• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE

Who do you think will win?!

• Total voters

SeamUp

International Coach
Just say Strauss or Cook broke their leg tomorrow. Who is next in line to open in tests for England? Alex Hales?

SeamUp

International Coach
Carberry I would think. Assuming he's fit.
Oh yeah, forgot about him. He nearly debuted against us.

I see he is 31 now though and probably one year left of peak performance (between 28-32 normally reach peak as batsman).

So you reckon Hales would be behind Carberry then? Or is there somebody else looking forwards?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Oh yeah, forgot about him. He nearly debuted against us.

I see he is 31 now though and probably one year left of peak performance (between 28-32 normally reach peak as batsman).

So you reckon Hales would be behind Carberry then? Or is there somebody else looking forwards?
tbf it's a real worry. A few young openers have fallen away over the last year or so, and I'm not sure that Hales has done enough at this stage. If the match was in England, I'd ask Trescothick. However, on this particular thread I'd probably go with Carberry.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't forget Jason Roy - ideally suited for the job and has the perfect qualification - born in Durban

SeamUp

International Coach
tbf it's a real worry. A few young openers have fallen away over the last year or so, and I'm not sure that Hales has done enough at this stage. If the match was in England, I'd ask Trescothick. However, on this particular thread I'd probably go with Carberry.
Cheers mate.

Because Strauss is already 34 as well. So I guess it is in the England selectors minds with concession planning and all that.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I don't think it's a huge worry personally.

Strauss won't go before the 2013 Ashes IMO, and could even hang around until the end of the return series in 2013/14 before hanging up his bat. Obviously it would be a bit of a worry if either Cook or Strauss were to get injured but I'd be happy enough with Carberry as short term cover. The openers on the domestic scene have 2 years to string together a good run of form to demand selection by the time Strauss goes.

Would it be possible to exploit Phil Jaques' British passport? Hasn't played Tests for Australia since the 2008 series in the West Indies.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Reckon Carberry's a very decent backup myself, he looks Test quality. Subcontinent may not be his best conditions but he'd do a job in the home Tests. He's probably just at his peak too, had a very good season before his illness and hit a couple of huge scores last season in the time he had. Short term, obviously, but the only standout backup.