• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka in South Africa 2011/12

mono

U19 Debutant
i hope this performance isn't a flash in the pan. I really don't care too much about us winning or loosing the next test, I only want our buggers to play confident cricket.

Migara

International Coach
Yep. If he had bowled more, we would have lost. :ph34r:
He bow;ed beautifully in 1st test and 2nd innings of 2nd test. Would have taken 6-7 if catches were held. Four frikking catches went down of his bowling, and if they were held, we would have not lost by an innings.

Briony

International Debutant
Superb stuff Sri Lanka. My hearty congratulations! Great job from Samaraweera and Sangakkara, Herath and Welegedara and Chandimal. Jayawardene is just one match away from a good knock. You guys have properly stuffed those who call you a bunch of FTBs. The more they'll play in countries like Australia and South Africa, the more they'll prove their worth.

:thumbup1:
Although as tracks in SA go, this was pretty flat and atypical unlike what you generally see at Centurion and Johannesburg. The one at Newlands against Australia was pretty fiery too.

SeamUp

International Coach
Height of summer in Cape Town and its either very hot or very windy. So unless there isn't much rain, then can't see it being too spicy.

But looking at the weather forecast, in some places they are saying there is rain the day before the test match and in others there will be a North-westerly blowing on the first day of the test match and thats the rain wind. So if the groundsman does give it a fair bit of water and leaves grass-cover aided by a bit of rain in and around the test match, it could make things interesting.

I feel South African wickets have lost there pace and bounce of old and its a worry. Particularly place likes Wanderers and Kingsmead. Centurion probably is the pitch the suits us most with pace and bounce. Newlands is just our favourite ground and there is good swing if you bowl the Newlands length with the Cape Doctor blowing.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Aggressive fast bowling like Fernando is the key to beating SA. ITSTL.

Will send out an S.O.S to Mark Gillespie when they tour here.
He'll be injured.

Milne tbh. Might not have the FC record but if you can be worried by Fernando you can struggle against anyone.

Flem274*

123/5
He bow;ed beautifully in 1st test and 2nd innings of 2nd test. Would have taken 6-7 if catches were held. Four frikking catches went down of his bowling, and if they were held, we would have not lost by an innings.
Who is this Dilhara Fernando who bowls well?

Every time I've seen him bowl bar that world cup semi in 2007 he's been terrible. He's Sami-esque, but with no balls.

Srsly, there is a conspiracy here. If it's aired in NZ, he just can't bowl well in it.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Selectors showing as much bottle as the South African batsman. Smith, Hudson and co. are in a fairly good position however as most of the CSA board are implicated in a corruption scandal, therefore guys like Majola don’t want the added press coverage. Sure they would want to sack Smith after this though. Position is untenable.

Word was Smith was going to resign but that seems just talk. Don't think AB is test captaincy material. Reminds me of Mickey Arthur in the way he talks about the game and Mickey Arthur comes across as a bit of a prat. Steyn for captain? Can't question his stomach for the fight.
Yes please - I'd be happy to see SA's most important bowler burdened with the captaincy for the England series.

Interesting discussion about Tahir. imo it's not surprising that he's not been outstanding on SA wickets against a SL side that plays spin pretty well. Plus he's still finding his feet at this level, of course. Still, if they want to ditch their leggie for the England tour, that's fine by me as well.

AlwaysProteas

U19 12th Man
Also when we beat India by an innings Kepler opened up his trap and boasting saying he doesn't see how India will take 20 wickets. We got hammered in Durban.
Cue a year on, another innings victory and that piece of **** ****ing ****** arsehole didn't learn his lesson and opened his mouth again boasting and disparaging the opposition. STFU Kepler you piece of ****.
Dilshan said:
"We actually want to thank Kepler Wessels. He gave us the motivation."
Just to reiterate, stfu you overconfident asshole.

Last edited:

MrPrez

International Debutant
I just feel that we shouldn't feel forced to play Tahir, just to have a spinner. If a better bowling lineup for the pitch is four pacers and Kallis, then go for it! If there will be turn, put Tahir in.

SeamUp

International Coach
I had a feeling Rory Kleinvledt was in the mix after watching the one-day cup this season when he was bowling 140ish and the batsman weren't comfortable against him with his back of a length bowling. Also had a good four-day season. Can strike it big down the order. So getting his last chance like Philander was given.

Dean Elgar also in to get a possible debut. Deserves it as well. Think it will also give him some experience before his test chance.

Dropped Dave Miller so a middle order striker is still missed. Maybe Parnell going to get more batting repsonsibilites in the one-day game.

de Villiers appointed captain for Sri Lanka ODIs

AB de Villiers will captain South Africa's one-day squad in the five-match series against Sri Lanka starting next month. The selectors have named a 14-member squad for the first two matches, which includes the batsman Dean Elgar and allrounder Rory Kleinveldt. de Villiers takes over the leadership from Hashim Amla, who was in charge for the home series against Australia.

Squad: AB de Villiers (capt & wk), Hashim Amla (vice-capt), Johan Botha, JP Duminy , Faf du Plessis, Dean Elgar, Jacques Kallis, Rory Kleinveldt, Morne Morkel, Wayne Parnell, Robin Peterson, Graeme Smith, Dale Steyn, Lonwabo Tsotsobe

Last edited:

Rasimione

U19 Captain
Rory looks so good, but you just get a feeling that he could do just a lil more than what he is doin. I just tend to think he has the abillity to bowl alot quicker than what he does. If he could get his bowling to around the 140 mark, he would have played many games for us. But like you say, its last chance saloon for hin.

Lostman

State Captain
SL should play Prasad next match. SAf batsmen are clearly shaken by the pace, bounce and unpredictability of Fernando, and Prasad only will add to the woes.
Yeah; Fernando was the reason South Africa lost that match. FMD.
I am the biggest Fernando hater around, but got to admit he bowled ALOT better than his stats show so far on this tour. Bounced out both Kallis and Smith, impressive.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Either Kleinvledt has come on leaps and bounds or there is a lack of quality knocking about. Last time I saw him play the Kenyans were lining him up and he was getting bowled domestically by waist high full tosses all at the same time being at least 5kg overweight.

No Levi is a joke, he should be opening with Hash. And just pick Albie Morkel at 6 and don’t bowl him. Gonna be like the WC again where on paper there is batting depth but Botha, P and Parnell won’t win many games with the bat chasing, Albie will. Few guys hanging around for the appearance money.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Yes please - I'd be happy to see SA's most important bowler burdened with the captaincy for the England series.

Interesting discussion about Tahir. imo it's not surprising that he's not been outstanding on SA wickets against a SL side that plays spin pretty well. Plus he's still finding his feet at this level, of course. Still, if they want to ditch their leggie for the England tour, that's fine by me as well.
Think it is the manner in which he is bowling which is the most worrying. He is bowling half trackers and full tosses every other ball. If Sri Lanka were in top form and under no pressure he would have been treated with complete and utter contempt last test. Scary bad but then he gets out Samaraweera with a top ball.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
I find it pretty ironic that after being called crap all this time Paul Harris is actually showing he did a pretty good job.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member

Considering Trott and Bell have played in the same county side as Tahir for a while, he might not cause too many problems.