• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I did not use the provocative term 'cheating'. It is the same phenomenon that has teams over appealing and showing dissent when a decision does not go their way and so such a thing should be likewise punished. You assume I see no wrong in any of India's actions but I have been most critical of the sledging and 'carrying on' of the likes of Sreesanth in the past. To equate what I said with accusing Broad of 'cheating' is a plain misrepresentation. A plain misrepresentation because you have found nothing contentious in what I have said and yet, it has made you angry.

EDIT: I also did not defend 'India', I responded to the accusations of Zaheer and Ashwin that you made. I saw them as baseless. I have no patriotic motive for doing so. I'd be more than happy to criticize the attitude and behaviour of India, if it were necessary. It would distract me from the fact that the bowling unit is simply not very good, performance-wise.
With regards to Broad you said he was "pretending it is definitely out in order to convince the umpire that it is so" - that is cheating because of the intent/motive (which in itself is very difficult to prove anyway). I'm sure many people would beat around the bush and label it as something else. But it is in essence cheating. It is an unfair attempt to gain an advantage. It doesn't have to be as extreme as taking steroids, breakdancing on the pitch or claiming a catch you know you've grounded to be cheating, there are different levels.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
With regards to Broad you said he was "pretending it is definitely out in order to convince the umpire that it is so" - that is cheating because of the intent/motive (which in itself is very difficult to prove anyway). I'm sure many people would beat around the bush and label it as something else. But it is in essence cheating. It is an unfair attempt to gain an advantage. It doesn't have to be as extreme as taking steroids, breakdancing on the pitch or claiming a catch you know you've grounded to be cheating, there are different levels.
If you want to get pedantic about it, it is such a low level of cheating so far detached from the common usage of the word that any intuitive response is rendered invalid.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Overall a pretty even position after Day 1. Would be good if we can roll them over for 320 or so, but rather doubt us doing that considering our history of letting tails wag. Maybe 370 or so.

The pitch didn't look anything dangerous and of course part of the reason was that India pretty much wasted the new ball in the first session getting them to play little. Could be a different story when India bats if an early wicket falls.

BeeGee

International Captain
Besides Cowan, the batsman that's impressed me the most with his approach and application has been Haddin. A real surprise.

He's come to the crease with his side in a bit of trouble (a situation he is familiar with in recent times) and instead of recklessly throwing his wicket away he's played an intelligent, sensible innings.

If he can continue to anchor one end and allow Siddle and Pattinson to play their natural game at the other, he could see Australia through to a competitive total. The question is, can he maintain this mental approach?

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
I reckon Ponting's starting to get back into form, if he is then thanks India, you've ballsed up the next Ashes for England :/

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The current England side would perform a particularly gruesome fatality on Australia even if Ponting transformed into Thor and started batting with a hammer.

Jacknife

International Captain
I reckon Ponting's starting to get back into form, if he is then thanks India, you've ballsed up the next Ashes for England :/
:laugh: I reckon Ponting is capable of making runs and even though he hasn't scored a ton in years he's still good enough to contribute to this Aussie line up but I personally can't see him returning to his past glories. I'd personally love it if he managed another England tour in 2013, just so we can send him home all disappointed again.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's quite sad that an exciting Test match has been tarnished by crappy umpiring and lack of DRS.
That's my biggest bugbear with India's stance on DRS.

I don't want to catch up on a thread after Christmas and read pages of dross with people whinging about decisions and pro-BCCI lackeys trolling for a reaction, I don't want batsmen on debut being dismissed when they haven't made an error and I don't want a batsmen potentially having time called on his career because he was in poor form going into a Test and got a shocker first ball when there is a perfectly good system in place to stop things like that happening.

Daemon

Going by some of the **** in this thread I'm happy with my restricted and limited access to the internet atm..

Jacknife

International Captain
That's my biggest bugbear with India's stance on DRS.

I don't want to catch up on a thread after Christmas and read pages of dross with people whinging about decisions and pro-BCCI lackeys trolling for a reaction, I don't want batsmen on debut being dismissed when they haven't made an error and I don't want a batsmen potentially having time called on his career because he was in poor form going into a Test and got a shocker first ball when there is a perfectly good system in place to stop things like that happening.
As a neutral it is a bit ****e reading pages of bickering about umpire decisions, especially when there's meant to be this thing knocking around that can help, can't remember the name of it.

Jacknife

International Captain
I do think some people are suffering from (and I usually hate this word) nostalgia filter too, though. I'd imagine the actual number of Test series where both sides were playing genuinely high quality cricket the majority of the time in the last decade wouldn't be very large. Even 2005, as amazing as it was, didn't have the highest quality of cricket imaginable from both sides, but that doesn't - and shouldn't - detract from how good a series it was.
Completely agree with all this and it often dawns on me that I'm guilty of it especially when you go back and watch old DVD'S and reviews of test matches and you can clearly see the level now is imo as good as ever.

Burgey

With the Hussey dismissal, there seems to be a clear appeal. Same with Ashwin. Ashwin didn't turn around for long but that's because the finger was up. The issue people have with Broad is he goes with the childish tactic of pretending it is definitely out in order to convince the umpire that it is so.
There was a clear appeal against Dravid in Sydney four years ago. Yet there were comments here to the effect Gilchrist in particular "must have known" Dravid wasn't out, and it was a disgrace they even went up for it.

Whether there's a clear appeal or not doesn't abrogate the umpire's responsibility to give a correct decision, human error notwithstanding. That there's a system available to help umpires but India wants to stay in the Stone Age is ridiculous.

It's also no coincidence you'll get more vociferous and consistent appealing in matches where there is no DRS.