• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

L Trumper

State Regular
Chances of Starc splaying around is possible, ala tait 4 years ago. 4 pacers is always a gamble, unless one of those produces a magnificent spell(or all of them are awesome). Also there will be a lot of pressure to do everything within first 50 - 55 overs. If three pacers can't do the job, it is very hard to see four doing it. I used to think india is the one team where you can gamble, but now indians punish pace very well if you err in your line & length, more so than spin imo. Anyway with 2-0 lead might as well take a chance.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But Lyon hardly bowled in Melbourne or Sydney, so I don't actually see it as taking a gamble, if anything it's the safe option with Ryan Harris' fitness unproven in a match situation. If they do go for four quicks, which I think they should, then they'll have Starc as cover for Harris is the worst happens.

There's no rule saying Starc has to bowl more overs than what Lyon did in the last two matches is there?

And let's face it, India are hardly punishing the pace bowlers at the moment are they?

L Trumper

State Regular
But Lyon hardly bowled in Melbourne or Sydney, so I don't actually see it as taking a gamble, if anything it's the safe option with Ryan Harris' fitness unproven in a match situation. If they do go for four quicks, which I think they should, then they'll have Starc as cover for Harris is the worst happens.

There's no rule saying Starc has to bowl more overs than what Lyon did in the last two matches is there?

And let's face it, India are hardly punishing the pace bowlers at the moment are they?
That is something inevitably happens, which is kinda my point. There is a difference between bowling three pacers and not trusting the spinner ; and bowling three pacers and not trusting the fourth one.

I still think this indian line up is still have something left, and just a hunch that they are going to deliver at WACA.

L Trumper

State Regular
Of course he won't, but not bowling a spinner is not same as not bowling a pacer. Anyway its all a moot point. They will go with the four pacers, if sehwag or laxman gets going then aus will be in trouble otherwise they will win again.

Spikey

Yep I'm def on the "playing Starc is actually the safe option" line. There's just little to suggest lyon will trouble India. He's a right arm off spinner bowling to a mostly right handed batting order who just so happen to eat 'decent enough but...." spinners for breakfast. I admit the extra bounce + Freo doctor may help with drift and spin, and if both spinners were to play I'm backing Lyon to do a bit better than Ashwin, but. Worth noting I'm not having much luck lately with the views I take so Lyon might go ahead and take a 5er but the only benefit I see of Lyon over Starc is that the over-rate will be quicker. Neither Starc or Lyon inspire much confidence when it comes to wicket taking prospects but I'm backing Starc to offer a bit more as that 4th bowler than Lyon. Left arm, tall, bouncy, capable of inswing to the right hander. Who know, Starc might do a MJ and start swinging it left right and centre. Or he might bowl a beamer and take out Sachin. Lyon is like using Tackle in 'Pokemon'. You're not getting much, but you know what to expect

And btw don't ****ing mention Tait. A) He's ****, B) He went into that match with a hamstring injury and C) He still put up a better performance than the one ****ing Hogg would have put up.

#PreparedToTasteIt

Last edited:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Would go Lyon myself. You choose a side for five days and the track could well suit spin later on.

That and I don't think Starkers has the consistency to warrant a Test spot.

We've been bowling such a disciplined line and length, building pressure and taking wickets because of it. I'd like to continue down that path.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Dravid was asked if there had been any motivational talks. "It's not like we sat down and had a big meeting and discussed these things," he said. "There are lot of conversations that happen in the dressing room, over dinner and when we go go-karting"

:laugh: Rahul wag
:laugh:

flibbertyjibber

Seeing as I have a crappy day ahead sitting in waiting for a cooker to be delivered and fitted then I am recording the play and watching it as live in the day tomorrow. Fully expecting another dominant display by Australia and them going 3-0 up.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'd strongly consider four quicks if the pitch is as green as promised.

Only problem would be if the selectors then go for the full ****** option of keeping the all-seam attack for Adelaide. Shades of Headingley/Oval in '09. "Horses for course" isn't a dirty phrase. "Frothing at the gash" is tho.

flibbertyjibber

I'd strongly consider four quicks if the pitch is as green as promised.

Only problem would be if the selectors then go for the full ****** option of keeping the all-seam attack for Adelaide. Shades of Headingley/Oval in '09. "Horses for course" isn't a dirty phrase. "Frothing at the gash" is tho.
They did the same last year too in the ashes after Perth. Just because it works at one ground doesn't mean it the right thing to do everywhere.

Burgey

"There's a bare foot bloke with a beer on the pitch! Quick, move the game to Mumbai!"

Fmd. Last minute ground works :ph34r: