• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

Ruckus

International Captain
If Cowan does debut, I see him as more of a stop gap than anything else. Reckon he could do quite a good job for a few years though, until someone better comes along.

ganeshran

International Debutant
*cough*Michael Hussey/Matthew Hayden*cough*
Hayden made his debut in his early 20s IIRC. but he didnt play very well and went back to domestic cricket to prove himself and came back stronger. But he still had international exposure at a relatively young age. Dont know the reason behind Hussey's late debut though.

IMO CA should pick out relatively young players and give them a chance. Even if they fare badly they still have time to improve and come back wiser, or they can always pick proven performers like Katich.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hayden made his debut in his early 20s IIRC. but he didnt play very well and went back to domestic cricket to prove himself and came back stronger. But he still had international exposure at a relatively young age. Dont know the reason behind Hussey's late debut though.

IMO CA should pick out relatively young players and give them a chance. Even if they fare badly they still have time to improve and come back wiser, or they can always pick proven performers like Katich.
CA should pick the best players they have. It'd give them a significant advantage over pretty much every other team.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I don't agree with your viewpoint in the slightest. If a young player doesn't have the performances to demand Test selection then they have no further right to play international cricket than the likes of Ed Cowan.

If the young player is any good, they will prove it at domestic level by scoring in excess of the likes of Ed Cowan and Wes Robinson.

Last edited:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
So what are the odds of australia winning this?
TAB Sportsbet has the following for the series result:

- Australia to win: 2.40
- India to win: 2.40
- Draw: 4.00

No real value as it should be a pretty open contest. No idea what overseas markets are showing either.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bet 365 advert on Cricinfo has
Australia 13/10
India 11/4
Draw 15/8

Hard to believe Aussies are such firm favourites for the 1st test.

ganeshran

International Debutant
CA should pick the best players they have. It'd give them a significant advantage over pretty much every other team.
I don't agree with your viewpoint in the slightest. If a young player doesn't have the performances to demand Test selection then they have no further right to play international cricket than the likes of Ed Cowan.

If the young player is any good, they will prove it at domestic level by scoring in excess of the likes of Ed Cowan and Wes Robinson.
I posted from a long term perspective. IMO, If a player makes his debut and runs into a run of poor form at 35, the selectors are much more likely to chuck him out since age is not on his side. However if he debuts at 24-25, he can comeback even if makes mistakes initially. Hughes for example can be dropped now without putting the rest of his international career in jeopardy.

iamdavid

International Debutant
I would say there are 5 players certain to play and you could make cases for and against every other member of the side that played against NZ. The 5 safe ones are Clarke, Warner, Lyon, Pattinson and Siddle. The rest is up for grabs. Reminds me so much of England in the 90's.
I'd be intrigued to hear your case for Phil Hughes :ph34r:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
McDonald got repeated injuries, stopped bowling as much and lost form at the wrong time, really.

He got injured every time he even touched a cricket ball last season and his reduced bowling workload this season has seem him return 5 wickets @ 56; yet to take more than one wicket in an innings. He'd not offer anything more than Hussey does with the ball at the moment and I don't think that's an exaggeration at all.
Tbh, I was referring to the treatment of McDonald a couple of years ago

Having said that I reckon Dussey offers as much to the current Oz x1 as Christian - he can actually bat well enough to play at 6 whilst he, Clarke, and Mussey would probably do no less damage in 15 overs a day

Im happy to be proven wrong but reckon Christian offers sweet **** all - not good enough to bat 6 or bowl with either economy or penetration

Last edited:

Bobisback

International Regular
Went and saw a bit of these two days of the tour match. Kohli looks so freaking good, such good form. When he got word to wrap it up he batted amazingly. The two sixes he hit off Holland seemed effortless. Didnt actually see him get out, was buying icecream off the kid who was talking around with the tub around his neck.

Warner getting out was really disappointing. Watched very little after that. Cowan and Khawaja just buckled down until lunch. Most exciting part after Kohli's innings was the kids coming out and playing. One kid was spinning the ball on the grass, destroyed the other kids when he was batting. Put a couple into the stands (be it only 15m or so) and fielded like a champ. Came running at the ball at one point, one handed pick up then fired it at the stumps. Keeper was woeful though and it ended going for like 10 over throws.

