• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do Bangladesh deserve Test Status

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Well my point is that they are still young, they still have time to improve. What you've suggested is as likely to be just dips in form compared to having declined as Test batsman (except for Kayes, who is rubbish). I could say Kane Williamson was good and then became dreadful too.

In your opinion, do most of the names I mentioned earlier look like they'll be good Test Cricketers but the young Bangladeshi batsman do not?

The batsman are reasonable, they aren't world beaters but they are showing signs statistically that they are of a normal standard with other batsman of the same age group across the world.
See the reason I am not very hopeful about Bangladesh cricket is because of lack of guidance and mentoring accessible to the players. Bangladesh does not have a rich history of cricket, their young players now are the best players the country ever had. They have no one look up to.

I was very hopeful about Tamim and Mahmudullah and they have both been shockingly poor and it is not just the slump in form. There are some serious issues here.
Tamim has an attitude problem which I talked about in the topic about Tamim. If you are not getting runs, and you are trying to save a match on the 5th day in the second innings, why the F would you try to hook someone like Umar Gul in the 7th over. It does not matter if it hit the bat or not. The problem was in his thinking.

Mahmudullah showed improvement in 09-10 but just did not get to spend enough time in the middle when things were going right and now he is short on confidence and match practice.

For improvement to be sustained, you have to have the right thinking and strategy and plan of action in place and I do not see that in Bangladesh cricket. Now the cricket board is more interested in a non sensical BPL rather than investing in first class cricket.

Players like Tamim and Mahmudullah will only improve if they play first class cricket at a higher level, not by playing Tom and Jerry cricket in BPL.

cool4u

Cricket Spectator
I don't understand what the hell is ICC for?
They are just having their presence for making money for themselves...Ireland- a very talented team but ICC doesn't have the time to make some effort to evolve Irish cricket to more higher level..ICC doesn't have strong strategies and plans to develop and spread the lovely game of Cricket worldwide...They postponed the Test Championship coz they want to make money through ICC Champions Trophy....What A Shame?.!!

Athlai

Not Terrible
I don't understand what the hell is ICC for?
They are just having their presence for making money for themselves...Ireland- a very talented team but ICC doesn't have the time to make some effort to evolve Irish cricket to more higher level..ICC doesn't have strong strategies and plans to develop and spread the lovely game of Cricket worldwide...They postponed the Test Championship coz they want to make money through ICC Champions Trophy....What A Shame?.!!
Irish cricket would arguably not exist at all if not for the ICC.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I agree with most of what you, Black Warrior have said. I don't really get why though they have to look up to Cricketers from their own country. Surely creating history could be a decent incentive. What's stopping Nasir Hossain from looking up to Tendulkar or Mahmudullah looking up to Younis Khan? It's a bit of a mute point though at the moment as the bowling attack needs to drastically improve.

Now to Tamim and Mahmudullah..

Tamim is out of form, but he has the opportunity to get out of the slump if Bangladesh continue to get a reasonable number of Test matches. I don't agree with you on the dismissal. he didn't hit it and he does score runs from the hook, so it wasn't the most absolute shot selection from an aggressive top order batsman.

His average for 2011 was still higher compared to someone like Phil Hughes. Of course Australia has a more higher standard expected so Hughes is dropped while Tamim isn't close to being dropped. But Bangladesh are slowly getting a group of players who might be close to the Test team again if they perform well in First Class Cricket (Siddique, Naeem, Raqibul).

Mahmudullah is an interesting case. He's not terrible or anything but he becomes a bit of a sacrificial lamb at times. He's batted down at 8 previously and made runs but hardly bowled. Then he gets picked at number 4 and bowls more. He probably just needs some stability and a clearly defined role in the team, hopefully Mushfiqur and Law can help him out with this. In saying all this, he's still under 26.

Last edited:

cool4u

Cricket Spectator
Irish cricket would arguably not exist at all if not for the ICC.
I think if that happens...ICC wud be having the biggest role in vanishing the Irish Cricket.
Now Afghanistan is also evolving as a good cricket playing nation but the ICC wud be definitely thinking of sinking Afghan Cricket very soon....

Athlai

Not Terrible
I think if that happens...ICC wud be having the biggest role in vanishing the Irish Cricket.
Now Afghanistan is also evolving as a good cricket playing nation but the ICC wud be definitely thinking of sinking Afghan Cricket very soon....
Yeah they are definitely playing the dual role for these blossoming cricketing nations in both helping them step up to the next level and well and truly hampering their progress. The paradox of the ICC.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Wow looks like you have some serious issues with the ICC..can you provide some specific points as to how ICC is harming Ireland or other associate nations?

