• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't buy this 'Sehwag has to play his natural game in order to succeed' thing. He has to change his game and be more cautious (especially outside off-stump) if he wants to be a more consistent performer outside SC. I don't see any reason why he can't do it, if he really wants.

Of course, I don't mind him playing his natural game on flat tracks.
His first job surely has to be hit the ball on the ground - a ball that bounces twice before going over the rope counts the same as one that goes along the carpet. Taking on the ring fielders here is just such a comically bad idea.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
His first job surely has to be hit the ball on the ground - a ball that bounces twice before going over the rope counts the same as one that goes along the carpet. Taking on the ring fielders here is just such a comically bad idea.
awta

Abhishek_dada

Cricket Spectator
Sehwag should be aggressive .Its his natural approach
At this juncture of his career it would be outright foolish to change it.:blink::wacko:
Having said that there are certain adjustments which can be made by the Nawab Of Najafgarh......
as the Test is being held outside the SC.
IMO if he leaves out the good deliveries and punishes the bad ones taking a calculative approach ,it will be good for India.
Playing less lofted shots in the initial phase of the game would not be that bad:D

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Having said that the WACA could work to your advantage as hitting it over gully/point is a very legitimate way of playing there. But for goodness sake then make sure you hit it over and not at them.

Ruckus

International Captain
I doubt Sehwag would benefit at all with attempts to change his technique at this stage. In this series his best bet is to probably play exactly how he wants to and hope either the wicket is flat, the bowling is lousy or he gets a healthy dose of luck. If he tries to be more defensive he'll probably just be rolled even more cheaply...at least if he goes hard there is a chance he'll make a quick, streaky 50 or so like he did in Melbourne.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I doubt Sehwag would benefit at all with attempts to change his technique at this stage. In this series his best bet is to probably play exactly how he wants to and hope either the wicket is flat, the bowling is lousy or he gets a healthy dose of luck. If he tries to be more defensive he'll probably just be rolled even more cheaply...at least if he goes hard there is a chance he'll make a quick, streaky 50 or so like he did in Melbourne.
Yeah I don't reckon he'll last long if he starts plodding outside off.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Having said that the WACA could work to your advantage as hitting it over gully/point is a very legitimate way of playing there. But for goodness sake then make sure you hit it over and not at them.
I tend to think a lot of Sehwag's tendancy to uppercut over the slips comes from people deciding they're going to bounce him, and either not getting it right or doing it on a pitch lacking in the right amount of zip.

Perth tends to have the latter ofc, but bowling too short and doing it wrong is a perennial problem there. So we ought to see a fair bit of that - if Aus fail to do the sensible thing and aim to keep getting him in exactly the same way as they have been doing.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
By 'being cautious' I don't mean that he should start playing backfoot defensive strokes to deliveries outside off all of a sudden. Rather he should leave more good deliveries outside off-stump, that's it. I don't see how that can bring his downfall.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, all (or maybe 3/4) of his dismissals have been to unnecessary shots to balls outside off with no foot movement. That being said, nearly all his runs come that way as well..

Abhishek_dada

Cricket Spectator
By 'being cautious' I don't mean that he should start playing backfoot defensive strokes to deliveries outside off all of a sudden. Rather he should leave more good deliveries outside off-stump, that's it. I don't see how that can bring his downfall.
if he does as you are saying ,Viru will be quite ok.
If India were to bat first ,i ll like him to stay at the crease for at least a couple of sessions.
That will get the game rolling at a fast pace.By the time its tea,the scorecard may read:
INDIA :266/5 in 60 overs
Sehwag 151*(156):D:D:D:p:D

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Everyone talks about Sehwag's balance. At the moment, it's just a little bit out, he's trying to hit the ball a bit too hard and leaning back on the ball, rather than relying on his fantastic timing.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, all (or maybe 3/4) of his dismissals have been to unnecessary shots to balls outside off with no foot movement. That being said, nearly all his runs come that way as well..
In stead of attempting 100(110) that he makes in easy conditions, all I am saying is that leave those 40 extra good deliveries to make 100(150) when the conditions are not-so-easy. I know that judging those good deliveries might not be the easiest thing to do, but a batsman of his class can definitely do it if he tries. Also, like Spark mentioned he should keep an eye on fielders at the periphery of the inner circle in the off-side.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
In stead of attempting 100(110) that he makes in easy conditions, all I am saying is that leave those 40 extra good deliveries to make 100(150) when the conditions are not-so-easy. I know that judging those good deliveries might not be the easiest thing to do, but a batsman of his class can definitely do it if he tries. Also, like Spark mentioned he should keep an eye on fielders at the periphery of the inner circle on the off-side.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So essentially what you're saying is that In stead of attempting 100(110) that he makes in easy conditions, all I am saying is that leave those 40 extra good deliveries to make 100(150) when the conditions are not-so-easy. I know that judging those good deliveries might not be the easiest thing to do, but a batsman of his class can definitely do it if he tries. Also, like Spark mentioned he should keep an eye on fielders at the periphery of the inner circle on the off-side.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
In the latest edition of Inside Cricket magazine, there is an interview with Greg Chappell on his stint as Indian coach. They specifically ask him about Sachin.

He retells a conversation he had with Tendulkar where Chappell said to him something like "you must have millions of friends in India. How do you make time to see them all?"

To with Sachin replied with "Greg, you would have more friends in India than I do."

Pretty sure Sachin doesn't ring up Federer and Tiger and ask them to come around and play some board games.
haha, yeah.. Sachin mentioned in a few interviews that he admires Roger Federer. Federer does the same and they meet up at Wimbledon and talk for a bit and now suddenly they are close friends.. ;)