• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Things that will happen before Sachin's 100th 100

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It's an exciting record because no-one's done it before, no one's got close and it's hard to imagine anyone matching it for decades to come. We generally don't add international hundreds, but that's because no one else has given us such a reason to.

And yes, ODI tons matter too, because they matter to him and to his fans. To use a PEWSian, it's his job to score not just Test hundreds, but international hundreds. And he's done it massively more so than the next guy.

Besides anomalies like Ramprakash, nobody counts the most First Class hundreds any more, because the game has changed to the point where domestic cricket is less relevant. But the enduring record of Jack Hobbs' career is his 199 FC tons, not his Test figures. We make an exception in Hobbs' case, because that number shows that he was just that good. We can do the same for Tendulkar.

I don't especially care about the specific mark of the hundredth hundred (and I'll certainly be hiding from Cricinfo for a while when he gets it - everything he does is a record these days, we don't need a bunch of new articles every time) but long after he has retired it's his international hundreds that should be the figure he'll be most proud of, and the one people should rave about, if they must.

It's his thing. It's what makes him special.
My feelins mostly..

The only counterargument to that would be that we never really counted up international hundreds to see who got to 50 intl 100s first... Would be interesting to see who it was.

I am pretty sure the 100 international 100s would suddenly become less valuable when someone decides to add in T20 100s and we got T20s and ODIs happening all the time. I guess few years from now, there will be someone with 15 or 20 test 100s but 60 ODI 100s and 20 T20 100s and we will have fans telling why it is so much more difficult to score 100s in tests to show that Sachin was superior. :)

EDIT: Think the article is spot on about most things except the test 100 being tougher than ODI 100 always.. Maybe 1000 wickets is a bad example. We should try to look for 100 5-fers. Does anyone have that? Murali?

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
EDIT: Think the article is spot on about most things except the test 100 being tougher than ODI 100 always.. Maybe 1000 wickets is a bad example. We should try to look for 100 5-fers. Does anyone have that? Murali?
Murali has 10 fivers in ODIs. Most after Waqar who has 13

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
My feelins mostly..

The only counterargument to that would be that we never really counted up international hundreds to see who got to 50 intl 100s first... Would be interesting to see who it was.

I am pretty sure the 100 international 100s would suddenly become less valuable when someone decides to add in T20 100s and we got T20s and ODIs happening all the time. I guess few years from now, there will be someone with 15 or 20 test 100s but 60 ODI 100s and 20 T20 100s and we will have fans telling why it is so much more difficult to score 100s in tests to show that Sachin was superior. :)

Probably not, an ODI 5 for is much, much harder to get than an ODI ton.

edit: Murali has 67 Test 5 fors and 10 ODI 5 fors, 77 in total. Only Hadlee (41) has come within half of Murali's total. Warne is 3rd on the international 5 for list with 38.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
yeah probably go for 3 fors in ODIs.. do they track that?
They track 4 wicket hauls. Murali has 15 of them, to add to his 10 5w hauls, giving him 25, to go with his 112 4+ wicket hauls in Test cricket, giving him 137 in total.

Warne has 98, Kumble 76.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Probably not, an ODI 5 for is much, much harder to get than an ODI ton.

edit: Murali has 67 Test 5 fors and 10 ODI 5 fors, 77 in total. Only Hadlee (41) and Warne (38) have come within half of Murali's total.
This, it's so much harder. Murali's numbers really are quite remarkable.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Love this piece, agree with pretty much every word.

Mukul Kesavan: Why Tendulkar's 100th hundred doesn't matter | Opinion | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

Comments section typically lolworthy, and would be even moreso if they weren't so deadly serious. And so numerous.
This guy has no point. All statistics are not comparable with any other statistic unless all variables are controlled, which they never are. It's a lifetime achievement thing, not a 'shows greatness in one format' thing. It's like Clint Eastwood can be given an award, which may include his acting and his directing even though the two are separate professions. You don't devalue his directing by saying he also acted. The argument is worthy of the comments its getting.

No one is saying Sachin scored 100 Test centuries. It's simply a career milestone. What's the problem here?

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
This guy has no point. All statistics are not comparable with any other statistic unless all variables are controlled, which they never are. It's a lifetime achievement thing, not a 'shows greatness in one format' thing. It's like Clint Eastwood can be given an award, which may include his acting and his directing even though the two are separate professions. You don't devalue his directing by saying he also acted. The argument is worthy of the comments its getting.

No one is saying Sachin scored 100 Test centuries. It's simply a career milestone. What's the problem here?
The problem is with the inconsistency.. Why is 1000 international wickets not celebrated the same way? Pretty simple point, really.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The problem is with the inconsistency.. Why is 1000 international wickets not celebrated the same way? Pretty simple point, really.
I think the point most people who are against this have, is that this is such a big deal ONLY because Sachin is the one doing this. Had it been someone else, no one would have even noticed and tried to add up ODI and Test tons...

Fusion

Global Moderator
I think the point most people who are against this have, is that this is such a big deal ONLY because Sachin is the one doing this. Had it been someone else, no one would have even noticed and tried to add up ODI and Test tons...
Disagree. Perhaps Tendulkar gets the most coverage, but any of his contemporaries would have been celebrated as well. Can you not imagine a Lara or Ponting getting similar headlines had they approached this milestone? I can.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
100 hundreds has always been a celebrated milestone in the First Class game. However, the way the game has gone in the last 20 years, it's unlikely that anyone else will achieve that milestone, and Tendulkar getting 100 hundreds in international cricket is likely to be a unique achievement.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
India to drop down to 3rd in the test rankings.
Bangladesh win the toss and bat.
- Sehwag scores a run
Praveen kumar scores(slogs) a fifty in international cricket.
Andrew Strauss picture gets on the homepage of cricinfo.
England become World No.1 Test team.
Here is mother of all prediction..... "Indian will an international game before Sachin gets to his personal milestone"
RP Singh will pick up a wicket
This thread gets 100 replies.
India will beat the windies in a test
An Indian test win.
Federer to play in his 100th final
All correct predictions so far.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Eh, this is hardly news though. Yeah, Sachin is the most popular cricketer of all time, so what. Everything he does is magnified, its been this way for decades. Its almost Justin Bieber syndrome at times, in that people hate on him purely due to his popularity.

The guy is an amazing cricketer and his ******** fanbase shouldn't stop us appreciating that.