I agree with most of what you, Black Warrior have said. I don't really get why though they have to look up to Cricketers from their own country. Surely creating history could be a decent incentive. What's stopping Nasir Hossain from looking up to Tendulkar or Mahmudullah looking up to Younis Khan? It's a bit of a mute point though at the moment as the bowling attack needs to drastically improve.

Now to Tamim and Mahmudullah..

Tamim is out of form, but he has the opportunity to get out of the slump if Bangladesh continue to get a reasonable number of Test matches. I don't agree with you on the dismissal. he didn't hit it and he does score runs from the hook, so it wasn't the most absolute shot selection from an aggressive top order batsman.

His average for 2011 was still higher compared to someone like Phil Hughes. Of course Australia has a more higher standard expected so Hughes is dropped while Tamim isn't close to being dropped. But Bangladesh are slowly getting a group of players who might be close to the Test team again if they perform well in First Class Cricket (Siddique, Naeem, Raqibul).
He has only played 4 test matches so average is not great indicator here. My issue was with his attitude and approach.. everyone goes through slump in form but good players adjust. When Tendulkar was struggling for runs in Australia in 03-04, in Sydney he did not play a single cover drive. He adjusted because he was not at his best. That is what good players do, they adjust.
Tamim was batting at a time when Bangladesh were trying to save the match and trying to hook a bowler like Gul in the 4th over, when you are not in form and your confidence is not high is a bad decision. When Pietersen was struggling last year, he adjusted and did not go for those wild drives and hooks early in his innings and waited to get his eye in and get his timing right. That is what you have to do at this level. Otherwise it will be very easy for opposition bowlers to bait him when he is not in form, bowl a short ball you are almost certain he will go for it and get out. You cannot become a great player like that.

And if he cannot control his natural aggression according to team situations, then he is not a team player and I have no value for such players.

There is a reason why I don't value Afridi as a batsman.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Mate, Sachin is a world class batsman and in 2003/2004 he was already 30 years old. Lets see if Tamim is still making the same mistakes in 2019.

I've clearly shown that young batsman around the world are struggling to match the averages of players who are older. It's not that surprising that the young Bangladesh batsman are doing it. I would prefer to see Tamim getting out hooking rather than getting bowled from a nothing ball from Hafeez in the previous Test.

Age plays a factor in Test Cricket. If the batsman are touching 30 and not doing much and they have some young batsman performing strongly domestically, bring them in, but it's a long process.

Just out of interest, how's Bangladesh's future Tests program look over the next year or two?

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Not very good. I am not aware of any test series scheduled for Bangladesh in 2012. They are playing the Asia Cup and the ICC World T20 and that is a major concern.

I do believe that had Bangladesh played more test cricket in 2010, Tamim would not have had a slump in form, people like Mahmudullah would be finding more runs. They are just not playing enough longer version cricket.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Bangers are going to evolve as a team, they have disciplined themselves astonishingly well from the past to now and they have a semi-decent Domestic circuit so It is only a matter of time IMO.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I agree with Black warrior - getting out hooking especially when he fell that way in the 1st inning was dissapointing. He needs better coaching and he needs it now.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I agree with Black warrior - getting out hooking especially when he fell that way in the 1st inning was dissapointing. He needs better coaching and he needs it now.
Yeah it's disappointing, but he still performs better then almost every single Cricketer 26 and under in the world. So he's doing quite nicely overall, just in a lean patch where on a better day he would have smoked it for 4/6 or had an umpire with two eyes OR been in a country that has DRS..

Athlai

Not Terrible
NZ-Bangers are supposed to schedule a Test at some stage, something else mucked up a prior arrangement and I believe I read they'd try to fit it in at some stage in the next year.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah it's disappointing, but he still performs better then almost every single Cricketer 26 and under in the world. So he's doing quite nicely overall, just in a lean patch where on a better day he would have smoked it for 4/6 or had an umpire with two eyes OR been in a country that has DRS..
But thats the point isnt it...he was having a lean patch and he knew it..hence he should not have gone for the shot even if the umpire did not make a mistake. Its stupid regardless of whether he would actually get out doing it or not.