• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The point I'm trying to make is

Even without hot spot etc. Technology in rudimentary form can be of help to howlers. Let's take everything out hawkeye, hot spot and what not.

Just have plain old replays. We would have reversed two decisions yesterday. As simple as that. I think they should start with that first and see if the Neanderthals oppose it.
Why do people persist in suggesting this nonsense?

gvenkat

State Captain
Is your point that hotspot can't pick up the faintest of nicks, therefore not 100% so therefore we should not use it?
I believe that is what the Indian's are saying and also there was something during the England series that prompted the poms to question the hotspot. Can't recall.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Didn't the Poms whinge about Vaseline in the bat on Hotspot? I'm saying that plain vanilla replays are good to start with and then work toward an 100% system. That way the Neanderthals are satisfied. Clearly Hussey got a howler yesterday and those are the ones we should eliminate.
Wouldn't work because broadcasters will still use HotSpot. All it will take is for one instance of an edge not being detected on plain replays but clearly detected on HotSpot for the next controversy to kick off.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
The point I'm trying to make is

Even without hot spot etc. Technology in rudimentary form can be of help to howlers. Let's take everything out hawkeye, hot spot and what not.

Just have plain old replays. We would have reversed two decisions yesterday. As simple as that. I think they should start with that first and see if the Neanderthals oppose it.
I seriously doubt that. With just a plain video replay it's often very difficult to see if there was a fine edge or nothing. The Cowan dismissal would not have been overturned. The Hussey one might have been.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
We need your money. Pretty much the only thing India are useful for right now.
No you don't need it. You want it. Cricket boards aren't suddenly going into penury because they won't play India unless they get on board the UDRS train. It's plain and simple greed. There's no moral high ground here.

gvenkat

State Captain
Pretty much. The argument against UDRS is basically that a 95% correct system is better than 98% because the latter is not 100%.
Right, That is the premise the Neanderthals aka BCCI are making. But let's to get to 97% with the elimination of the questionable items and get a system that is better than the 95% onboard and work from there. That is my suggestion.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Englamd's batting is being massively over-rated ATM. The past two series they've won have been against piss poor attacks, though their own bowling has been wonderful.

They've batted very well against those attacks, of course, and good on them.
Agree, wholeheartedly.

gvenkat

State Captain
No you don't need it. You want it. Cricket boards aren't suddenly going into penury because they won't play India unless they get on board the UDRS train. It's plain and simple greed. There's no moral high ground here.
Yep. Well said. They want it.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I believe that is what the Indian's are saying and also there was something during the England series that prompted the poms to question the hotspot. Can't recall.
Laxman nicked one at Trent Bridge which wasn't picked up. It's not a perfect technology, but a piece of technology which gives conclusive results is far better than not using that technology all together. I can't believe that this is even remotely up for debate.

gvenkat

State Captain
I seriously doubt that. With just a plain video replay it's often very difficult to see if there was a fine edge or nothing. The Cowan dismissal would not have been overturned. The Hussey one might have been.
With a plain replay you would have got Hussey batting again and Siddle out. That means 2/3 would have been reversed. Cowan's would not have been. But at least 2/3 is better than 0/3.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
awta. As others have pointed out, all the cricket boards that bow down to every BCCI wish are also culpable to an extent. They have an alternative but they clearly find that less palatable than giving in.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Absolutely.

Although in Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and in all 4 Tests against India there was only 1 instance of the opposition putting more than 300 on the board on decks where England scored 620/5, 500-odd, 644, 474/8, 500 odd, 700 and something/6 and 591/6. That can't just be put down to bad bowling from the opposition. Cook, Trott, Pietersen and Bell have all pall had absolutely monstrous innings in the last year - between them they've hit 6 double tons since Brisbane, with Cook also hitting 189 at Sydney, Trott hitting 168* at Melbourne and KP hitting 175 at the Oval. At the moment, no other batting lineup is consistently putting up those sorts of numbers. England's batting is a seriously good unit right now.
I'd put it down to England's bowling being far better than the oppositions on all of those occasions myself. The English batting was also better, but not to the same extent.

If you bowl rubbish you often go for a lot of runs, especially against decent batsmen.

gvenkat

State Captain
Laxman nicked one at Trent Bridge which wasn't picked up. It's not a perfect technology, but a piece of technology which gives conclusive results is far better than not using that technology all together. I can't believe that this is even remotely up for debate.
Dude, I'm all for technology. All I want is something consistent across the board. Right now with this way India are never going to accept it without 100% accuracy. So at least get a system that everyone accepts and go from there. As simple as that.

Jacknife

International Captain
Yes, it was when VVS got one that didn't show up on hotspot but was clear on Snicko and the players all heard it clearly but so what, I'd still have it and I bet all the England players would as well. I can take the very odd time it may not show up because they are so few and far between, same goes for any perceived problems with HawkEye as well, for the once or twice there may have been problems, it's corrected countless incorrect calls.