• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do Bangladesh deserve Test Status

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think the Irish team would keep making the same brainfart mistakes the Bangladesh batting line up does though as they have far more first class experience with most of their team playing county cricket. Obviously bowling would be a problem for them but one thing I would like implemented straight away if they became a test nation is that any Irish player who has qualified for England wouldn't have to wait 2-3 years before playing for Ireland again, just let them go straight back, including Morgan.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
I don't think the Irish team would keep making the same brainfart mistakes the Bangladesh batting line up does though as they have far more first class experience with most of their team playing county cricket. Obviously bowling would be a problem for them but one thing I would like implemented straight away if they became a test nation is that any Irish player who has qualified for England wouldn't have to wait 2-3 years before playing for Ireland again, just let them go straight back, including Morgan.
That would be incredible, but won't happen. Also like you point out Ireland has benefited heavily from the English CC, maybe Bangladesh could be doing the same with India/Pak?

If I'm honest, Ireland have been amazingly lucky with the generation of cricketers they've produced. Not sure how its happened tbh, but one of the things I would say is that since Ireland never really plays cricket Morgan playing for England is actually good for us. If he became a superstar it might do more for the game here than any number of random WC victories against Pakistan

flibbertyjibber

That would be incredible, but won't happen. Also like you point out Ireland has benefited heavily from the English CC, maybe Bangladesh could be doing the same with India/Pak?

If I'm honest, Ireland have been amazingly lucky with the generation of cricketers they've produced. Not sure how its happened tbh, but one of the things I would say is that since Ireland never really plays cricket Morgan playing for England is actually good for us. If he became a superstar it might do more for the game here than any number of random WC victories against Pakistan
I think Ireland will get full status before Bangladesh get theirs taken off them. Can't see Bangas being thrown out.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I agree with Nasser Fan207, India and Pak should allow Bangladeshi players to play in their FC structure.

Do Zim players play FC in RSA?

morgieb

They really don't.

See, if they were like Zimbabwe and were actually trying but usually falling short, I'd want their test status kept. But they lack balls big time. The performance against Pakistan was embarrassing. Apart from Tamin and Shakib, they don't really have much good cricketers. Mashrafe's alright but he never plays. Mahmudullah and Rahim are decent, and Elias Sunny, Nasir Hossain and Nazimuddin look to have some talent, but they wouldn't be near most test sides, and the rest are crap. How Ashraful still gets games is beyond me.

morgieb

I agree with Nasser Fan207, India and Pak should allow Bangladeshi players to play in their FC structure.

Do Zim players play FC in RSA?
Zimbabwe's domestic structure is stronger than you'd think tbh.

Also, they used to play phony FC cricket in South Africa (the stuff that Ruan Pietersen dominates), but they don't anymore.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Zimbabwe's domestic structure is stronger than you'd think tbh.

Also, they used to play phony FC cricket in South Africa (the stuff that Ruan Pietersen dominates), but they don't anymore.
Yeah, Its definitely better than Bangladesh's, though they've had the structure in place for far longer so have an advantage

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Needs to be home Test status as I keep saying.

Stick Zimbabwe, Ireland and Bangladesh in that bracket. That means they can tour each other and get some money and experience playing better sides at home where they still have a chance of competing. When they start winning some Test matches at home (against proper Test sides) then full Test status becomes an option. This is the way forward, to bridge the chasm between no Tests whatsoever and going on utterly futile tours to England, South Africa etc.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Stick Zimbabwe, Ireland and Bangladesh in that bracket. That means they can tour each other and get some money and experience playing better sides at home where they still have a chance of competing. When they start winning some Test matches at home (against proper Test sides) then full Test status becomes an option. This is the way forward, to bridge the chasm between no Tests whatsoever and going on utterly futile tours to England, South Africa etc.
Fortunately the ECB have flexed their muscle so Bangladesh won't tour England until 2020 at the earliest.

Migara

International Coach

Add Afghanisthan there too. Un fortunately they don't have luxury of home games. Hamid Hassan would walk in to half of the test sides in the world ATM.

jashan83

U19 Captain
Bangladesh & Zimbabwe having Test Status and Ireland not having is highly fair for following reason

1. Bangladesh and Zimbabwe get share to 7.5% of ICC Earning each year which is roughly 7.5 M$ a year while teams like Afghans and Ireland just get meager 0.6 M$ a year. Due to this fact Bangladesh and Zimbabwe get money to tour other nations while Afghans and Irish have to work hard to make end meets and keep whole team professional

2. Bangladesh and Zimbabwe due to their test status in a non justifiable way make a direct entry into tournament like WC, World Twenty20 or Champion Trophy while Afghans and Irish have to fight with 12 or 16 teams to make it where just 1 upset can put them out of the tournament

3. BD and Zim get to be part of FTP where they get exposure against better teams while Afghans and Ireland have to beg for 1 or 2 ODI's

4. As being part of FTP they get to host nations like Ind, Eng, Pak or Aus which brings in additional income for the hosts which Irish or Afghan do not get

Zimbabwe and Bangladesh are not cut above Ireland or Afghans. They are better due to unfair advantage of more exposure and funding they have. Make the system more fair then it will be no problems

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Pakistan really need to pinch Hamid Hasan. We should lure him by offering him the chance to play Test cricket, just like England did with Morgan.

flibbertyjibber

Pakistan really need to pinch Hamid Hasan. We should lure him by offering him the chance to play Test cricket, just like England did with Morgan.
Could Sri Lanka nab him? They need him more.:laugh:

Seriously though, i'd have no problem if he became a player for any nation as he is going to miss out on test cricket totally otherwise.

As for Morgan still don't think he is a long term answer for England. Rather play Taylor.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Well it's easier for Pak to nab him because he plays for Pak Customs in FC cricket and most likely has a Pak and Afghan nationality.

ret

International Debutant
Another suggestion: merge teams of BD, Zim, Ireland, Kenya, Nambia (iirc), Holland, etc to make one test team called the 'associates' :p

Right now, I doubt if teams like BD can beat even the FC competition winner of some of the top teams. May be teams like BD can join some FC competition and see if it can do well and based on such performances may be it should be decided if a team can take on international sides in tests rather than ODI status resulting into test status

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Another suggestion: merge teams of BD, Zim, Ireland, Kenya, Nambia (iirc), Holland, etc to make one test team called the 'associates' :p

Right now, I doubt if teams like BD can beat even the FC competition winner of some of the top teams. May be teams like BD can join some FC competition and see if it can do well and based on such performances may be it should be decided if a team can take on international sides in tests rather than ODI status resulting into test status
I like that idea. It would make test cricket more competitive.