• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka in South Africa 2011/12

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
Morkel could walk into any team in the world at the moment (apart from England) and RSA is replacing him for Tsotsobe. :huh:
Well, I hope it's not Tsotsobe as it will only force Morkel back into the team. I'd love to see De Lange being picked, or any of the guys who have made a name in the local 4-dayers.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Tsotsobe does average 27ish in FC and is a very good bowler. Morne is miles better though imo, and regardless of his form should be kept in the team. As I have said before (not sure if I have here), if Morne is out of form, what better series than this one to find it again?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Tsotsobe does average 27ish in FC and is a very good bowler.
DWTA strongly. He's just not very good, and I'd be looking at the likes of Friend and Theron ahead of him at this stage (not that Morkel should be anywhere near getting dropped - and I say that as the biggest Morkel sceptic on this forum before Garson started posting :p).

Also, if you remove the wickets he's taken in glorified three-day park cricket for Eastern Province he averages over 30 with the ball in First Class cricket; numbers that suggest he's in the same ballpark as Albie Morkel as a bowler. That 27 figure (which is hardly great shakes anyway if you're looking at a Test prospect) is slightly misleading.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
DWTA strongly. He's just not very good, and I'd be looking at the likes of Friend and Theron ahead of him at this stage (not that Morkel should be anywhere near getting dropped - and I say that as the biggest Morkel sceptic on this forum before Garson started posting :p).

Also, if you remove the wickets he's taken in glorified three-day park cricket for Eastern Province he averages over 30 with the ball in First Class cricket; numbers that suggest he's in the same ballpark as Albie Morkel as a bowler; that 27 figure (which is hardly great shakes anyway if you're looking at a Test prospect) is slightly misleading.
Haha, saved me asking the question.

edit: what does Philander average in proper FC cricket (ignore his Test stats for now)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haha, saved me asking the question.

edit: what does Philander average in proper FC cricket (ignore his Test stats for now)
Philander has taken 30 wickets @ 12 in prank cricket.

For the Cobras (his proper franchise team) and Western Province-Boland (the old name for it after the two traditional sides first 'merged' into the franchise) he's taken 197 wickets @ 19.91.

He's also played for Middlesex (10 wickets @ 27), South Africa A (14 wickets @ 32) and some Tests (24 wickets @ 12).

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The guy's had one bad match ffs. Geez, let's not get crazy here.
I think only one person is actually suggesting Morkel should get dropped; the rest of us are just discussing South Africa's pace bowling depth, which is definitely an interesting topic.

MrPrez

International Debutant
It was joke afaik.

Anyway, I still rate Lopsy as a Test-quality bowler, but I would take Morne over him anyday (obv). All I'm trying to say is that people underrate Lopsy, largely because of his spell at Essex.
Whoever mentioned Albie Morkel needs their head examined, I don't want to see him near a red ball (not a white one either, coincidentally).
@popepouri: I wouldn't say his past 12 months have been very consistent, but I agree that he definitely shouldn't be dropped. I don't think anyone other than Garson (I think) wants him dropped, we're just talking about the other pacers SA have in their stocks.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
As much as I feel sorry for Sri Lankan cricket, this was bound to happen. I have always found them a tad overrated. They perform well in the subcontinent and do really well in limited overs cricket but for a nation that has had some really talented and great cricketers, they just don't win enough test matches outside of the subcontinent, forget about test series.

Sangakkara has been disappointing overseas. Don't rate Jayawardene too highly so his failures are not surprising. Overrated batsman.

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
Okay, maybe we can rest Steyn for the last test (if we've already won the series) and get De Lange in there. Not only will De Lange compete with Morkel on the same surface, but there would never be any suggestions that Steyn was actually dropped. Is this more of a win-win for you guys?

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Morkel hasnt been at his best but this is a great opportunity for him to regain his form and fitness...Sri Lankan batsmen cannot handle pace bowling and if he can get some good spells and wickets under his belt, that will help him a great deal. I dont mind resting Steyn though once the series is won, I really dont want him breaking down anytime soon.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Why are we trying to find a spot for de Lange? He's still young - we don't particularly want to put him out so soon, let him develop first!

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
Why are we trying to find a spot for de Lange? He's still young - we don't particularly want to put him out so soon, let him develop first!
He's just a good example. Put someone else unknown in if you wish. The point is that we must draft in new players when the opportunities arise. This idea of just sticking with the same team will never elevate South African cricket. You must always be looking at improving the team.

Nomanculture

School Boy/Girl Captain
Chandimal will replace Silva it seems. Will be a walking wicket in these conditions IMO. Has a specific deficiency against left arm seamers, so if Tsotsobe plays I back Chandimal to score two ducks. Not that he'll score much against other bowlers. Hasn't proven himself as a Test class wicket keeper either...

Migara

International Coach
Chandimal most probably will fail. But there is about 10% chance that he will get in. If he gets in then there will be some positive cricket. Especially if Mathews also has got his eye in.

ganeshran

International Debutant
I have high hopes for Chandimal in ODIs. Tests not that much, but he couldnt do worse than some of the other batsmen