• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The current England side would perform a particularly gruesome fatality on Australia even if Ponting transformed into Thor and started batting with a hammer.
Englamd's batting is being massively over-rated ATM. The past two series they've won have been against piss poor attacks, though their own bowling has been wonderful.

They've batted very well against those attacks, of course, and good on them.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
:laugh: I reckon Ponting is capable of making runs and even though he hasn't scored a ton in years he's still good enough to contribute to this Aussie line up but I personally can't see him returning to his past glories. I'd personally love it if he managed another England tour in 2013, just so we can send him home all disappointed again.
Not gonna lie, I find it hard to hate Ponting, or even dislike the man probably has something to do with the frequency with which I watch the third test from 05. :sleep:

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
It's my guilty pleasure that he's my favourite batsmen.

The innings was superb it was one of them that made the series so competitive because its not like Australia were a huge distance away from the total, had he got more support they'd have chased it down.

Jacknife

International Captain
Englamd's batting is being massively over-rated ATM. The past two series they've won have been against piss poor attacks, though their own bowling has been wonderful.

They've batted very well against those attacks, of course, and good on them.
Tbh honest I don't reckon it is over rated by a lot of people because fans from other countries keep saying the same things like what you've just said, hence people seem to play their batting down a fair bit.

FWIW I think England at the moment have a group of players peaking at the same time, players like Trott, Cook, Bell,Prior & KP all seem to be hitting great form the last couple of years, how much is it down to average bowling, we'll find out but they face the same line ups as everyone else.

Burgey

It's my guilty pleasure that he's my favourite batsmen.

The innings was superb it was one of them that made the series so competitive because its not like Australia were a huge distance away from the total, had he got more support they'd have chased it down.
Yeah I remember the graphics saying England needed four wickets to win, then he and Warne put on a few and all of a sudden they started putting up the runs to win as well.

It was a great day's play.

Burgey

Tbh honest I don't reckon it is over rated by a lot of people because fans from other countries keep saying the same things like what you've just said, hence people seem to play their batting down a fair bit.

FWIW I think England at the moment have a group of players peaking at the same time, players like Trott, Cook, Bell,Prior & KP all seem to be hitting great form the last couple of years, how much is it down to average bowling, we'll find out but they face the same line ups as everyone else.
I don't doubt what you're saying in terms of players peaking together, just I think the real strength in that side is the bowling.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I don't doubt what you're saying in terms of players peaking together, just I think the real strength in that side is the bowling.
Absolutely.

Although in Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and in all 4 Tests against India there was only 1 instance of the opposition putting more than 300 on the board on decks where England scored 620/5, 500-odd, 644, 474/8, 500 odd, 700 and something/6 and 591/6. That can't just be put down to bad bowling from the opposition. Cook, Trott, Pietersen and Bell have all pall had absolutely monstrous innings in the last year - between them they've hit 6 double tons since Brisbane, with Cook also hitting 189 at Sydney, Trott hitting 168* at Melbourne and KP hitting 175 at the Oval. At the moment, no other batting lineup is consistently putting up those sorts of numbers. England's batting is a seriously good unit right now.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Besides Cowan, the batsman that's impressed me the most with his approach and application has been Haddin. A real surprise.

He's come to the crease with his side in a bit of trouble (a situation he is familiar with in recent times) and instead of recklessly throwing his wicket away he's played an intelligent, sensible innings.

If he can continue to anchor one end and allow Siddle and Pattinson to play their natural game at the other, he could see Australia through to a competitive total. The question is, can he maintain this mental approach?
That's what Afridi fans always say.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
There was a clear appeal against Dravid in Sydney four years ago. Yet there were comments here to the effect Gilchrist in particular "must have known" Dravid wasn't out, and it was a disgrace they even went up for it.
Of course, this is not the case that it was a disgrace. If ever I suggested it was, I was wrong.

Whether there's a clear appeal or not doesn't abrogate the umpire's responsibility to give a correct decision, human error notwithstanding. That there's a system available to help umpires but India wants to stay in the Stone Age is ridiculous.

