• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE

Who do you think will win?!

• Total voters

Spark

Global Moderator
Well considering it's a completely different wrist position it's obviously going to be easy. Reading it is one thing though and keeping it out is another.
Based on that it doesn't turn a great deal, it's basically just a quick slider. Really, an international class batsman should be keeping that out with very little bother.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Crappy performance by the PCB XI. But for most of these guys it is their first go at international cricket.

Ayub and Salahuddin did OK but expected more from Alam and Shehzad.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Based on that it doesn't turn a great deal, it's basically just a quick slider. Really, an international class batsman should be keeping that out with very little bother.
But he's an offie so it's probably going to just that little bit harder

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyone think Swanny may have been getting a tad complacent in his undroppable status over the last year or so, a bit comfortable? Maybe a bit of a reality check like this is a good thing.

Or maybe I'm reading too much into it and his form just isn't great.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anyone think Swanny may have been getting a tad complacent in his undroppable status over the last year or so, a bit comfortable? Maybe a bit of a reality check like this is a good thing.

Padded record IMO

Simply on the inevitable slide towards a career average of early 30s

Woodster

International Captain
I don't think the balance of the England side for the opening Test will throw up too many surprises. Morgan, imo, will retain his place ahead of Bopara with the latter not playing in either of the tour games, cannot imagine they'd just put him straight into the first Test. Despite a five-for for Monty, he'll have to watch the opening Test from the side with England going with Anderson, Broad, Tremlett and Swann. At a push they may go with Finn over Tremlett for fitness reasons.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

I've been tempted along those lines as well. Maybe unfair, but there you go. Batting's tailed off as well as his bowling. Probably more karma than laziness.

L Trumper

State Regular
Can't believe england fans want to go with 5 bowlers in the first test. Tail end batting is england's biggest strength, if you go with 5 bowlers it will simply go powder puff. People may think, if no:6 can't score why bother with the place at all, but there is a huge difference in confidence for a batting order with 6 + prior and 5 + prior. Luckily team knows it though, unlike fans.

amanuensis

U19 12th Man
I don't think the balance of the England side for the opening Test will throw up too many surprises. Morgan, imo, will retain his place ahead of Bopara with the latter not playing in either of the tour games, cannot imagine they'd just put him straight into the first Test. Despite a five-for for Monty, he'll have to watch the opening Test from the side with England going with Anderson, Broad, Tremlett and Swann. At a push they may go with Finn over Tremlett for fitness reasons.
There isn't a third tour match, so presumably that rules Bopara out completely. Is that not a bit stupid, given that he's pretty much the only way now of getting a second spinner into the side?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can't believe england fans want to go with 5 bowlers in the first test. Tail end batting is england's biggest strength, if you go with 5 bowlers it will simply go powder puff. People may think, if no:6 can't score why bother with the place at all, but there is a huge difference in confidence for a batting order with 6 + prior and 5 + prior. Luckily team knows it though, unlike fans.
It's more like 6 + Morgan or 6 though. Prior is a Test class batsman. Anyway I also don't see how it's become a realistic option with Bresnan out of the series and including Donkey as a second spinner. I'd be massively surprised if England went with 5 bowlers.

L Trumper

State Regular
It's more like 6 + Morgan or 6 though. Prior is a Test class batsman. Anyway I also don't see how it's become a realistic option with Bresnan out of the series and including Donkey as a second spinner. I'd be massively surprised if England went with 5 bowlers.
Yeah bresnan is one lower order batsman who can actually play defensively. All others are a bit gung-ho , which works for their positions, but not if everyone moves up a order without bresnan it won't work.

Spark

Global Moderator
But he's an offie so it's probably going to just that little bit harder
No harder than playing Ashwin's carrom ball IMO and I don't think I've seen a top order Aus batsman ever look remotely troubled by it. It's a nice variation to keep the batsman honest but he's kidding himself if he thinks it'll be anywhere near as effective as his stock offie or his doosra. It's probably more mind games as anything, as the English bats had next to no clue against him last time.

Last edited:

amanuensis

U19 12th Man
I'm no fan of Bopara, but could he not function as a third seamer & fifth bowler? He wouldn't need to bowl that much alongside two spinners.