• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

howardj

International Coach
Christian at six is made dire because we're carrying Mussey and Ponting half the time.

I agree it's a risky move when the engine room is not at full capacity.

Nonetheless, for the reasons I mentioned earlier, Christian will play.

howardj

International Coach
He doesn't kick butt. He makes 30-60 at best and gets out. If that's what we're happy with for a top three player "kicking butt", we'll be mediocre forever.
To the best of my recollection from reading an article recently...

Before the last 12 months though (before his bowling workload was ramped up) I think he was averaging 47 as an opener. That's pretty good in the context of our lineup. By contrast, I think he's touching 30 with the bat in the last 12 months since his bowling was ramped up.

* 72% of statitics are made up. :ph34r:

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Cowan should bat ahead of Watson imo. He's proved himself. I'd trust him to perform better than a Watson coming off a long lay-off.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To the best of my recollection from reading an article recently...

Before the last 12 months though (before his bowling workload was ramped up) I think he was averaging 47 as an opener. That's pretty good in the context of our lineup. By contrast, I think he's touching 30 with the bat in the last 12 months since his bowling was ramped up.

* 72% of statitics are made up. :ph34r:
Yeah I don't doubt that, and I'm not saying he's a 'tard. I'm just saying he averaged 47 odd, but had what? One ton. He was/ is a decent opener, but I really think he could be more down the order, and someone else could do the same/ similar job at number one or two.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If Watson is fit enough to bat properly, then there is no way in the world I'd play both Khawaja and Cowan over him. Christian batting at 6 is a dire move too imo, even though they could end up going with it. Our batting needs to be bolstered as much as possible atm, not compromised with the 'benefit' of some extra pie throwing in the attack.

I really don't think the 'experience' argument holds as much weight as some people make out, but having a batting line up with Warner, Khawaja and Cowan is pretty dangerous especially considering Hussey and Ponting could quite likely provide **** all as well.
This

howardj

International Coach
Yeah I don't doubt that, and I'm not saying he's a 'tard. I'm just saying he averaged 47 odd, but had what? One ton. He was/ is a decent opener, but I really think he could be more down the order, and someone else could do the same/ similar job at number one or two.
Oh cool, I'm just burring up at any suggestion that he not be in the team. But I agree that it makes sense for him to bat down the order long term. I'd like to see at four in all forms of the game.

adub

International Captain
Suggest some alternatives then, taking in mind there is a good chance Marsh won't be able to play.
Cowan's won me over. He can't do much more than what he has over the past two months. No better time to give a guy a test debut than when he's in career best form.

Marsh not playing doesn't mean **** to me. If he's fit and there's a spot then he's done enough to deserve another go, but I wouldn't be racing his back back into a test team.

Christian is obviously being seen as a like for like Watson replacement. He isn't as good a bowler as Watson, (or bat for that matter probably) but he can do a job for us. Then it's just a matter of choosing between Khawaja, Ponting, and Hussey to join Hughes on the sidelines. I said Ponting after Cape Town and still say Ponting. Won't happen, but it should.

Third seamer is a bit of a problem with Harris always a risk, and Dougeh not doing anything in Canberra. If Christian is in the side you have at least a bit of cover if Harris blows up so probably him. (definitely not Starc). Would have a serious think about Hazelwood and probably have him in the squad so he can slot in for Sydney if an injury happens. Dougeh looks like he could have done with some more Shield, but of course will get 4 over spells instead.

Spikey

I just don't like playing an all-rounder for the sake of playing an all-rounder

...the same as playing a legend because he's a legend......

howardj

International Coach
Yeah, this panel has a real like-for-like thing, doesn't it.

- Starc must come in for Johnson
- Christian must fill the Watson void

In both cases, it's arguable whether the replacements are tne next best, or the most similar. That said, I suppose you can understand Christian when the alternative is more overs from Mike Hussey. Wouldn't at all mind seeing Faulkner being pitchforked in at some point tbh.

Spark

Global Moderator
You play an all-rounder for team-balance though. Especially when you have a young or injury-prone attack. And especially when you have a captain as occasionally left-field as Michael Clarke.

Spikey

i mean really for me it's just the same as playing smith last year. in that yeah if you put in enough requirements/restrictions/ etc the selection makes sense....but I just wanna put out something like the best team.

Last edited:

Spikey

You play an all-rounder for team-balance though. Especially when you have a young or injury-prone attack. And especially when you have a captain as occasionally left-field as Michael Clarke.
what does playing a person not quite good enough with the bat and not quite good enough with the ball do for team balance?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Reckon Dougeh has burned virtually all his bridges

Anyway, IMO picking either he or Hilf is a retrograde step - they may be better bowlers than the young guys at present but they dont represent the future either

If Harris is out (and it's odds-on that he will be), reckon they'll stick with Starc

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
I think Christian will definitely play if Harris plays. They won't pick Harris unless they have a backup option within the team with Watson won't be and Hussey really isn't. If they don't pick Harris and pick a bowler who is fit (!?!) then there's no real reason to be playing Christian.

Burgey

Reckon Dougeh has burned virtually all his bridges

Anyway, IMO picking either he or Hilf is a retrograde step - they may be better bowlers than the young guys at present but they dont represent the future either

If Harris is out (and it's odds-on that he will be), reckon they'll stick with Starc
Yeah I think they will too.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Come on Cowan you good thing!

Would be the first person from my school to represent us in test cricket.