• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official New Zealand Domestic Cricket 2011/2012 ***

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I see NZC have felt the need to clarify the use of the 3rd umpire

Still think this is bollocks. What if the replay had shown the ball was clearly missing, yet the umpire's basically said "I think its out, I'm just not sure if he's hit it". I thought it was a poor call myself when the umpire hadn't given Pollard out. If he'd given Pollard out, and then gone to the replay to clarify whether he'd hit it, I think it wouldn't have looked so poor. However, it just looked as if the umpire didn't have a clue and referred it once the Aucklanders had a semi-appeal over it. If that's the rule, I think it needs changing.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh so the umpire hadn't given it out, the third umpire did? I was under the impression umpir Knights was going to give it out but wanted to check whether he'd hit it or not.

In that case, crap decision. Awful. Clarify it all you want NZC but no way should that have been made with the amount of evidence or lack thereof, and certainly with as much doubt as there was. Can only presume Simon 'there is no doubt that's out' Doull has a double ticket as the third umpire as well.

HeathDavisSpeed

Well, I'm not sure. The on-field umpire certainly didn't give it out at the time. I guess what we're missing is what he said to the third umpire. If he said "This is out, but I just want to check the edge" then that's one thing I guess but personally I think he should have clearly given Pollard out (put the finger up) and then said he's going to check the edge as otherwise the whole thing looks arse about face.

I certainly hope a bit more common sense is used in the future as on TV it looked like a not out was overruled for a very unclear Lbw.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, you're right. Now that I've seen it again I think he was going upstairs after being asked by a fielder, perhaps? Hopkins or whoever it was. Hadn't intended to give it, which was the correct call, then was overturned.

The ball never really seems to deviate in any case. It hits the back of his boot, continues on pretty much the same path. Doesn't hit...therefore not out.

Cricket CoachDB

U19 Debutant
The database team at Childish Things will be blushing about now, I reckon...

As their main rival, I read this and had to register to express my amusement :D

I can't really comment on their DB seeing as I switched team a year ago, but can imagine it isn't the most accurate.

Only found this thread today, after spending much of the past few months updating the New Zealand rosters. It's helped with a lot of little details, and news I'd missed (eg Bullick retiring), so a big "Thanks" from me!

I've not got to the end of the thread yet, but when I do I'll probably have a few questions that some of the experts on here can help me with. In particular I'm trying to get all the "A" team players in the game, if I can get DOB's/styles for everyone. On that note-does anyone know Jo O'Connor's DOB? And is he a right arm bowler (I'm thinking RMF speed-wise with movement his strength).

A quick disclaimer-I'm not a spammer, so I'll stay off the promotional-vibe and stick to questions. You all use the net, if you want to know more, you know what to do!

A "hi" to Golden from the CC Forum if you lurk on here too.

HeathDavisSpeed

Leamington Spa - a quality place. Lived there for a while about a decade ago. Now, I hope you've got Mark Houghton down as a star player in your database.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
As their main rival, I read this and had to register to express my amusement :D

I can't really comment on their DB seeing as I switched team a year ago, but can imagine it isn't the most accurate.
Haha yeah they had Murdoch as one of the best batsmen in the world; he got a pair so I had to have a snipe. Someone (a member here, actually) who knows the Childish Things guys tried to get them to use my database and they said they'd be right without it, so I'm always amused when someone like that happens too. :p

That said, Murdoch's gone on to have a decent season so far, pair aside.

Cricket CoachDB

U19 Debutant
@Heath-yeah, it's not too shabby; if you're going to live in the West Midlands, there aren't many more chilled out places! As far as Houghton goes..I'm going to guess that means ICC have him rated highly? :laugh: He's amongst the sub-FC ranks in mine.

@Prince-Murdoch is a bit of a tricky case to judge. He looked like a bit of a break-out player last season and is certainly a player to watch. I'm not sure that he'll ever reach Test level though-he's established himself in FC pretty late, and the string of ducks did indicate fallibility. It might help if he just sticks to opening rather than being shunted up and down depending on whether they want to indulge Brodie :wacko:

Talking of Wellington..one guy that has caused confusion for me is Kuggeleijn: he had a pretty shoddy record in Holland last season, but he's taking some wickets now. He sounds raw, but improving; I guess it's his pace that has given him his chance ahead of others?

And what's going on with Burrt? Seemed an odd choice for a contract given the time he's missed with injuries, and he seems no nearer to the first team now.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Talking of Wellington..one guy that has caused confusion for me is Kuggeleijn: he had a pretty shoddy record in Holland last season, but he's taking some wickets now. He sounds raw, but improving; I guess it's his pace that has given him his chance ahead of others?

And what's going on with Burrt? Seemed an odd choice for a contract given the time he's missed with injuries, and he seems no nearer to the first team now.
Kuggs got in because of his pace and a promising start in the training pre-season. Has done alright so far so it seems justified.
Burtt is just perpetually injured or else he have played already. Keeps getting close to playing and having to pull out.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
@Heath-yeah, it's not too shabby; if you're going to live in the West Midlands, there aren't many more chilled out places! As far as Houghton goes..I'm going to guess that means ICC have him rated highly? :laugh: He's amongst the sub-FC ranks in mine.

