• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

Ruckus

International Captain
It's still a bit ridiculous. Ponting didn't bat well during his hundred at Sydney? Had almost no false shots, far fewer than Clarke in fact on the first evening when Clarke was in a more attacking mode than him. OK, it wasn't his most fluent but it was very composed. Tendulkar no longer has the ability to play superb innings on tough wickets? Must have lost it some time last year then, because he sure as hell had it last January.
Hard to know without context, but that's probably what he is getting at. And he is right. As much as it was chanceless (basically), gritty knock, it was still a long way from a batsman who is at ease. He is still yet to gain the rhythm necessary to be at the top of his game (or close to it).

Spark

Global Moderator
No, he isn't right at all. He might not have been batting at his best, but anyone who says he wasn't batting well is ****ing delusional.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hard to know without context, but that's probably what he is getting at. And he is right. As much as it was chanceless (basically), gritty knock, it was still a long way from a batsman who is at ease. He is still yet to gain the rhythm necessary to be at the top of his game (or close to it).
Ponting has always been prone to LBW early in his innings. By saying that, you would then have to say Ponting has never batted well in his career.

He batted flawlessly, regardless of the quality of bowling. Harvey obviously wrote Ponting off a few months ago and doesn't want to admit he's wrong.
:whistling

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I actually reckon that's the most composed and least ridiculous Harvey interview ever if that's indeed what he said. Nothing there is outlandish at all.
Besides those points, he also says that Bradman would have averaged 199.94 in the modern era.

Spark

Global Moderator
Ponting has always been prone to LBW early in his innings. By saying that, you would then have to say Ponting has never batted well in his career.

He batted flawlessly, regardless of the quality of bowling. Harvey obviously wrote Ponting off a few months ago and doesn't want to admit he's wrong.
IIRC Harvey has never rated Ponting that highly at all.

Besides those points, he also says that Bradman would have averaged 199.94 in the modern era.
Back in my day...

In the way he's the exact opposite of fanboys who are obsessed with trying to prove that pre-1950 cricket was basically park standard.

Last edited:

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
IIRC Harvey has never rated Ponting that highly at all.

Back in my day...

In the way he's the exact opposite of fanboys who are obsessed with trying to prove that pre-1950 cricket was basically park standard.
Makes sense. I make a point not to read opinions by bitter old gits.

Hence why I have Burgey on ignore.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
No suprise to see Neil Harvey talking absolute nonsense. The guy is just a complete moron, right up there with Jeff Thompson.

Xuhaib

International Coach

yeah but when Ponting is batting well, he is always early on the ball and you know anything targeted to the pads will be flicked with ease. During the entire period Zaheer never went for the pads or when he did he misdirected. He was batting ok but was still not that in that zone where he becomes invulnerable to a good inducker.

Spark

Global Moderator
It might just have been Clarke but I remember bucketloads of runs being scored on the legs (compared to other scoring zones) early on in the innings.

This gives me a tailor made excuse to watch highlights again :cool:

Ruckus

International Captain
No, he isn't right at all. He might not have been batting at his best, but anyone who says he wasn't batting well is ****ing delusional.
I was saying that if he was refering to the bold part I highlighted, he is right. I agree that Ponting batted well, but there is a difference between batting well and batting with complete confidence.

Unsure of what you are getting at.

This whole debate is kind of pointless anyway, because I don't even know if the transcription provided is verbatim and what the context of each point is.

Abhishek_dada

Cricket Spectator
Suggestions to our batsman before the 3rd test:

1 Virender Sehwag :
Do play your natural game but with a hint of caution.Remember its Perth not Patiala.

2) Gautam Gambhir:
Comprehend the meaning of your surname and use it to perfection.

3)Rahul Dravid:
Every wall in the world develop leaks,but are liable to be repaired sooner than later.
I hope your s is no different.

4)Sachin Tendulkar:
The 100th ton will come.Just get that thing off your head.

5)VVS Laman:
The weaver of nightmares to the Aussies,you Sir still have 1 such bad dream in you to be bestowed upon the home side.

6)Virat Kohli:
You are incapable to playing Test Cricket.I hope you get kicked out of the team.

7)MSD:
Please try to grow some balls.You definitely seem to lack them at the moment

P.S:In my book you are by no means a better captain than either of Sourav or Kapil Paji.Just a gambler who s luck is running out of steam at the moment.:p

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I don't buy this 'Sehwag has to play his natural game in order to succeed' thing. He has to change his game and be more cautious (especially outside off-stump) if he wants to be a more consistent performer outside SC. I don't see any reason why he can't do it, if he really wants.

Of course, I don't mind him playing his natural game on flat tracks.