• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

Spark

Global Moderator
Think Hughes missing BBL is a huge mistake. The bloke needs runs and Warner is a great example of how just scoring runs, even in a different format, can send you on your way.
Depends on whether you think grade cricket > T20. Honestly, I'm inclined to agree with you. Slogging a few pressure-free sixes might do wonders for his confidence.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd agree if the problem was just that he was out of form and needed to get back into nick. I think he needs to make some slight technical adjustments though and playing T20 in the middle of working on that would really just confuse matters for him IMO.

howardj

International Coach
Would have thought he just needs to tighten up outside offstump early doors. Offside, and square of the wicket in particular is a rich source of runs for him. He just needs, to my mind, temper things until he gets to 30. Learn the art of the leave.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd agree if the problem was just that he was out of form and needed to get back into nick. I think he needs to make some slight technical adjustments though and playing T20 in the middle of working on that would really just confuse matters for him IMO.
How do you think he's going to go confidence wise if he goes back to grade cricket and gets out nicking early a couple of times?

T20 batting is so liberating. If you get out who cares. At the moment he seems to have the weight of the world on his shoulders. It's actually a good format to boost the confidence.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
opening the blade towards third man for your primary outside off defensive prod is a pretty big technical glitch. Even Gambhir does a fair bit of that but has managed to control it somewhat over the years

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't think more confidence will really fix the issue though tbh. His problems at the moment are more technical than mental.

Spark

Global Moderator
Would have thought he just needs to tighten up outside offstump early doors. Offside, and square of the wicket in particular is a rich source of runs for him. He just needs, to my mind, temper things until he gets to 30. Learn the art of the leave.
Confidence and knowing where your off stump is go pretty much hand in hand tbh.

howardj

International Coach
Confidence and knowing where your off stump is go pretty much hand in hand tbh.

I don't think at any level below (just speculating) he's really left the ball all that much. He seems to just go for it square of the wicket right from the get go. But, in Tests, the bowling is a step up and the scrutiny of your game is more intense from the opposition, and he really needs to recognise that during his first 30 runs at the crease. As Hayden said, go as hard as you like early but, in doing so, keep the ball close to you.

Daemon

I don't think benchmark is arguing against that - he's saying that the pressureless zone of T20 will be a better fit for him right now.
He said that in response to Cribb's suggestion that it was a technical thing. If it was a response to someone saying that it's a confidence issue, then his suggestion to play t20 would've made sense.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Warner said he got good at tests by having 3 hour net sessions - I think he just thought that 20 20s gave him the limelight he needed.

Top_Cat

Runs is runs, no matter the format.

Definitely think the pressure's got to him more than issues of technique. In addition to the pressure of playing Tests in a struggling team alone, he was picked ahead of his state captain (at the time) and, from all reports, his mentor so he'd be feeling the pressure to succeed for him too.

Said it at the time but dropping Katich and saying at the same time Hughes is The Man without having the cushion of some good runs behind him put monstrous pressure on the bloke. Heavy lies the crown and his technical foibles would be magnified.

By at least 4x.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
You've seen more of him - so if you say it is due to his confidence then so be it. But just to a fresh pair of eyes just seems like he needs to practice his leave.

Top_Cat

Knowing when to leave vs play surely more of a mental than technical glitch though, no?

Lefties being troubled by Chris Martin is nothing new, though.