• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yep hasn't even resumed batting in the nets.

It's funny how things turn, you'd think if Watson had have been fit to bowl in Sydney, it would probably be Pond (little Swampy) who would now be in the gun - what with Hussey and Ponting looking so assured.
I reckon they would've dropped Cowan though, and kept Watson opening and then re-assessed after the series.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I've seen enough gun fielders (Symonds, Clarke) become mediocre slippers to know that this is no guarantee of an improvement. It's a special art and in many ways somewhat separate to fielding more generally.
Collingwood did the same

howardj

International Coach
Just on Marsh, it's funny how when a team has been performing poorly (well, our batting has anyway) the guys who are out injured, their reputations seem to grow out of proportion to their actual ability. Now Marsh may have a very long career ahead of him, but I think this Test reminds us of how little he's actually done at the FC level, let alone in the Test theatre.

howardj

International Coach
I reckon they would've dropped Cowan though, and kept Watson opening and then re-assessed after the series.
Yeah, most likely. It's interesting how they seem to be making noises about moving Watson down the order, but never seem to do it. Perhaps with our bowling now coming on a little (Pattinson, Lyon and Siddle have been particularly good this Summer, as has Hilfenhaus in this Test) they may as you say be tempted to make the easier move of dropping one of the green horn openers and leaving Watson as opener.

Ruckus

International Captain
Just on Marsh, it's funny how when a team has been performing poorly (well, our batting has anyway) the guys who are out injured, their reputations seem to grow out of proportion to their actual ability. Now Marsh may have a very long career ahead of him, but I think this Test reminds us of how little he's actually done at the FC level, let alone in the Test theatre.
yeah was pretty disappointing seeing that from Marsh. I kind of hoped that somehow the occasion of being in the test theatre would help iron out his brain implosions, but it isn't a good sign. Obviously it would olny be fair for him to have more chances, but given his injury problems as well, I can't see it ending well for him.

benchmark00

Yeah, most likely. It's interesting how they seem to be making noises about moving Watson down the order, but never seem to do it. Perhaps with our bowling now coming on a little (Pattinson, Lyon and Siddle have been particularly good this Summer, as has Hilfenhaus in this Test) they may as you say be tempted to make the easier move of dropping one of the green horn openers and leaving Watson as opener.
Yeah I know he's had his problems etc, but I prefer Ponting at 3 and Watson at 4.

There's no point having Watson at 3, as it's pretty similar to opening in as much as you can be in early and that's not desirable for an allrounder who may have just bowled a fair few overs in the bowling innings.

howardj

International Coach
Yeah agreed, if you're looking to lighten the mental load on Watson, then putting him at three (down from opener) doesn't really achieve that. At first drop, you have to strap the pads on straight away and are pretty much in batting-mode right from the change of innings.

Redbacks

International Captain
Punter back to 3 seems worth it. A distinct lack of props for his innings in this thread so far. 4/27, doesn't get much tougher than that. He showed the experience to firstly rotate the strike with Hussey and also the cojones to play his shots under fire. WAFG!

Ruckus

International Captain
The problem is he still isn't converting, and that is crucial. Ponting has always been a big score player, and he isn't going to maintain a high enough level just by scoring a few 50's. Lots of small scores will keep coming in between, and if he doesn't convert, they suddenly look a lot more significant.

flibbertyjibber

How did Prior get into a discussion of Australia vs India?

Hit the road.
I was just making the point that 15 months ago all Aussies laughed when the English told them Prior was better than Haddin and now the majority of people from Australia want Haddin dropped. That is all.

howardj

International Coach
Will rip my hair out if we don't employ a 3rd man tomorrow. It's the most underused, underrated position in the game. So many runs come through that area. Will dead set save 40 in the last innings by employing someone there. It's also a genuine wicket taking option against Sehwag.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Would rather swift hussey to 3 than ponting tbh.
Nah Hussey's best attribute is his ability to shepherd the tail; and he doesn't know where his off stump is early in his innings. Moving him to three would be a terrible idea IMO. Marsh should keep his spot for now; I'm not really a big wrap on him in general but he's started his Test career pretty well overall and he should still be ahead of Cowan when Watson comes back.