• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

Spark

Global Moderator
Thought last year's deck was OKish in a subcontinental kind of way. Not a fun deck to bat on Day 4/5 given how much it was turning.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Am luke warm on Perth Tests

The whole ground leaves me cold, it's so far away, and the pitch is from planet Mars

That said, Channel Nine are showing the Test on GEM during the news bulletin
Something ALWAYS bloody happens in that 10 minutes we never used to see before the tea break, thank goodness common sense has prevailed and we get the test on GEM when ch 9 cornt be orsed.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't hold a grudge for that, I just do not like the guy one single bit. And I think if I was in a team, no matter how well we were going, I wouldn't pipe up and beat my chest if I wasn't contributing. Not my right.

They need to be ruthless like they were when Healy was in his last days.
That's good, because 'blantantly cheating' was getting a bit carried away. But the discussion about the incident has been done to death.

heathrf1974

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
During a press conference today Dhoni was asked,
'What is worse: losing to England 4-0 or Australia 4-0?'
Dhoni replied 'There are different ways to die and none of them are pleasant.'
or something to that effect.:laugh:

Jayzamann

International Regular
Bit presumptuous, that question.

Also, Ashley Mallett: The problems with Lyon and Ashwin | Opinion | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

As for Ashwin, he bowls the odd good offbreak, a ball with dipping flight, like the splendid delivery that deceived Michael Hussey at the MCG - only for Rahul Dravid to wake up too late at slip to latch on to a dolly of a catch. But Ashwin bowls too many of those silly leg-floaters, which he calls the "Sudoku ball". Ashwin learnt to bowl the delivery - along the lines of Ajantha Mendis' finger-flicked offerings - in the backstreets of Chennai with a tennis ball. But unlike the Australians Jack Iverson and Johnny Gleeson, and Mendis himself, all of whom developed finger-flicked deliveries, Ashwin gets next to no purchase on his Sudoku ball. He "rolls" the delivery in similar fashion to ex-England left-armer Ashley Giles, who seemingly got about as much purchase on a cricket ball as you would need to take the fluff off a peach.
:laugh:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Heard reports today Lyon is likely to play, but I don't know if that's a red herring being tossed about.

I'm not Gambhiring here (brilliant, the iPhone has it in the dictionary now), but I think this is a danger game for our blokes. There's a fair bit of hubris about the place.

Spikey

Reckon they'll play if safe and play Lyon, although personally I reckon playing Starc is much more safer. I note Lyon's good FC debut there, and also Hauritz's good record there, but it's India.

Ruckus

International Captain
Hmm that's disappointing if that turns out to be the case. I don't see much benefit in playing Lyon at all on what is likely to be predominately a fast bowlers wicket. Also means there is no backup option if Harris breaks down (and apparently he has some genuine fear about that himself). Starc adds a bit with the bat to our tail as well.

Spark

Global Moderator
Heard reports today Lyon is likely to play, but I don't know if that's a red herring being tossed about.

I'm not Gambhiring here (brilliant, the iPhone has it in the dictionary now), but I think this is a danger game for our blokes. There's a fair bit of hubris about the place.
Yeah agreed. Have to be careful. To be fair the hubris has more been from outside the team.

howardj

International Coach
The ultimate whammy against Lyon playing this match, is not the nature of the wicket, but rather Clarke's reluctance to bowl him will be even greater than it already is because of the nature of the wicket.

Spikey

Hmm that's disappointing if that turns out to be the case. I don't see much benefit in playing Lyon at all on what is likely to be predominately a fast bowlers wicket. Also means there is no backup option if Harris breaks down (and apparently he has some genuine fear about that himself). Starc adds a bit with the bat to our tail as well.
Well, a bouncy pitch helps him just as much as the fast bowlers imo. the freo doctor will help with drift too, no? But he's still playing against India...

in before Vic says something like "it didn't seam much last time remember" btw

benchmark00

I heard they were leaning towards Starceh, which surprised me.

I'd go with Starceh (out of the two options, would've gone with Macca/Christian). Just think Clarke/Ponting can do just as an effective job as Lyon against India here.

Last edited:

Sylvester

State Captain
I've got a feeling they will go with Starc, if he was going to be 12th man they would have announced it already like they have all summer.

Ruckus

International Captain
Btw why the feck is Mitchell Starc's nickname Starcy or something else as banal? Gotta be either 'Tony' or 'Ironman' surely.