• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Don't think there's much between Australia's and South Africa's tbh.
I think there is now that they've picked Philander. I guess it depends on whether you're including Watson in the attack or not.

That said, for all the talk about Australia having "no spinner of note", Lyon's Test career has been far more impressive than Tahir's so far.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I actually thought about making the road to the 2013 super ashes thread the other day. do it spark.

flibbertyjibber

I still can't see a pic of McDermott without remembering that spray AB gave him on the 93 Ashes tour.

Gold.
Was that the tour he got seriously ill? was a top bowler and is doing a darn good job as coach so far. Better than Langer with the bats anyway.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Depth yes, but no spinner of note at all and Siddle and Hilfenhaus are hardly going to strike fear in English hearts if they roll up next year in the same attack seeing as we have beaten them twice already.
And South Africa's proven spinner is?

Can't agree about Siddle or Hilfenhaus either. Hilf was very good in 2009 and I think was the only full time quick who didn't bowl like a drain vs Pakistan in 2010. If Siddle bowls the lengths he's bowling just now then he'll be a handful. Both men did pretty well in 2009 given that it was their first tour to England and they had a combined 10 Tests worth of experience going into that series. They should be much more dangerous prospects in 2013 with 4 more years of experience behind them.

Burgey

Depth yes, but no spinner of note at all and Siddle and Hilfenhaus are hardly going to strike fear in English hearts if they roll up next year in the same attack seeing as we have beaten them twice already.
Mate, if you think Swann strikes fear into the hearts of our batsmen, you're mistaken.

Lyon is a tyro. Reckon he'll make it tbh. And if he does it'll be a fair effort given bowling finger spin here is a very tall order.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ok, which members of that attack would get into the England 2nd string attack of Finn, Tremlett, Onions and Panesar (presuming Bresnan was fit to be in main attack with Anderson, Broad and Swann)
England having a thousand good bowlers doesn't mean facing New Zealand's attack on a tricky deck isn't noteworthy. It's irrelevant really.

benchmark00

flibbertyjibber

Mate, if you think Swann strikes fear into the hearts of our batsmen, you're mistaken.

Lyon is a tyro. Reckon he'll make it tbh. And if he does it'll be a fair effort given bowling finger spin here is a very tall order.
He has only bowled us to victory in one game of each of the last ashes series. Never mind eh. Bring on next year and another crushing for you lot. No point having a half decent bowling line up if you can't bat.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ok, which members of that attack would get into the England 2nd string attack of Finn, Tremlett, Onions and Panesar (presuming Bresnan was fit to be in main attack with Anderson, Broad and Swann)
On the basis of that one performance, Bracewell would be the first chosen

Finn is a cash and carry bowler, Tremlett and Onions are walking injuries whilst Warner would've scored 223* if Monty was playing

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think there is now that they've picked Philander. I guess it depends on whether you're including Watson in the attack or not.

That said, for all the talk about Australia having "no spinner of note", Lyon's Test career has been far more impressive than Tahir's so far.
I'd still rate South Africa ahead but I don't particularly rate Morkel and I'd like to see how Philander does outside South Africa.

If I was selecting for a Test tomorrow I'd take South Africa's attack, but with experience and games together I see no reason why Australia's won't be better in a year or two.

Uppercut

Hilf is really obviously a much improved bowler, it only took one ball for everyone on CW to notice that he was a yard quicker off the pitch and swinging it a lot later. Not quite so sure Siddle's that much different, the pitches have favoured him a lot this series and India have played him terribly.

Subhadeep

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Chris Martin, ahead of Onions. Has Onions even played a full series outside England? And on that day, Dougie Bracewell bowled as well as Finn has ever bowled. You are overrating England's bowlers.

Spikey

Hilf is really obviously a much improved bowler, it only took one ball for everyone on CW to notice that he was a yard quicker off the pitch and swinging it a lot later. Not quite so sure Siddle's that much different, the pitches have favoured him a lot this series and India have played him terribly.
Nah he is. Bowling much fuller, getting more movement etc. heart size the same tho

Also less unlucky. how bout that

Ruckus

International Captain
He has only bowled us to victory in one game of each of the last ashes series. Never mind eh. Bring on next year and another crushing for you lot. No point having a half decent bowling line up if you can't bat.
Haha I'm actually liking this. Been too much flowery praise between the two enemies of late. Your starting to make me really hate the English again.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
We've just made over 1000 runs for the loss of 14 wickets this year, but whatever..

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Swann has the most padded record in international cricket

FMD, he averages 40 against the worst Oz teams we've put in the field for 2 decades and does the same against shell-shocked India

Guy is a complete fraud and I almost gag every time I hear him referred to as "the world's best spinner" as it does nothing more than point out how low spinning stocks are