• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Australia 2011

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Wait, we weren't sent in? (I missed the first session and toss).

Bloody hell, deciding to bat on that in the first morning, surely you tell your batsmen to be conservative and not to do anything stupid.

That first morning was the best chance our bowlers will get all match, and we chose to bat...
It was being talked up as a bold and brave decision by Ross. Which it was, in isolation. However, when your batsmen (you most definitely included) aren't prepared to dig in and make a winner of that decision, it's of little consequence.

There wasn't anything special in the deck, it was all movement through the air. Which is what Bracewell, Southee, Martin rely on, so I'm not overly phased. And Lyon was turning it almost prodigiously - maybe Vettori will get it off the straight.

Speaking of Lyon, very impressed with his loop, turn and control yesterday. One to stick with, I'd suggest.

Oh and champion, it's 1pm start unless they've claimed an extra half hour

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Last post before I sign off from the public library. Brownlie must continue to bat with his SR in the 30s. WE just need someone out there to accompany Vettori. If Dan falls then Brownlie can step it up.

Keep it going Dean!

Flem274*

123/5
It was being talked up as a bold and brave decision by Ross. Which it was, in isolation. However, when your batsmen (you most definitely included) aren't prepared to dig in and make a winner of that decision, it's of little consequence.

There wasn't anything special in the deck, it was all movement through the air. Which is what Bracewell, Southee, Martin rely on, so I'm not overly phased. And Lyon was turning it almost prodigiously - maybe Vettori will get it off the straight.

Speaking of Lyon, very impressed with his loop, turn and control yesterday. One to stick with, I'd suggest.

Agree on Lyon. looked very handy from what I saw. Not sure why I've read a few posters want to drop him.

I'm praying hard for swing when we bowl. I'm really keen to see what we can do when conditions are in our favour.

Cheers for the start time mate.

BeeGee

International Captain

AWTA. Also, they're starting at 9.30 (12.30 NZ).

BeeGee

International Captain
One comment about Kane's dismissal:
Sure, it was good bowling by Lyon, but it was very obvious the trap they were setting. I know Kane is still young but he needs to learn that if the opposition sets a trap for you, you can't just keep playing the same way and hope for the best.

He should have started using his feet more, getting to the pitch of the ball and killing the spin. You can't just hover back on the crease the way he was, with the ball turning towards those short catchers on the leg side.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
This is my first time watching Dean Brownlie bat. Technically he looks solid, and his temperament yesterday displayed more than his top-order colleagues. Judging from his first class record is he more of an attacking batsman? First class strike-rate of approximately 60 is pretty quick, impressive that he was able to wind back his natural game and grind it out yesterday.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The top order want shooting for some of their dismissals and most were set when they threw it away. NZ need to bat till lunch minimum, do that and score over 250 and they are still in the game as we all know as do the Aussies that their next collapse can happen at any time.

Vettori, what a guy. Almost always performs at some stage of a match with bat or ball. So underrated. Class act.

Woodster

International Captain
This is my first time watching Dean Brownlie bat. Technically he looks solid, and his temperament yesterday displayed more than his top-order colleagues. Judging from his first class record is he more of an attacking batsman? First class strike-rate of approximately 60 is pretty quick, impressive that he was able to wind back his natural game and grind it out yesterday.
Technically looked pretty solid, got squared up once and twice even to straight balls, but generally got himself well behind the line of the ball. Couple of nice punches off the back foot, and a nicely timed cut shot were the attractive highlights for me. He does need to rotate a little better, but it's early days for him.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Technically looked pretty solid, got squared up once and twice even to straight balls, but generally got himself well behind the line of the ball. Couple of nice punches off the back foot, and a nicely timed cut shot were the attractive highlights for me. He does need to rotate a little better, but it's early days for him.
The highlights I saw he did well, difficult to be critical of a guy who is batting with his side in trouble at 100-5 and he is still not out when play ends. He needs to dig in again today and when he has played a bit more and relaxes into his role in the side then the shots and rotation of the strike may come more easily.

Flem274*

123/5
Right, I'm off to the pub. Will return with sober and thoughtful comments after we wipe this Australian rabble off the park.