• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
India need to rethink a lot of things. It's going to be 0-4 - Australia are superior in every department. I don't think Dhoni should be captain either tbf - but I don't know who you can give it to at this point. I'd probably give it to Sehwag.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
India need to rethink a lot of things. It's going to be 0-4 - Australia are superior in every department. I don't think Dhoni should be captain either tbf - but I don't know who you can give it to at this point. I'd probably give it to Sehwag.
I don't think our batting order is superior tbh. Both regularly misfire.

Burgey

Taking Burgeinho out to watch the Aussies practice this morning. Invers requested I put them through their paces*

*schooners

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Before the series started I predicted a 2-1 India win and I was fairly confident that Australia would win at the MCG. India are likely to be a hell of a lot harder at the SCG.

It's going to be interesting to see what changes India do make. Kohli looks gone, Gambhir needs runs but presumably he'll retain his place.

Australia can't rely on our quick bowlers to bat so well in each Test, I really want to give credit to Ed Cowan for the way he batted in the first innings. The fact that he batted time helped Siddle and Haddin put on that big partnership at the end of the day. If Cowan made an 80 ball 68, I think India would have wrapped up the tail late on the first day and the game changes completely.

I'm gutted that the Test match does not start tomorrow on the public holiday..

Burgey

So having heard on the radio both teams are practicing today, I'd like to give a ****ing brick bat to CA and the SCG Trust.

We saw some of the Indian practice through the gates, but the fat **** on the gate said "the sessions are closed today. Come back tomorrow".

Excellent. Prick on the gate was enjoying turning kids away too, the ****.

Cricketers are the least accessible major sporting team in this country, bar none. Closed training session my arse. Some ****s bat, others bowl. Crock of ****.

smash84

The Tiger King
Emmm......Why should Dhoni not be captain???? Especially since there seems to be no alternative in sight.

howardj

International Coach
Cricketers are the least accessible major sporting team in this country, bar none. Closed training session my arse. Some ****s bat, others bowl. Crock of ****.
Very much agree with this; it's impossible to get anywhere near the cricketers. There is very little public interaction with them at all. More chance of hangin' with the Pope. Contrast that to a team like the Brisbane Broncos rugby league side where in the main their training sessions are open, and after they have their final run for the week, you can have a BBQ with them back at the clubhouse.

howardj

International Coach
Shane Watson warned there is no guarantee of Test return | Herald Sun
Mickey Arthur: Australian pace attack could be best in the world | Herald Sun

aw gee we ain't in a for a sa 09 repeat when we spend the next year pointing to that test match as proof of how fine everything is are we
Yeah, I think Uncle Arthur needs to pull his head in. To suggest that the reigning AB Medallist (for the last two years) and our star-turn allrounder will not walk back into the side is I think silly. By no means should anyone ever take a spot for granted, but that's different from being an automatic selection at any one point in time, which Watson clearly is at present. As you elude to, we shouldn't get too far ahead of ourselves, as we're just as likely to have a Cape Town or Hobart relapse in Sydney.

Last edited:

Burgey

Very much agree with this; it's impossible to get anywhere near the cricketers. There is very little public interaction with them at all. More chance of hangin' with the Pope. Contrast that to a team like the Brisbane Broncos rugby league side where in the main their training sessions are open, and after they have their final run for the week, you can have a BBQ with them back at the clubhouse.
Considering putting in a claim for the petrol tbh.

Have written requesting an explanation. In the time we were watching they turned away a stack of people, mostly kids.

Doctor

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yeah, I think Uncle Arthur needs to pull his head in. To suggest that the reigning AB Medallist (for the last two years) and our star-turn allrounder will not walk back into the side is I think silly. By no means should anyone ever take a spot for granted, but that's different from being an automatic selection at any one point in time, which Watson clearly is at present. As you elude to, we shouldn't get too far ahead of ourselves, as we're just as likely to have a Cape Town or Hobart relapse in Sydney.
Going by Watto's form of 2011 (averages of 24 and 19 in batting and bowling respectively), he'd only bolster the already strong Australian bowling (and get injured while doing it), rather than the boost the fragile batting line-up. Despite his reputation, he hasn't performed well enough this year in tests to warrant a position in the XI (although you could say this about several of the side), but you know what they say: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", so we shouldn't change our winning side.

howardj

International Coach
Going by Watto's form of 2011 (averages of 24 and 19 in batting and bowling respectively), he'd only bolster the already strong Australian bowling (and get injured while doing it), rather than the boost the fragile batting line-up. Despite his reputation, he hasn't performed well enough this year in tests to warrant a position in the XI (although you could say this about several of the side), but you know what they say: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", so we shouldn't change our winning side.
I take your point mate, but it's more nuanced than pointing to his batting average in the last year or so, and using that to justify his exclusion. There's a correlation between him bowling many more overs in the last 12 months and a decline in his batting. It's widely acknowledged that if he's going to be a vital cog in our bowling (averaging 19 in the last 12 months, he clearly is) he needs to drop down the order. Moving Marsh to opener, dropping journeyman Cowan, and slotting Watson into the middle order in my view strengthens the side. Or even just replacing Ponting or Hussey with Watson.

Flem274*

123/5
I take your point mate, but it's more nuanced than pointing to his batting average in the last year or so, and using that to justify his exclusion. There's a correlation between him bowling many more overs in the last 12 months and a decline in his batting. It's widely acknowledged that if he's going to be a vital cog in our bowling (averaging 19 in the last 12 months, he clearly is) he needs to drop down the order. Moving Marsh to opener, dropping journeyman Cowan, and slotting Watson into the middle order in my view strengthens the side. Or even just replacing Ponting or Hussey with Watson.
:laugh:

smash84

The Tiger King
Dhoni coming under fire from everywhere.......

the part about Gambhir is funny

"Gautam Gambhir is in trouble since he is discomforted by the extra bounce. If he continues to poke suspiciously at deliveries outside off stump, like a nervous mouse nibbling at the cheese, the Australians will have no trouble springing the trap."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/547534.html

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Considering putting in a claim for the petrol tbh.

Have written requesting an explanation. In the time we were watching they turned away a stack of people, mostly kids.
I'd say it's because they're worried about another collapse if a member of the Wentworth Under 11s decides to roll their arm over in the nets.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Gambhir is a bit of a worry for India. He hasn't scored a hundred since January 2010 - almost two years ago - and that too was against Bangladesh. His last hundred against serious opposition was in this match in 2009 where India racked up 642 with the top three all scoring big tons. In his last 16 Tests he averages 28. He'd probably be close to being dropped by now if not for the gritty innings he played in South Africa; but even that was based a lot more on resolve than a strong technical base. I suppose the most interesting question is who people think India would bring in for him if they decided to drop him at some point this series; would Sharma play with Dravid opening, or would Rahane come in and open himself?