantee you bowl the same in a match as in a lab, but I wouldn't have thought I had to explain that to adults...

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ok, found it. Does look fairly dubious to me tbh, though since it doesn't seem to spin much I can't see what benefit chucking would have.
Like you, I haven't studied it much. I saw him bowl it a few times last night but didn't take alot of notice of it, but from what I can tell, the 'straightening' (or alleged throwing, whatever you want to say) would allow Ajmal to project the ball better from the hand, as he has limited power over the ball because he's only got the thumb and the middle finger wraped around it.

Without the 'straightening' it would just sort've float out.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, fair enough. See no reason why this delivery shouldn't be independently tested. Since its basically just a skiddy arm ball though I don't think it merits quite this amount of fuss.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Exactly. The delivery we are all questioning hasn't been tested so we're not saying we know better than the technlogy.

Not that the situations aren't analogous anyway, given there's no guarantee you bowl the same in a match as in a lab, but I wouldn't have thought I had to explain that to adults...
You are required to bowl with the same action - meaning the speeds, spin and your overall trajectory has to match up. And they are required to do it for long spells - and they compare the 2d action to make sure it looks the same on the whole. If you can keep spin bounce speed the same in a lab that you do in the field and do it with the same looking action it makes no sense if one would be a massive chuck while the other wouldnt be. Or at least you've passed the reasonable doubt as far as I'm concerned.

uvelocity

International Coach
Interesting development. In all the words of cricket I've read, that's the first I've heard of that. Measuring all of what happens after it leaves the hand, and it all matching up I'd think thats good enough to prove it's the same.

What gets allowed really doesn't look like bowling a lot of the time though.