@Prince-Murdoch is a bit of a tricky case to judge. He looked like a bit of a break-out player last season and is certainly a player to watch. I'm not sure that he'll ever reach Test level though-he's established himself in FC pretty late, and the string of ducks did indicate fallibility. It might help if he just sticks to opening rather than being shunted up and down depending on whether they want to indulge Brodie :wacko:

Best new member, by the way. Welcome to the forum.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Kuggs got in because of his pace and a promising start in the training pre-season. Has done alright so far so it seems justified.
Burtt is just perpetually injured or else he have played already. Keeps getting close to playing and having to pull out.
Firebirds not pregnant etc etc.

HeathDavisSpeed

Nah. Houghton plays for my club's first XI and he's usually right up there in the Wellington club cricket stats with bat and ball. I'm pretty sure he won Cricket Welington's MVP trophy last season. He's deserved more opportunities IMO, but when you've got Woodcock ahead of you and with how well he's been going with the bat, it's pretty tough to break through. Probably should have moved elsewhere when Wellington signed that top class spinner Robbie Schaw a couple of years back.

Cricket CoachDB

U19 Debutant
He is the only player in my DB with Injury Proneness 99! I had to nerf his stats a bit to stop him getting picked by the AI every game, but I've given him some decent potential.

Cricket CoachDB

U19 Debutant
Best new member, by the way. Welcome to the forum.
Cheers mate, I think I'm going to like it here.

@Athlai, no, Murdoch certainly isn't rubbish; I'm just not sure quite how good he is, or can become, yet.

@Heath-that sort of info on Houghton is just the sort of thing I need. Cricinfo and Cricket Archive don't really give much in the way of non-FC games, so the more I can hear about unheralded players with potential who deserve a crack, the better. I expect he'll be one of the players to watch in the "A" competition? D'yer reckon he'll get a chance in the future? Woodcock is batting out of his skin but he's never exactly been the biggest turner of the ball; a younger spinner who can also bat could compliment him nicely.

BTW I've got Harry Wright down as a promising young spinner who might make it, and Niranjan Naguleswaran seemed to bat well for the U23's and also spins-any ideas if they are rated as first-team prospects, or indeed if they are likely to figure in the A's?

My other observation: Papps OD form seems to be the opposite of his FC form..I didn't see that coming. Maybe it just took time to settle in?

Meridio

International Regular
Cheers mate, I think I'm going to like it here.

@Athlai, no, Murdoch certainly isn't rubbish; I'm just not sure quite how good he is, or can become, yet.

@Heath-that sort of info on Houghton is just the sort of thing I need. Cricinfo and Cricket Archive don't really give much in the way of non-FC games, so the more I can hear about unheralded players with potential who deserve a crack, the better. I expect he'll be one of the players to watch in the "A" competition? D'yer reckon he'll get a chance in the future? Woodcock is batting out of his skin but he's never exactly been the biggest turner of the ball; a younger spinner who can also bat could compliment him nicely.

BTW I've got Harry Wright down as a promising young spinner who might make it, and Niranjan Naguleswaran seemed to bat well for the U23's and also spins-any ideas if they are rated as first-team prospects, or indeed if they are likely to figure in the A's?

My other observation: Papps OD form seems to be the opposite of his FC form..I didn't see that coming. Maybe it just took time to settle in?
Harry Wright's injured, hasn't bowled all season and won't bowl for the rest of the season, is currently playing club cricket as a batsman only. Don't really know how close he'd be to an A team spot, though he did get picked as a batsman in the Wellington U-23s vs Hutt a couple of weeks ago.

Naguleswaran I haven't seen much of, but from what I've picked up he doesn't particularly stand out at club level though apparently some selectors think highly of him. His off-spinners are handy but nothing special and he's averaging about 6 with the bat in club cricket this year (see the Cricket Wellington site here: Wellington Cricket- Draws/Results)

Howsie

International Captain
@Prince-Murdoch is a bit of a tricky case to judge. He looked like a bit of a break-out player last season and is certainly a player to watch. I'm not sure that he'll ever reach Test level though-he's established himself in FC pretty late, and the string of ducks did indicate fallibility. It might help if he just sticks to opening rather than being shunted up and down depending on whether they want to indulge Brodie
Yeah, if you haven't cracked domestic cricket in New Zealand by your mid 20's chances are you probably aren't very good. Murdoch's had a nice start but I don't know how much you can read into it, he's probably just been picked while he's at the top of his game, much like Brad Patton a couple of seasons ago for CD.

Cricket CoachDB

U19 Debutant
Thanks for that, all gem info.

One guy I've just spotted who is a bit of an odd pick is Cole McConchie: The Home of CricketArchive

Didn't have a great U23's season last year, indeed terrible with the bat, and seems to have started bowling more for his English club (for whom he often opens and generally stars for). Looks like he made the Canterbury side as an all-rounder; or because there was nobody else? Well he got James Marshall ('keeping? :laugh:) out against a Lashings XI, and I'd guess the C.Hughes listed could be Chesney of Derbyshire: The Home of CricketArchive

That Lashings World XI is pretty handy, but I bet they're sluggish in the field!

HeathDavisSpeed

I saw Michael Pollard play against Lashings last year for Brentwood. Interestingly, CricketArchive has the Pollard that played in that game down as a different player, but it was definitely the same guy that plays for Wellington. He's now number 1 in my favourite batsman list. Playing for Brentwood AND Wellington? WAG!