• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Averages around 35 in FC cricket. His home ground is Adelaide Oval. He should never play a test for Australia until he adds ten to this average at least.
In the current environment, a couple of knocks in a row like he played the other day and/or some good ODI knocks and he'll be in with a big chance.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I really don't see how picking Hughes would be anything but harmful. He looked better yes but really. I mean if he hits 200 in a day in the tour match maybe. but

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Send him back to Domestic Cricket, let him play his way. Trying to convert him into a conventional batsman has done him much more harm than good. [/lacethroughpoint]

adub

International Captain
One compelling reason to leave Hughes in the side for the India series is that it is the best thing to do for his long term development as a test match opener, given that there is no more shield cricket now until after the tests. There were some promising signs (if Kerry O'Keefe is to be believed) in Hughes' second innings at Hobart and he actually has a couple of decent scores in recent history (cf. Ponting).

Hughes, I feel, should be persevered with.
I'd agree if he was getting to 20 more often. How you get out is pretty ****ing irrelevant. If Bradman had got out the same way 4 times in a row no one would care because he'd have made about 400 runs in the mean time. It's the fact Hughes isn't even getting starts that's the problem. As we saw in the last test a 20 was still good for a 50 run partnership. You can build good innings around 50 run opening partnerships, but 1/sfa is no good. I'm happy to give Cowan a chance to show if he really is up to it or not. I don't think Eddie will ever be the player Hughes will be, but for the next couple of years he could do a really handy job for us and act as a foil for Warner. Hopefully by then Hughes will be ready to come back and fire.

Khawaja on the other hand is getting the starts and hanging around to build a partnership. That is worth persevering with. If he's getting 20s and 30s eventually the big one will come. You'd just ask him to work on turning over the strike a bit more.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Shame there's only the Big Bash for ages
No crowds at test matches, being unable to bat in bowler friendly conditions, T20 leagues effecting preparation for test series...

You'd think this was India and the BCCI :ph34r:

aussie tragic

International Captain
ummm, Marsh out of Chairman XI and therefore out of Boxing Day Test. Ed Cowan now switched to 3-day game to replace Marsh...

So now maybe Watson for Hughes only batting order change?

...or Cowan if Watson not fit?

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Looks to me like Hughes has irreparable technical deficiencies...with the standard of new ball bowling around the world on the upturn, it's going to be ultra hard for him to be any kind of consistent.

Unless he stays out for about 10 years, waits for bowling and pitches to go to ****, and then makes a great comeback.... like a Hayden :ph34r:

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah my hand is definately not up. Not suprising in the slightest. Really gonna have to look beyond Marsh now too, unfortunatly it just doesn't look like he will be up for test cricket in the long term. Wonder if they are going to keep Khawaja then, or put in Cowan?

biased indian

International Coach
Out batting performance will depend upon opening batsmne giving us good starts ....

dont have much hope on the bowling side...whats the latest on zaheer !!!!!!

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
I found Arthur's "need some experience in the middle order" comment particularly hilarious. Ponting, Clarke, Hussey and Haddin is a pretty raw untested group of batsmen.