When we left Warner was in the nets smashing the crap out of the balls. Came two steps down the pitch and smashed a ball switch hit style. Was the most amazing shot ive ever seen. Rubbed one out thinking about it when I got home.

One thing I noticed, this being my first time seeing an Indian match, is that Indian fans are freaking crazy. When the Australians came out to warm up they got a bit of a clap. A few yells of like "Marry me Dougeh" but that was from us. But then, even when the ball boy for the indians came out their fans were going nuts. When the actual players came out it was hard to distinguish between the grown men and the 12 year old girls. Yelling and screaming at the players and if they were lucky enough that the player locked eyes with them they would go hysterical. We were sitting near their tunnel and when Sehwag got out as he got closer my mate yelled out "That's a good start to your summer" ending it with a giggle. I honestly feared for my life.

I did learn one thing from this. The nightlife in Canberra on a monday is.... freaking amazing. Was not expecting that. Still sick.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Went and saw a bit of these two days of the tour match. Kohli looks so freaking good, such good form. When he got word to wrap it up he batted amazingly. The two sixes he hit off Holland seemed effortless. Didnt actually see him get out, was buying icecream off the kid who was talking around with the tub around his neck.

Warner getting out was really disappointing. Watched very little after that. Cowan and Khawaja just buckled down until lunch. Most exciting part after Kohli's innings was the kids coming out and playing. One kid was spinning the ball on the grass, destroyed the other kids when he was batting. Put a couple into the stands (be it only 15m or so) and fielded like a champ. Came running at the ball at one point, one handed pick up then fired it at the stumps. Keeper was woeful though and it ended going for like 10 over throws.

When we left Warner was in the nets smashing the crap out of the balls. Came two steps down the pitch and smashed a ball switch hit style. Was the most amazing shot ive ever seen. Rubbed one out thinking about it when I got home.

One thing I noticed, this being my first time seeing an Indian match, is that Indian fans are freaking crazy. When the Australians came out to warm up they got a bit of a clap. A few yells of like "Marry me Dougeh" but that was from us. But then, even when the ball boy for the indians came out their fans were going nuts. When the actual players came out it was hard to distinguish between the grown men and the 12 year old girls. Yelling and screaming at the players and if they were lucky enough that the player locked eyes with them they would go hysterical. We were sitting near their tunnel and when Sehwag got out as he got closer my mate yelled out "That's a good start to your summer" ending it with a giggle. I honestly feared for my life.

I did learn one thing from this. The nightlife in Canberra on a monday is.... freaking amazing. Was not expecting that. Still sick.
Did you see Hughes' dismissal? Poor bugger really can't take a trick ATM.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Bet 365 advert on Cricinfo has
Australia 13/10
India 11/4
Draw 15/8

Hard to believe Aussies are such firm favourites for the 1st test.
Seems about right according to oddschecker:

Australia 7/5 (2.40)
Draw 15/8 (2.88)
India 76/25 (4.00)

India actually almost worth a sly quid or two. Trouble is their batting* folded quicker than superman on laundry day the last time they faced a test class attack awwy from home.

*The non-Rahul Dravid part of it

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Actually it is too. My mistake.

Still a pack of soft ****s :ph34r:
In fairness, I'm fairly sure that Cowan is our only FC player as well. Kind of embarrassing when you think about how long my school has been around for. He came and spoke to my year one time. Was a great speaker and it was awesome to hear about his early cricketing career.

howardj

International Coach
Bet they announce a squad of 14 today:

Warner
Marsh
Watson
Cowan
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Christian
Haddin
Lyon
Siddle
Harris
Starc
Pattinson

Can't see them risking Marsh, Watson and Harris in the first of back-to-back Tests, meaning the Team will be:

Cowan
Warner
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Christian
Haddin
Pattinson
Siddle
Harris
Lyon

EDIT - Starc for Harris obv