• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It is a bit mad when there is so much speculation about the side this close to the announcement of it and there are about 16 players who could end up being picked and most Aussies would think they may have it right.

Hughes has to go but if Watson isn't fit would they pick Cowan? Ponting and Hussey are under pressure after lack of runs/age against them but seeing as Khawaja has hardly done much they may earn a reprieve. Christian seems to be being mentioned lots and will be in the squad if Watson can't bowl. Add in lots of people want Haddin dropped and Starc doesn't look good enough then this selection meeting could take a while.

Seems amazing that the spinner looks to be one of the most secure players in the side when 12 months ago they were picking them willy nilly.

I would say there are 5 players certain to play and you could make cases for and against every other member of the side that played against NZ. The 5 safe ones are Clarke, Warner, Lyon, Pattinson and Siddle. The rest is up for grabs. Reminds me so much of England in the 90's.

Spikey

for better or worse i'm pretty comfortable saying ponting, hussey and haddin are safe.

flibbertyjibber

Can't see both playing though if Watson can't bowl you never know. Shows how confusing it all is that people could come up with any number of combinations for the top 6 though and knowing the way the Aussies have been selecting sides in recent years we'll all be wrong anyway.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
GPS the great disappointment in non-Rugby sport.

Terible record for producing international cricketers. Phil Emery was the first GPS educated bloke to play for Australia since Stan McCabe ffs.

Gone off Cowan now, knowing he's a silver spooner. Hope he isn't picked, or alternatively fails.

No place for Toffs in the Australian side.

Sorry mate, not a sledge on you. Please don't take it personally. It's just none of you are hard enough.
Haha, very similar record with APS schools in Melbourne; even with all the scholarships handed out.

Ruckus

International Captain
I'm just so sick of Aus being in a "transition phase". The term is thrown around a lot by the media and management etc., but the fact is the team still is in a transition...and it damn well shouldn't be. How long has it been now since the retirement of the greats? It's been too long...and players like Ponting are dragging it on. I feel once he finally goes we might actually be able to start building towards some consistency again. I don't even care if we aren't winning half as much as before, I just want to be able to know what to expect from the team. We need to sort out the top order asap, work out who is batting where, what their roles in the team are etc. All of this stuff should have been started at least a year ago... Ponting totally should have retired when he lost the captaincy, and officially the Michael Clarke era could have begun.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I can't be the only Englishman looking at the talk of Christian at 6 and not smiling I'm sure.

Looks to me like a bit of a Ronnie Irani pick.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Utility all rounders at No.6 (or 7) in a Test team is a symptom of weakness.
This.Bits and pieces cricketers dont do that well in Test cricket. You need genuine all rounders like Kallis or Watson and they are a rare commodity.

Midwinter

State Captain
News Just in

CA says" Winning is overated, mediocity not given enough credit ".

"It gives us the opportunity to continue using these once great player's media profiles as advertising material for upcoming series, as well as giving them a chance to wring as much money out of their contracts and sponsors before they stop making any runs at all."

Ponting's comments at the start of the season that "he needs to make some runs to stay in the side" shows how insulated he has been from reality.
He needed to make runs from the third test last summer. He has been carried ever since.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I know its only T20 but Christian's bowling tonight looks the same as it has done on each of the previous occasions I have seen him - rank

It would come as a major surprise if he had any impact in tests at all

Top_Cat

All of these comments about the Aussie batting being weak are news to me. Appreciate the insight, guys.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Just sad that we keep on making similar mistakes. I'll be surprised if this time next year, Dan Christian isn't further down the pecking order than what Steve Smith is at the moment.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Must be particularly galling for a guy like Andrew McDonald who is a far better cricketer than Christian is ever likely to be