• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka in South Africa 2011/12

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
P.s. Tahir not selected for the 1 day side??? that's just dire selection. He's been WAY more successful at ODI's thus far, and even his List A stats are better than his first class. Am I the only one going wtf ffs to that one?
That is truly silly. He was successful in the World Cup too

Himannv

International Coach
Well you could leave Chandimal in when Prasanna came back...

I wouldn't drop Jayawardene right now either, but it'd make heaps more sense to do so than dropping Samaraweera did.
I don't think Prasanna is likely to get back into the team personally.

Agree that its quite a lean patch he's going through. Sense has nothing to do with it though, this is Sri Lanka we're talking about here. Its all about the love baby and Mahela is just too loved to be dropped.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't think Prasanna is likely to get back into the team personally.

Agree that its quite a lean patch he's going through. Sense has nothing to do with it though, this is Sri Lanka we're talking about here. Its all about the love baby and Mahela is just too loved to be dropped.
It's a shame because his batting had improved so, so much of late.

I'd still definitely think about moving Mathews up to open (where he could set the pace of the game rather than have to react to it; and wouldn't need to bat with the tail) and bringing him back in.

Flem274*

123/5
Prasaana is one of, if not the best, gloveman in international cricket.

With the slightly dodgy bowling SL has, they should think long and hard before dropping a gloveman of his calibre. It is crucial they take all their catches.

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man

I'd still definitely think about moving Mathews up to open (where he could set the pace of the game rather than have to react to it; and wouldn't need to bat with the tail) and bringing him back in.
Mathews opening.. .hmmmm... but he's an allrounder.... shades of Watson in that move

Himannv

International Coach

Yeah, he did exceptionally well against England.

I would agree about Mathews opening and I think it makes sense to do that but I have to admit that I still think Thirimanne would be able to do well as an opener. For now I'd like to see him and Dilshan open more consistently.

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
So, who thinks Morkel should go and who thinks De Lange is better?

Morkel is a curious case. He has all the tools, but just lacks a certain something... like he's just not all quite *there* in the heat of the battle. He doesn't quite seem to have the control or confidence to own the show... to set up good batsmen, work them over, or just be downright hostile and penetrative.

Has ample tools to succeed, pace, height, bounce and awkward to face. But for some reason just can't quite crack it mentally... does this all sound familiar ala Steve Harmison and Mitchell Johnson? It's a shame really because how do you coach or improve on that?

At least SA now has serious options at its disposal. Obviously De Lange could get more game time, though I would hold off hailing him as the messiah just yet after 1 great game obviously. Not convinced Tsotsobe is the answer, or better than Morkel in any way... but I would seriously consider letting Morkel get confidence back in first class cricket and taking another young bowler like Parnell to NZ, a pacey left armer who swings it... surely he can make strides. If he gets it together he would be the ideal backup in places like Eng and NZ surely.

But Morkel, after 4 years in SA team... still not sold

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, he did exceptionally well against England.

I would agree about Mathews opening and I think it makes sense to do that but I have to admit that I still think Thirimanne would be able to do well as an opener. For now I'd like to see him and Dilshan open more consistently.
Yeah I like Thirimanne as well but I don't think he's a better batsman right now than Prasanna and Prasanna's definitely a better keeper than Chandimal. I also think, perhaps somehow controversially, that Mathews would be a better opener than he is a #6.

So I'd be looking at:

1 Mathews
2 Dilshan
3 Sangakkara
4 Jayawardene
5 Samaraweera
6 Chandimal
7 Jayawardene

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
So, who thinks Morkel should go and who thinks De Lange is better?

Morkel is a curious case. He has all the tools, but just lacks a certain something... like he's just not all quite *there* in the heat of the battle. He doesn't quite seem to have the control or confidence to own the show... to set up good batsmen, work them over, or just be downright hostile and penetrative.

Has ample tools to succeed, pace, height, bounce and awkward to face. But for some reason just can't quite crack it mentally... does this all sound familiar ala Steve Harmison and Mitchell Johnson? It's a shame really because how do you coach or improve on that?

At least SA now has serious options at its disposal. Obviously De Lange could get more game time, though I would hold off hailing him as the messiah just yet after 1 great game obviously. Not convinced Tsotsobe is the answer, or better than Morkel in any way... but I would seriously consider letting Morkel get confidence back in first class cricket and taking another young bowler like Parnell to NZ, a pacey left armer who swings it... surely he can make strides. If he gets it together he would be the ideal backup in places like Eng and NZ surely.

But Morkel, after 4 years in SA team... still not sold
Morket has been disappointing..but I would still give him one more series..say New Zealand..but I would also want De Lange to bowl more before the all important England series..

Briony

International Debutant
Some of Morkel's inconsistency is reputedly personality based. When things aren't going well he suffers from low confidence and it affects his bowling. Boucher putting a couple of gimmes off his bowling down during the past two tests wouldn't have helped.

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
Some of Morkel's inconsistency is reputedly personality based. When things aren't going well he suffers from low confidence and it affects his bowling. Boucher putting a couple of gimmes off his bowling down during the past two tests wouldn't have helped.
Yeah... but the thing is, those sorts of howlers happen to all bowlers some time, and can't be used as an excuse for the way he blows hot and cold all the time... chronic low confidence, along with chronic inconsistency, are serious problems that won't go away all of a sudden... which is why I think he needs to go back to school and prove over a season or 2 that he can improve and develop and can have what it takes. The last 2 years of solid first class cricket doesn't seem to have done Philander any harm...

Surely the NZ tour is the right time to see if De Lange has got what it takes at this stage. NZ is a good team but it's not like De Lange is going to bowl worse than Morkel has lately. So give him a go?

Flem274*

123/5
I want you guys to play de Lange because I selfishly want to see what he bowls like, since I hear he has a ridiculously short run up.