• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka in South Africa 2011/12

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
Because if you judged Morkel completely based on one random game that happened to be his best ever, he'd look ****ing good as well.
Doesn't explain the assertion that Morkel is better than De Lange based on what we have or haven't seen.

Point is, do selectors stay with Morkel even though he's not really looking the goods, or give another go to a guy who bowled so well. I suppose Aus is in the same boat when Cummins comes back in the frame. If one of Siddle/Hilfenhaus/Harris/Pattinson had to be dropped to accomodate him at that time, maybe you would want the killer debutant to replace the known incumbent then too..

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Doesn't explain the assertion that Morkel is better than De Lange based on what we have or haven't seen.
De Lange's record in franchise cricket:

11 wickets @ 47.

Now you can overlook that if someone is truly and obviously a special talent AND the cupboard is pretty bare, but there's just no reason to do that all all when you have Steyn, Philander and Morkel to choose from. That's three absolutely inarguable top fifteen bowlers in the world, AFAIC, so taking a random punt on someone based on one game and no natural tools that the bloke you're dropping doesn't have anyway is just needlessly overbearing selection.

If De Lange's better than Morkel, he can prove it by taking some wickets in more than one Test, our tour game and a handful of glorified park cricket games in the 3-day amateur league for Easterns. This isn't Tstosobe he needs to get past; it's a proven Test performer in the prime of his career (in terms of age); little rough patch or not.

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
De Lange's record in franchise cricket:

11 wickets @ 47.

Now you can overlook that if someone is truly and obviously a special talent AND the cupboard is pretty bare, but there's just no reason to do that all all when you have Steyn, Philander and Morkel to choose from. That's three absolutely inarguable top fifteen bowlers in the world, AFAIC, so taking a random punt on someone based on one game and no natural tools that the bloke you're dropping doesn't have anyway is just needlessly overbearing selection.

If De Lange's better than Morkel, he can prove it by taking some wickets in more than one Test, our tour game and a handful of glorified park cricket games in the 3-day amateur league for Easterns. This isn't Tstosobe he needs to get past; it's a proven Test performer in the prime of his career (in terms of age); little rough patch or not.
Point well made. But I'll tend to give a bowler's performance in his debut Test (along with my own eyes) more weight than early FC figures (same goes for Cummins, Lyon, Harris and many others). But I'm not suggesting dropping a top bowler in prime form.. Morkel's average has always been around the 30 mark... and he's not bowling to his usual standard at the moment even... so it all depends where you set your standards really, and how long a rope you want to give. In an interesting related example, Eng dropped Steve Finn in the last Ashes even when his stats were good, but they just felt he wasn't putting the pressure on enough. So I would tend to err rather on the aggressive side of selection than the passive side. But, if you felt Morkel would be the better bowler in the mid to long term, then by all means stick with him. I think he's bowling rubbish :)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Point well made. But I'll tend to give a bowler's performance in his debut Test (along with my own eyes) more weight than early FC figures (same goes for Cummins, Lyon, Harris and many others). But I'm not suggesting dropping a top bowler in prime form.. Morkel's average has always been around the 30 mark... and he's not bowling to his usual standard at the moment even... so it all depends where you set your standards really, and how long a rope you want to give. In an interesting related example, Eng dropped Steve Finn in the last Ashes even when his stats were good, but they just felt he wasn't putting the pressure on enough. So I would tend to err rather on the aggressive side of selection than the passive side. But, if you felt Morkel would be the better bowler in the mid to long term, then by all means stick with him. I think he's bowling rubbish :)
Finn was dropped for a gun bowler with a good long-term record in professional cricket though; I supported that decision.

If De Lange actually had more than two performances of note in his entire professional career then it'd be a lot different. There's no need to rush someone like that if you have Morkel - and trust me, I've been of the biggest Morkel detractors on this forum traditionally. Ask Uppercut.

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
Finn was dropped for a gun bowler with a good long-term record in professional cricket though; I supported that decision.

If De Lange actually had more than two performances of note in his entire professional career then it'd be a lot different. There's no need to rush someone like that if you have Morkel - and trust me, I've been of the biggest Morkel detractors on this forum traditionally. Ask Uppercut.
I dunno... new blood just seems to change everything... look how it's transformed Oz.. and looks like doing the same for SA, and even NZ... You could stick with Morkel... but it just doesn't *feel* like the way forward right now to me... I guess you are saying stick with him until someone proves they are better... whereas I say get em in there and let em prove it now :p

AlwaysProteas

U19 12th Man
Waited a long ****ing time for a series win. Looks like gonna have to wait till after tea for that. This is ridiculous why can't the batsmen just go out there and knock two runs over?

Flem274*

123/5
Rob C says
I bet on South Africa to win by an innings at the start of the match, and it was paying 5.20
And they didn't... they have to chase ONE run to win in their second innings. FML
lololol