• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE

Who do you think will win?!

• Total voters

amanuensis

U19 12th Man
Never pick a batsman on his ability to bowl and bopara? :@
I'm not doing that. I'm talking about a way of incorporating two spinners in the side, should that make sense - he's a better seamer than Trott! And Morgan isn't anything to write home about as a test batsman.

Last edited:

L Trumper

State Regular
I'm not doing that. I'm talking about a way of incorporating two spinners in the side, should that make sense - he's a better seamer than Trott! And Morgan isn't anthing to write home about as a test batsman.
In odi's yes, tests not sure.

Morgan will be given next two tours to prove himself (unless he fails horribly). If he can't mark down his place by then, they will go for the next cab off the rank which may be bopara.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
With Bresnan injured I'd reckon that unless we go to the 3rd Test 0-0, the chances of us going with 5 bowlers is zero.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah, it stopped being a reasonable option as soon as he flew home, and then they didn't call up an allrounder to replace him.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
I'm no fan of Bopara, but could he not function as a third seamer & fifth bowler? He wouldn't need to bowl that much alongside two spinners.
In a test match? No way. He's part-time quality.

Used to be slightly better but his bowling has tailed off.

amanuensis

U19 12th Man
In a test match? No way. He's part-time quality.

Used to be slightly better but his bowling has tailed off.
What do they do then if they're confronted with a wicket that looks like it'll offer virtually nothing to the frontline seamers, bearing in mind the way Pakistan under Misbah bat, ie. dull but disciplined? Depend on Pietersen, ie. the odd good ball mixed in with complete tripe?

NasserFan207

What do they do then if they're confronted with a wicket that looks like it'll offer virtually nothing to the frontline seamers, bearing in mind the way Pakistan under Misbah bat, ie. dull but disciplined? Depend on Pietersen, ie. the odd good ball mixed in with complete tripe?
There's no such wicket. Good bowlers will always get something out of even the flattest track.

In any case, like many have said its just not happening in the first test. Not a chance.

chalky

International Debutant
Judging by Onions figures he hasn't been able to rid himself of the "4 ball" every over. A real shame really as in IMO pre injury it was the only thing kept him from being a top class bowler (he was a fine bowler anyway).

amanuensis

U19 12th Man
Not really a lot of wickets for 4 years worth of First Class cricket though.
But I'm not suggesting anything more than a very specific, limited role - bowl a handful of overs with the new ball & a spell later on with the old one. I'm struggling to accept that he can't do that better than Trott.

theegyptian

if Morgan fails second time around and the wicket for the test is a standard uae wicket I'd seriously consider playing Bopara and Panesar at 6 and 11.

Morgan is coming off a relatively serious injury and hasn't exactly proved himself in test cricket. However bad Bopara is I don't think he'll be that much worse than Morgan in the first test in terms of batting.

Tremlett is too much of a risk for third seamer given he hasn't played for nigh on six months and finn and onions are meh so they may go down the two spinner/two fast bowler route and you will need bopara in that case - his bowling is not great but you can get 10 or 15 overs out of him a day if needed.

Panesar got through a lot of overs for sussex last season especially in the first innings where he bowled containing spells well. Swann really comes into things in the second innings.

but I think they'll go in with the standard

Strauss
Cook
Trott
Pietersen
Bell
Morgan
Prior
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Finn

regardless of the way things go tomorrow. That's just the way they'll go.

Last edited: