• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

howardj

International Coach
Just on Jaques, his career was a funny one. Much like Matt Elliot, early doors one thought he could be anything. But then he just fell away and never made it back.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just on Jaques, his career was a funny one. Much like Matt Elliot, early doors one thought he could be anything. But then he just fell away and never made it back.
Got injured at a bad time. Took so long to come back that he wasn't seen as the incumbent anymore.

ganeshran

International Debutant
I've seen enough gun fielders (Symonds, Clarke) become mediocre slippers to know that this is no guarantee of an improvement. It's a special art and in many ways somewhat separate to fielding more generally.
Kohli already fields in the slips in ODIs, wouldnt be too new a place for him. His alternative Sharma is also fields in the slips in ODIs. Its time India moved on to a newer fielder in the position.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah Douglas would be close to the worst for a while. I was more thinking batsmen who come into the team and field in the ring, not fast bowlers who go on the fence.
I'm told Usman's not great, but he's mostly been at short leg too, so...

Phil Hughes is also a bit **** in the ring as well, must be said.

benchmark00

Dravid has probably suffered from Sachin wanting to go into 1st all the time. Not easy chopping and changing, the angles are so different even from 1st to 2nd.

Having said that, has no excuse for that drop off Ashwin.

I haven't seen many of his drops this year, but it's a shame because he was such a ****ing awesome slipper. Great hands.

benchmark00

I'm told Usman's not great, but he's mostly been at short leg too, so...

Phil Hughes is also a bit **** in the ring as well, must be said.
Yeah Usman not great, but decent, and the Prince is ok. Definitely not horrible or slow though, just not brilliant like Symonds, Clarke or Warner.

howardj

International Coach
Been a poor game for Haddin. What with a drop catch and two low scores. However the selectors seem intent on Paine being the successor, so this alone buys Haddin some time.

Uppercut

It was very different in batting too. Fair enough Kohli failed but being at the ground, it was amazing seeing him take quick singles when I had seen Sehwag, Sachin and Dravid bat and making no such attempt to take such a single.
Yeah I noticed this too. It's something Australia have done very well too, taking advantage of India's crappy ground fielding. Reckon they're giving up quite a few runs through that alone.

howardj

International Coach
It was a poor drop from Rahul. The only thing you could say in his defence was that there was a flurry of movement from Hussey when he snicked the ball. That always makes it harder when you're standing at slip to a spinner.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Haddin is a hack at both batting and keeping and this is further amplified by the fact that he has to fill the boots of Gilchrist.

He flies under the selectors' radar with so much debate going on about selection of openers and Hussey/Ponting. Wade should be given a chance till Paine returns.

flibbertyjibber

Haddin is a hack at both batting and keeping and this is further amplified by the fact that he has to fill the boots of Gilchrist.

He flies under the selectors' radar with so much debate going on about selection of openers and Hussey/Ponting. Wade should be given a chance till Paine returns.
Better than Prior not long back and now should be dropped, how the fickle finger of fans turns so quickly.:p

howardj

International Coach
As an aside, it's amusing how Bill Lawry keeps saying "oh the crowd will build this afternoon" ...after they've fininished shopping / going to the beach etc.

I'm yet to know a person who goes to an international cricket match just for the afternoon. Most people, if they're going to spend $60, go for the whole day.

Maybe Bill thinks that everyone gets in for free, like him.

Ruckus

International Captain
**** just read an article that Watson is out for the Sydney test and potentially the entire series...that is poor.

benchmark00

As an aside, it's amusing how Bill Lawry keeps saying "oh the crowd will build this afternoon" ...after they've fininished shopping / going to the beach etc.

I'm yet to know a person who goes to an international cricket match just for the afternoon. Most people, if they're going to spend $60, go for the whole day.

Maybe Bill thinks that everyone gets in for free, like him.
Haha yeah. Has said it since before I started watching cricket. The beach is the best one imo.

howardj

International Coach
**** just read an article that Watson is out for the Sydney test and potentially the entire series...that is poor.
Yep hasn't even resumed batting in the nets.

It's funny how things turn, you'd think if Watson had have been fit to bowl in Sydney, it would probably be Pond (little Swampy) who would now be in the gun - what with Hussey and Ponting looking so assured.