• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do Bangladesh deserve Test Status

jashan83

U19 Captain
Surely you can get a month's groceries cheaper than $120? I could manage that in Britain with sensible budgeting.
You are talking about PPP (Purchase Power Parity). For South Asia (Ind, Pak, SL, BD) it is 4 times the $ value. Hence it would become 480 or max 500$. In UK it still would not be enuf :p

Xuhaib

International Coach
It's all relative.

I'm assuming from Xuhaib's post that it's not a lot of money but I'd be intrigued as to what $120 a month could actually buy you.
minimum wage scale in Pakistan is 6K a month which means the countries best cricketers are barly earning just double of the most unskilled people laborers in the country.

FFS the guy who cleans my table and makes tea at my office takes home 8K.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
I like the look of Nasir Hossain and Nazim so if they don't fall away they have now Tamim,Shakib,Nasir,Nazim,Mehmudullah and Mushfiz as test standard cricketers atleast in their home conditions. If they can get Mashrafe fit and I still have hopes from Nafees they might end up developing a decent core for a test team.

Nasir Hossain will end up averaging 40+ consistently I think he's got more potential then Tamim.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
When (not if) Bangladesh start really competing at test level will come soon, that Much I agree. Nonetheless, the ICC's got to look at all the burning and losses its taken to get them there and determine that they need to do more to bridge the gap between their best associates and test level cricket so we aren't looking at a decade of one sided walloping every time a new nation get's test status.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
When (not if) Bangladesh start really competing at test level will come soon, that Much I agree. Nonetheless, the ICC's got to look at all the burning and losses its taken to get them there and determine that they need to do more to bridge the gap between their best associates and test level cricket so we aren't looking at a decade of one sided walloping every time a new nation get's test status.
Yep it would be painful to go through this again. But on the other hand I think there is room for one struggling to make it team provided that they don't lost tests in two days. So yep if ireland or someone wants to be next after Bangers are test match standard that is fine by me. I just object to having 3 minnow teams at once.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
The problem with Bangladesh team is the first class structure and the importance on limited overs cricket rather than the longer version. Last year they had improved greatly but did not play a test match since the England series in May 2010. They had an opportunity to host New Zealand last year but they changed that to an ODI series because they wanted to 'prepare' for the World Cup.

Now they are more interested in a nonsensical T20 league which is apparently going to improve Bangladesh cricket.

I knew this was going to happen because last year, when people like Tamim, Rahim, Mahmudullah were performing, they just did not play enough test cricket. At this age, when you start performing, you want to play as much as possible. But the BCB is more interested in T20 and ODIs rather than revamping the first class structure

Migara

International Coach
I want them to be in test cricket, just to enjoy watching Shakib play. The first true slow bowling all rounder after Sobers.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I honestly think that the Bangladesh batting lineup is slightly underrated. If they unearthed another bowler or two they would actually win some matches.

The oldest batsman in Bangladesh current top 7 is 26 years and 84 days old.

Around the world, the batsman who played in their countries last Test who are younger:
- Asad Shafiq 470 @ 39.16
- Eoin Morgan 618 @ 36.35
- Phil Hughes 1072 @ 34.58
- Usman Khawaja 263 @ 29.22
- David Warner 153 @ 76.50
- Martin Guptill 1097 @ 33.24
- Kane Williamson 488 @ 32.53
- Angelo Matthews 1019 @ 42.45
- Kaushal Silva 84 @ 14.00
- Adrian Barath 478 @ 28.11
- Kraigg Brathwaite 292 @24.33
- Darren Bravo 1155 @ 52.50
- Kieran Powell 197 @ 24.62
- Virat Kohli 191 @ 27.28
- Brendan Taylor 780 @ 31.20
- Tino Mawayo 310 @ 62.00
- Regis Chakabva 42 @ 21.00

As you can see, from the batsman with over 500 Test runs, only Eoin Morgan, Angelo Matthews and Darren Bravo average above 35. Even without the runs restriction, Shafiq, Warner and Mawayo are the only batsman added to the 35+ plus average group.

Now look at Bangladesh:
- Tamim Iqbal 1748 @ 38.00
- Nazimuddin 121 @ 30.25
- Shahriar Nafees 1126 @ 26.80
- Mahmudullah 664 @ 30.18
- Nasir Hossain 209 @ 29.85
- Shakib Al Hasan 1630 @ 34.68
- Mushfiqur Rahim 1480 @ 29.01

There are many young batsman around the world who wouldn't look out of place in the Bangladesh lineup given the start to their careers. As long as Bangladesh don't get rid of all these current batsman in a few years time to bring in a bunch of 21-24 year olds again, Bangladesh should improve.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
The problem is not that they are not improving, the problem is sustainability. Players like Tamim, Kayes, Siddiqui, Nafees, Mahmudullah showed improved from 09 onwards and they impressed almost everyone in 2010 against India and England.
Yet in 2011, they are getting bowled out for 140 odd and guys like Tamim and Mahmudullah are a shadow of their former selves.

Two players Kayes and Siddqui who showed some improved in 09-10 were so dreadful they had to be dropped. And they were given enough chances.

The issue is what happens to these players AFTER they improve. They are not able to sustain it, not able to imrpove further, not able to maintain their confidence and form.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Surely you can get a month's groceries cheaper than $120? I could manage that in Britain with sensible budgeting.
Cost of living in that part of the world is shockingly high, despite the fact that standard of living is so poor.

Prices of essentials like onions, salt, sugar, oil, rice are forever soaring and out of reach of a significant proportion of the population, forget about luxuries like meat.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The problem is not that they are not improving, the problem is sustainability. Players like Tamim, Kayes, Siddiqui, Nafees, Mahmudullah showed improved from 09 onwards and they impressed almost everyone in 2010 against India and England.
Yet in 2011, they are getting bowled out for 140 odd and guys like Tamim and Mahmudullah are a shadow of their former selves.

Two players Kayes and Siddqui who showed some improved in 09-10 were so dreadful they had to be dropped. And they were given enough chances.

The issue is what happens to these players AFTER they improve. They are not able to sustain it, not able to imrpove further, not able to maintain their confidence and form.
Well my point is that they are still young, they still have time to improve. What you've suggested is as likely to be just dips in form compared to having declined as Test batsman (except for Kayes, who is rubbish). I could say Kane Williamson was good and then became dreadful too.

In your opinion, do most of the names I mentioned earlier look like they'll be good Test Cricketers but the young Bangladeshi batsman do not?

The batsman are reasonable, they aren't world beaters but they are showing signs statistically that they are of a normal standard with other batsman of the same age group across the world.