• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka in South Africa 2011/12

BoyBrumby

Englishman
What was the point?
About not losing a review when the orig decision stands on an "umpire's call".

I don't have a problem with it, myself. We all know UDRS isn't 100% and I still think it should be used to rectify the clearly wrong calls rather than very marginal LBWs.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
De Villiers goes for a well made 69. Fnarr, fnarr. Oooo, Matron, etc. :ph34r:

Very optimistic review tho. 3/4 up middle. Watson would've been proud of that.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I love that. Morkel tries to review, but the well is dry.

Wouldn't have mattered, ftr. Stone dead.

ooops, Steyn gone now. Fat lady gargling.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Red rover. de Lange decides the ugly heave is the best form of defence and the furniture is rearranged.

Comprehensive. Great effort from Herath in particular; well deserved Michelle. Very useful bowler.

SeamUp

International Coach
Interesting selection meeting tonight.

CSA can also take a bit of slack for poor scheduling and our players not playing near enough cricket which has contributed to inconsistency.

If they want to make quite a few changes they have to make it now for the England tour in mind.

To many players inconsistent and Rudolph and Tahir are both 30/31 now and they need to be using the 10 years plus of FC experience in SA and ENG more even if test cricket is level up I won't give them too much longer to perform.

Problem I have with Tahir is that he leaks runs and doesn't take enough wickets validate being in the side. If he took 5/120 then it would be fine but 1/101 and going for plenty in first test and against Australia with only getting the tail out that one time against Australia.

Interesting team for Cape Town with a seamer in mind would be this.

Smith (*)
Petersen
Amla
Kallis
De Villiers (+)
Duminy (ROS)
Elgar (SLA)
Philander
Steyn
Morkel
De Lange

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well done Sri Lanka, been such a tough year.

Pressure on South Africa now of course, expect Rudolph to go but maybe not anyone else.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Well done to SL, bloody deserved it, never saw it coming at all and this result will give them a huge boost but what can you say about SA? *smh* People think they might give England a big fight next year but from what i've seen of them lately i very much doubt it, just too many weaknesses in the batting order, Rudolph looks poor and they've struggled to find a decent opener to partner Smith for ages, Prince is in terrible form and Kallis is on a downward spiral, Amla's running between the wickets is getting beyond a joke now too,

On it's day the bowling unit is still good but tbh De Lange was kind of found out in that second innings and Morkel is in terrible form, i think Tahir is very average aswell, it seems like if Steyn isn't in his usual magical form the whole bowling unit seems to panic, and that doesn't bode well for the future i must say.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Also well done to Sri Lanka for their bouncebackability. Only their 9th win outside of the sub-continent I think.

SeamUp

International Coach
Well done to SL, bloody deserved it, never saw it coming at all and this result will give them a huge boost ahead of England visiting SL in the coming months ahead, but what can you say about SA? *smh* it's unbelievable that a team like that haven't won a test series at home since 2008!!..:blink: , even our lot won one in 2009!!, just madness,

People think they might give England a big fight next year but from what i've seen of them lately i very much doubt it, just too many weaknesses in the batting order, Rudolph looks poor and they've struggled to find a decent opener to partner Smith for ages, Prince is in terrible form and Kallis is on a downward spiral, Amla's running between the wickets is getting beyond a joke now too,

On it's day the bowling unit is still good but tbh De Lange was kind of found out in that second innings and Morkel is in terrible form, i think Tahir is very average aswell, it seems like if Steyn isn't in his usual magical form the whole bowling unit seems to panic, and that doesn't bode well for the future i must say.
No not really, I think our side is largely very good and capable of winning in England.

In the last couple of seasons our bad sessions have been really bad and we are losing wickets in clusters. And it comes out of nowhere after thrashing teams in the first test.

De Lange being found out? He is only 21 and bowled decently I thought. Got the ball to move around a bit and still bowled quickly if just a touch too short at times in 2nd innings.

Kallis, on the way down? Even if he is...his level is still higher than most...but I personally don't think he is on the way down.

Last edited:

MrPrez

International Debutant

Smith (*)
Petersen
Amla
Kallis
De Villiers (+)
Duminy (ROS)
Elgar (SLA)
Philander
Steyn
Morkel
De Lange
I'd like to see:

Kuhn(+)
Smith(c)
Amla
Kallis
De Villiers
Elgar
Rossouw
Philander
Steyn
Morkel
de Lange

Anyways, poor performance by SA, there's not much I can say tbh. The players need some grit driven into them - Kirsten is the man to do that, hopefully he'll get it right.

I'm over flaming tbh - Steyn put me in a good mood :D

Rasimione

U19 Captain
Interesting selection meeting tonight.

CSA can also take a bit of slack for poor scheduling and our players not playing near enough cricket which has contributed to inconsistency.

If they want to make quite a few changes they have to make it now for the England tour in mind.

To many players inconsistent and Rudolph and Tahir are both 30/31 now and they need to be using the 10 years plus of FC experience in SA and ENG more even if test cricket is level up I won't give them too much longer to perform.

Problem I have with Tahir is that he leaks runs and doesn't take enough wickets validate being in the side. If he took 5/120 then it would be fine but 1/101 and going for plenty in first test and against Australia with only getting the tail out that one time against Australia.

Smith (*)
Petersen
Amla
Kallis
De Villiers (+)
Duminy (ROS)
Elgar (SLA)
Philander
Steyn
Morkel
De Lange
thats not such a bad team you know. Elgar can do a decent job so can duminy. My team in the long term would be.
Alviro Petersen
Dean Elgar
Hashim Amla
Graeme Smith
Jacques Kallis
Rilee Russouw
AB Devilliers
Johan Botha
Vernon Philander
Dale Steyn
Morne Morkel/ De Lange.
Taking a look at that team it looks not to bad IMO.

SeamUp

International Coach
I'd like to see:

Kuhn(+)
Smith(c)
Amla
Kallis
De Villiers
Elgar
Rossouw
Philander
Steyn
Morkel
de Lange

Anyways, poor performance by SA, there's not much I can say tbh. The players need some grit driven into them - Kirsten is the man to do that, hopefully he'll get it right.

I'm over flaming tbh - Steyn put me in a good mood :D
If that was the personnel then Elgar would open but Alviro scored another 100 and I was thinking Duminy and Elgar would bring the spin option because you can see Alviro definitely coming in. Elgar is a very good player of spin bowling though and thats why I thought bring him in initially to bat in the middle order and give Virus one last chance and Elgar would bring a part-time spin option.

The day Rossouw gets his test debut would be exciting.

Time to start knuckling down and stop worrying about which hot lady they can get or how hot the lady is they have and who can get more beers down and how much money they can get from T20 or who can score the quickest...hehe. I want some old fashioned graft from our batsman again but the lack of cricket hasn't helped that.

Last edited: