• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

Stapel

International Regular
I'm still not convinced he is 'back' yet by any means, but if he is going to be persisted with its obviously great if he is actually contributing by making runs!
Does it matter if he really gets back to his standard level? Sure would be nice, but I would select this Ponting anyway.

Since the start of 2010/2011, Ponting has averaged 33,2. Obviously, that is not even near his own capabilities, and not justifying a place in the AUS side by itself. However, it is not as if he isn't scoring at all. I'd say that having an average of mid-30 + his on-field experience + dressing room experience + captaincy experience pretty much does justify his place in the side. If there would be a prospect promising enough to average in the high 40s, would selectors give up all that experience for 15 runs per innings? I find that quite an odd idea.

Besides that, there is a decent chance, if not expectation he does get back to his own standard. And there is a somewhat smaller chance he gets back to his 2005 - 2006 form.

Ok, that last bit is wishful thinking! But so far, after three innings, Ricky is the leading run scorer (both on count and average, even if he gets out first ball in the morning) this series. Not bad when there are 4 (other) players with an average above 50,

Xuhaib

International Coach
the difference is all 3 of Aus fastbolwers are bowling beautifully for India its as usual Zaheer & Co.

Stapel

International Regular
I seem to be alone amongst the neutrals in not really getting any satisfaction out of India losing. Make it a contest ffs, the first Test was great.
I'm with you!

I want a tight contest with India losing the series on day 5 of Test 4 after tea, by a poor umpire decision that would be reversed by DRS, had there be such a possibility :ph34r: .

Just something I wonder: During Ashes series, taking the urn is the goal, rather than winning the series. Would India (or Aus for that matter) feel the same about he BGT? That way, if they get 2-0 behind, India could till take the trophy.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'm with you!

I want a tight contest with India losing the series on day 5 of Test 4 after tea, by a poor umpire decision that would be reversed by DRS, had there be such a possibility :ph34r: .

Just something I wonder: During Ashes series, taking the urn is the goal, rather than winning the series. Would India (or Aus for that matter) feel the same about he BGT? That way, if they get 2-0 behind, India could till take the trophy.
I suspect if you offered India 2-2 at this stage they'd rip your arm off.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Deep down, every member of the Indian squad fears a whitewash. None of them can say it though. Just like SA cannot say the choke word.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It's not. If India can't score at the SCG, they won't be able to score anywhere else really. Those are just the facts at the moment - the batting lineup is really crap, and there is really very little chance of them clicking before the end of the series considering they are carrying at least two non Test class batsmen on top of their out of form seniors. This isn't 2003.

If and when the team is better, so will the expectations. I'd be happy with losing only 3-0 TBF and ecstatic if somehow they go down 3-1 or something, but I don't see the latter happening.

Last edited:

BeeGee

International Captain
I seem to be alone amongst the neutrals in not really getting any satisfaction out of India losing. Make it a contest ffs, the first Test was great.
I'd prefer a close contest.

It's early days, still. If India can chip out a couple of quick wickets on day two, they're right back in this.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Calling at least two out of Tendulkar, Dravid or Laxman to ton up in the 2nd dig. And even if they don't...

Ashwin's got this!:cool2:

Xuhaib

International Coach
If India can somehow get their batting sorted there is no way Aus is winning this series. Aus top3 are the worst top 3 for the last 25 years while 2 of their 3 core middle order batsman have not been very consistent lately. Aus will crumble infront of score card pressure imo but for that to happen India has to start batting well somehow.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
If India can somehow get their batting sorted there is no way Aus is winning this series. Aus top3 are the worst top 3 for the last 25 years while 2 of their 3 core middle order batsman have not been very consistent lately. Aus will crumble infront of score card pressure imo but for that to happen India has to start batting well somehow.
Everything you've said applies equally to India.

Xuhaib

International Coach
India has 5 proven test batsman to Australia's 3. India is likely to score more heavily then Australia if there batsman find form.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
India has 5 proven test batsman to Australia's 3. India is likely to score more heavily then Australia if there batsman find form.
Who are these 5 proven batsman? Tendulkar is no more likely to score runs than Cowan because he happened to score a double ton in Sydney 8 years ago.

edit: it's also easier for Australia's batsmen to "sort themselves out" because they're facing an inferior bowling attack.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Man.. what a day.. It is obvious there is something in the track for seamers all day. But our seamers are too crap to make use of it and our batsmen are too crap to fight through it..

But Zak showed how important he is to this side, once again!! I just wish others would show up more. :(

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
India have one good bowler. We have three. Whose batsmen have it tougher then?