• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

howardj

International Coach
Cowan meh

I suppose I always have this dream pathway that I like to see debutants walk before they play. You know, Sheild centuries and 1000+ run seasons before you're 21 etc. Much in the mould of Ponting, Hayden, Martyn etc. The reality is though that those days are gone for the moment, and we have to adjust our expectations and be more open to journeymen such as Cowan coming into the team by simply getting on a hot streak at the right time.

adub

International Captain
I don't think I would, but that's not what I meant anyway.
You said that playing Warner, Khawaja and Cowan is pretty dangerous, especially considering Ponting and Hussey. But that's the problem isn't it - Ponting and Hussey. Warner and Cowan especially are in top form, and Uzi for all his problems is getting to 20 consistently, so you can get a 50 partnership out of him if someone hangs around at the other end.

The real danger is continuing to play Ponting. If you have to get Watson into the side then he is the one who should make way.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If they drop Hussey and add Watson, Cowan and/ or Christian, everyone in the top seven has played for NSW.

howardj

International Coach
You said that playing Warner, Khawaja and Cowan is pretty dangerous, especially considering Ponting and Hussey. But that's the problem isn't it - Ponting and Hussey. Warner and Cowan especially are in top form, and Uzi for all his problems is getting to 20 consistently, so you can get a 50 partnership out of him if someone hangs around at the other end.

The real danger is continuing to play Ponting. If you have to get Watson into the side then he is the one who should make way.
Yeah, something is not right when the form of the incumbents is actually impacting the selection of the potential newbies. But that's what happens when you worship at the altar of experience to the exclusion of performance

Ruckus

International Captain

I'll put it this way; I'd give Cowan a go over Khawaja at this stage. I.e. in other words I think Warner, Watson and Cowan is more stable than Warner, Khawaja and Cowan (under the assumption Ponting and Hussey are playing, which they will be). An added benefit of having Watson instead of Khawaja is it makes it one less left hander for Zaheer to feast on. Your point about Khawaja being able to provide a little for a partnership, can only be applied to Watson to a higher degree really.

Wouldn't be opposed at all at Ponting making way for Khawaja, but that is not going to be the reality. If it was up to me my top 6 would be (assuming Marsh injured) Warner, Cowan, Watson, Khawaja, Clarke, Hussey. Think Khawaja and Ponting are just as likely not to get/to get runs at this stage, but with Khawaja at least you are letting him gain some more experience, and it feels like we are actually moving towards something sustainable as a team. Ponting is basically a big dead end, even if he decides to regain some form.

Last edited:

BeeGee

International Captain
Warm-up form != Test form
I agree, to a certain extent, but until he plays his first Test match what else can you judge a batsman on other than warm up games and domestic form?

Think the perception is Cowan's a class below that of a Test player.
Well, there were three Test class batsmen also batting in this innings, Warner, Khawaja and Hughes. They all failed while Cowan scored a century against an international bowling attack. Perception dispelled?

... and it's easy to see why when you have a look at how he goes about his runs (patient but limited scoring areas, etc.).
IMO that is exactly the type of batsman the Aus top order needs.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I agree, to a certain extent, but until he plays his first Test match what else can you judge a batsman on other than warm up games and domestic form?
You can judge him with what's in front of your eyes, for example. Serious question, have you seen him bat?

EDIT: I'm not saying 'don't pick him', just saying it's not difficult to see why it'd be perceived that there are better options/combinations than picking him now, even in the middle of a decent streak. Certainly far from clear-cut that he should be in the side.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
TBF he scored today's ton at a decent click. Mind you, the point about warm-up form =/= Test form is well made.

BeeGee

International Captain
You can judge him with what's in front of your eyes, for example. Serious question, have you seen him bat?
That's a valid point and I admit I've only seen him bat a little on video.

At the end of the day nobody really knows whether Cowan will succeed at Test level or not, but IMO he has certainly done enough to be given the chance.