• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
It's going to be a difficult decision to work out which quick to leave out in Adelaide now. Most consider Harris > Starc, but has this spell convinced the selectors to think otherwise? My guess is yes, unless they like Rhino's experience at Adelaide.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Thing is, all the Aussies ITT can empathise. Shoe was on the other foot 12 months ago.
True. But most Aussies were convinced that the best XI wasn't being chosen ever. I mean we had Steve Smith in our top 6 and Xavier Doherty played some Tests!

India on paper appear quite good, I suppose they are going to have to back the likes of Rahane, Pujara, Rohit etc soon and hope a couple of them develop into test class batsman.

Jayzamann

International Regular
Starc the only bowling with a <30 average right now, and he's always one scalp away from changing that.

Almost an embarrassment of riches when it comes to bowling stocks, the seven they mentioned on air just then (minus Mitch possibly).

Ruckus

International Captain
The only difference is I've actually seen Starc swing the ball at other grounds. He's getting huge swing here at Perth though
Yeah true, unlike Johnson though, Starc actually bowls with a decent seam position, so he'll get it to swing far more consistently. But in his previous games the swing has looked relatively harmless. The wind really seems to turn standard inwswing into something a lot more dangerous, it makes the ball go way later. The ball Harris bowled to Dravid is a good example of that, that swung in so late and it was a miracle Dravid blocked it out.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
****. Just realised this means a huge gap between the end of this test and the start of the next where I'll have nothing to watch.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's going to be a difficult decision to work out which quick to leave out in Adelaide now. Most consider Harris > Starc, but has this spell convinced the selectors to think otherwise? My guess is yes, unless they like Rhino's experience at Adelaide.
Yeah I'd definitely take Harris but I'd be surprised if the selectors didn't pick Starc now.

Ruckus

International Captain
Starc still isn't ready for test cricket. If Harris is fully fit, and doesn't need to be rested, I'd be going with him every day of the week on what is likely to be a very flat pitch.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Starc still isn't ready for test cricket. If Harris is fully fit, and doesn't need to be rested, I'd be going with him every day of the week on what is likely to be a very flat pitch.
Harris is literally never fully fit though. His fitness will never IMO be at a level I'd be completely secure with going into a match again. I'd still pick him ahead of Starc but the selectors rate the current quality of Starc a lot higher than I do and he's bowled really well here so he'll get the nod IMO.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah I'd definitely take Harris but I'd be surprised if the selectors didn't pick Starc now.
Big mistake, IMHO. Stating the obvious as it may be, but doing it at the WACA totally different kettle of fish to Adelaide.

Hope the selectors can move away from that kind of rigid thinking.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Nice to see Cricinfo is keeping the commentary standards high.

22.5 Starc to Dravid, no run, a bouncer this time, just outside off, Kohli ducks under it

Ruckus

International Captain
Harris is literally never fully fit though. His fitness will never IMO be at a level I'd be completely secure with going into a match again. I'd still pick him ahead of Starc but the selectors rate the current quality of Starc a lot higher than I do and he's bowled really well here so he'll get the nod IMO.
Well yeah, frankly I don't even really care at this stage. Assuming we win this test now, it's a dead rubber so it might not be a bad idea to rest Harris and give Starc some more experience.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Big mistake, IMHO. Stating the obvious as it may be, but doing it at the WACA totally different kettle of fish to Adelaide.

Hope the selectors can move away from that kind of rigid thinking.
Adelaide being such a hard graft in general makes me think they'd be unlikely to pick someone under a fitness cloud though, especially after what happened with Bollinger.

As I said I'd definitely pick Harris but I'd be surprised if they did now, tbh. It'll be 3-0 so they'll see it as a risk-free opportunity to build for the future, Starc has momentum now, Harris didn't bowl his best in this match and isn't fully match fit - etc etc. It's just enough for me to sway the balance in quality but I think it'll be different for the selectors.