It's also no coincidence you'll get more vociferous and consistent appealing in matches where there is no DRS.
All true.

I do not think my views in this post contrast the views I posted in response to Scaly though. The truth is certainly not as black and white as many would have it. It is shades of grey and about drawing a line where intuition dictates.

Burgey

Of course, this is not the case that it was a disgrace. If ever I suggested it was, I was wrong.

All true.

I do not think my views in this post contrast the views I posted in response to Scaly though. The truth is certainly not as black and white as many would have it. It is shades of grey and about drawing a line where intuition dictates.
True. There will always be that question, and it will most often depend on who you support, batting or bowling side involved. That invariably comes into it.

Wasn't suggesting you'd made those claims re the Dravid appeal btw :)

Furball

Evil Scotsman

All true.

Haven't really followed this debate so this doesn't apply to anyone in particular, but if people regard a batsman who doesn't walk to be a cheat then the same should apply to bowlers and fielders who appeal to the umpire when they know that the batsman is not out.

gvenkat

State Captain
There was a clear appeal against Dravid in Sydney four years ago. Yet there were comments here to the effect Gilchrist in particular "must have known" Dravid wasn't out, and it was a disgrace they even went up for it.

Whether there's a clear appeal or not doesn't abrogate the umpire's responsibility to give a correct decision, human error notwithstanding. That there's a system available to help umpires but India wants to stay in the Stone Age is ridiculous.

It's also no coincidence you'll get more vociferous and consistent appealing in matches where there is no DRS.
The bottom line is why can't all the other boards take a principled stand against BCCI when it comes to the DRS. There are nine other members who can possibly veto BCCI and vote for the DRS. Instead of blaming the BCCI that would be a step forward.

Stapel

International Regular
Not gonna lie, I find it hard to hate Ponting, or even dislike the man probably has something to do with the frequency with which I watch the third test from 05. :sleep:
Oh my. What an innings that was.
The first match I watched live after the BBC stopped broadcasting cricket. The 2nd Test had convinced me I should watch cricket again. What an innings that was. When he got out, there was this brilliant commentary: He's OUT Ricky! Ponting is OUT! As if something impossible has happened.0
His dismissal left what.... four??? overs to McGrath & Lee. McGrath, only slightly better than Chris Martin with a bat, became a hero with the bat too.

Absolutely.

Although in Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and in all 4 Tests against India there was only 1 instance of the opposition putting more than 300 on the board on decks where England scored 620/5, 500-odd, 644, 474/8, 500 odd, 700 and something/6 and 591/6. That can't just be put down to bad bowling from the opposition. Cook, Trott, Pietersen and Bell have all pall had absolutely monstrous innings in the last year - between them they've hit 6 double tons since Brisbane, with Cook also hitting 189 at Sydney, Trott hitting 168* at Melbourne and KP hitting 175 at the Oval. At the moment, no other batting lineup is consistently putting up those sorts of numbers. England's batting is a seriously good unit right now.
This!
Of course England's bowling attack is top gun. But the downplay of England's batsmen is, imho, somewhat annoying.
-Bell is a delight to watch. Great technique
-Trott understands his wicket is worth a million
-Cook has scored 5000 runs within 5 years (from 21 - 26). That is massive!
-Pietersen is just Pietersen: exciting to watch.

Stapel

International Regular
Haven't really followed this debate so this doesn't apply to anyone in particular, but if people regard a batsman who doesn't walk to be a cheat then the same should apply to bowlers and fielders who appeal to the umpire when they know that the batsman is not out.
To be fair, an appeal is often out in the air, before a bowler or fielder realises that can never be out.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
The bottom line is why can't all the other boards take a principled stand against BCCI when it comes to the DRS. There are nine other members who can possibly veto BCCI and vote for the DRS. Instead of blaming the BCCI that would be a step forward.
Well it doesn't help when half of those boards are run by corrupt pigs.