• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We've just made over 1000 runs for the loss of 14 wickets this year, but whatever..
Yeah and were skittled twice by NZ and got 47 against SA in recent times.:laugh:

So losing every member of the order 3-7 for under 20 against this India attack today is good is it?

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah it is. I don't know the exact cause of it, but Johnson damaged the pill. Notice how Australia never need to change an out of shape ball any more?
Can't say that I have (your time zone sucks :p) but it's an interesting theory. I can't imagine maintaining a ball in any sort of condition is easy when you've got a bowler as random as Johnson.

I'd imagine thudding through into the keeper's gloves instead of smashing repeatedly into the fence is better for the ball as well.

Flem274*

123/5
Ok, which members of that attack would get into the England 2nd string attack of Finn, Tremlett, Onions and Panesar (presuming Bresnan was fit to be in main attack with Anderson, Broad and Swann)
I'd select every NZ bowler who played at Hobart plus Vettori over Panesar tbh.:p

And I don't see why England having lots of good bowlers degrades our attack?

Fair enough if you don't think much of them. Apart from Martin and Vettori, who are solid but unspectacular, they're all very young and very raw. They still have a lot to prove against South Africa and beyond. However, Doug Bracewell was exceptional at Hobart and in Zimbabwe (where he saved us from embarrassment by himself) and Boult was excellent on debut.

We didn't win the Hobart test because Australia were crap. They were cruising to victory until Doug bowled a matchwinner, and everyone defended a **** total in the first innings.

I don't disagree with you that they're unproven, and knowing NZ in general I won't be getting overexcited just yet, but they bowled well in Hobart and your logic in saying why they're not very good seems itstl.

Uppercut

Nah he is. Bowling much fuller, getting more movement etc. heart size the same tho

Also less unlucky. how bout that
I remember at the MCG there was a lot of talk about the fuller length but when they showed the pitch map he was actually still quite short most of the time. Reckon the Indian ****ness and the pitches may have created an illusion to some extent.

Definitely less unlucky though. He was always a pretty good bowler to begin with.

Burgey

Was that the tour he got seriously ill? was a top bowler and is doing a darn good job as coach so far. Better than Langer with the bats anyway.
That's fair comment re Langer, most definitely.

Yeah it was. He was bowling in a tour match and Border moved the field. McDermott didn't like it. Border heard him numbing and walked over. The conversation was picked up on camera and went something like this:

AB: what did you say to me?

CM: .........

AB: don't ****ing push me son. You speak back to me again son, you'll be on he next ****ing plane home.

CM: .......

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah and were skittled twice by NZ and got 47 against SA in recent times.:laugh:

So losing every member of the order 3-7 for under 20 against this India attack today is good is it?
Considering only two batsmen have passed fifty, I'm not too concerned about that. A lot of them got some very good nuts.

Burgey

He has only bowled us to victory in one game of each of the last ashes series. Never mind eh. Bring on next year and another crushing for you lot. No point having a half decent bowling line up if you can't bat.
I think you are over estimating your own side's batting against bowling not dissimilar to their own.

Btw, Lyon bowled is to a win in SL on debut. in helpful conditions like those Swann has used well the past two Ashes series.

Anyway, we wait and see.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd select every NZ bowler who played at Hobart plus Vettori over Panesar tbh.:p

And I don't see why England having lots of good bowlers degrades our attack?

Fair enough if you don't think much of them. Apart from Martin and Vettori, who are solid but unspectacular, they're all very young and very raw. They still have a lot to prove against South Africa and beyond. However, Doug Bracewell was exceptional at Hobart and in Zimbabwe (where he saved us from embarrassment by himself) and Boult was excellent on debut.

We didn't win the Hobart test because Australia were crap. They were cruising to victory until Doug bowled a matchwinner, and everyone defended a **** total in the first innings.

I don't disagree with you that they're unproven, and knowing NZ in general I won't be getting overexcited just yet, but they bowled well in Hobart and your logic in saying why they're not very good seems itstl.
Wait; you'd select Martin, Bracewell, Boult and Southee over Tremlett?

I mean Onions, Finn and those blokes - you could make a case. But over Tremlett. Really?

Ruckus

International Captain
I remember at the MCG there was a lot of talk about the fuller length but when they showed the pitch map he was actually still quite short most of the time. Reckon the Indian ****ness and the pitches may have created an illusion to some extent.

Definitely less unlucky though. He was always a pretty good bowler to begin with.
Would be confident though if you compared that to him, say, a year ago there would be still far more short stuff back then. All that says to me as well, is that he can improve even more. He knows what he has to do now.

Howe_zat

Audio File
The main reason for this is no Mitchell Johnson. Sure, the bowlers are pitching it up more and McDermott has helped in that regard, but Johnson scuffed the ball so much with his action and scrambled seam (I think that's what caused it) that it had an impact on the other bowlers ability as the ball wasn't kept in that great a condition.
Quite like this theory.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag

At least on both occasions we bounced back in the next Test and performed strongly. Our team is not sublime or clinical as it was for so long, but we can beat any country in the world with the group of players that are Test standard in our country.

Can't say that I have (your time zone sucks :p) but it's an interesting theory. I can't imagine maintaining a ball in any sort of condition is easy when you've got a bowler as random as Johnson.

I'd imagine thudding through into the keeper's gloves instead of smashing repeatedly into the fence is better for the ball as well.
I'm trying to find a report or something making mention on it, but it's hard to locate.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wait; you'd select Martin, Bracewell, Boult and Southee over Tremlett?

I mean Onions, Finn and those blokes - you could make a case. But over Tremlett. Really?
Current Tremlett is bowling medium pace in sun glasses because his eye is still ****ed