• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE

Who do you think will win?!

• Total voters

Howe_zat

Audio File
I'm so excited for England playing Tests again that I keep going onto Cricinfo to see if they've put up a preview yet, even though I have no real interest in reading it. I'm not well.

Challis

U19 12th Man
That was just one lecture. And he is a scientist. He wouldn't be practising reverse swing with the players.
Obviously Troy Cooley taught the players but the question was who "taught" Cooley. Cooley initially got the information and data from Rabindra Mehta and then using this information, he started working with the players.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
hope Pakistan can be competitive both England and Australia (again) are starting to scare the **** out of me.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why was Tanvir Ahmed dropped? I know he doesn't fit the typical Pakistani quick bowler mould but he did do a good job, especially on the roads against SA.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Why was Tanvir Ahmed dropped? I know he doesn't fit the typical Pakistani quick bowler mould but he did do a good job, especially on the roads against SA.
It was probably pretty harsh but tbh he just wasn't very good. A better question would be how he managed to get picked in the first place, or how he managed to get the figures he did.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Tanvir Ahmad was a good new ball bowler. Wasn't quick and grunted a lot but Pakistan really needs to find a good new ball bowler like Asif/Amir.

Daemon

It was probably pretty harsh but tbh he just wasn't very good. A better question would be how he managed to get picked in the first place, or how he managed to get the figures he did.
Think he was picked because Pakistan at that time didn't want to gamble with newcomers and wanted a steady bowler, someone who had been performing domestically for a long time and someone with a lot of experience. He seemed alright to me, wasn't too quick obviously, though I remember him hurrying the SA batsmen quite a bit. Bowled a pretty good ball to get rid of Amla (or one of the openers), cut back in nicely. It was harsh to drop him imo, he did nothing wrong.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Think he was picked because Pakistan at that time didn't want to gamble with newcomers and wanted a steady bowler, someone who had been performing domestically for a long time and someone with a lot of experience. He seemed alright to me, wasn't too quick obviously, though I remember him hurrying the SA batsmen quite a bit. Bowled a pretty good ball to get rid of Amla (or one of the openers), cut back in nicely. It was harsh to drop him imo, he did nothing wrong.
Well I dispute that he'd been performing domestically for a long time, really - averaging 28 or so in the QEA Trophy is really nothing to write home about. He was picked ahead of several more "deserved" domestic players, one of which was Cheema, and the error was rectified. The dropping was harsh but the original selection was generous.

Daemon

Well I dispute that he'd been performing domestically for a long time, really - averaging 28 or so in the QEA Trophy is really nothing to write home about. He was picked ahead of several more "deserved" domestic players, one of which was Cheema, and the error was rectified. The dropping was harsh but the original selection was generous.
Right, I didn't know his domestic stats that well, I was wrong about that. Just looked them up and he took 97 wickets at 20 in 09/10, guess that's what prompted the selectors. I don't know the breakdown of that between the QEA and the Pentangular cup though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Right, I didn't know his domestic stats that well, I was wrong about that. Just looked them up and he took 97 wickets at 20 in 09/10, guess that's what prompted the selectors. I don't know the breakdown of that between the QEA and the Pentangular cup though.
Yeah he was a slightly above average seamer for ages, then he had a good season at the right time and it threw him into the side really. I think you could say the same about Wahab to a large extent as well though. He wasn't awful and he performed to the most of his ability but it's no disgrace he's not in the frame when Gul, Cheema are Junaid are there.

smash84

The Tiger King
it is always embarrassing to know that PEWS knows so much more about your domestic cricket than yourself

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I was being serious in the question. How did they all suddenly become experts in reverse swing? Who taught them reverse swing?
Its not just the English bowlers..many bowlers around the world have picked up on it..and mostly it is a case of necessity like it was with Pakistani bowlers..when you are bowling on flat decks and get nothing from the pitch, you have no option but to try out different things and as they say, necessity is the mother of invention.