• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Australia 2011

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
WE KNOW we know we know we know we know we know

Anyway, I think NSW pace bowler Trent Copeland should be in the Australian Test Team. Thoughts?

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not aware who Malcolm Knox is, but he loses all credibility based on calling the ball that got Guptill a 'wide half volley'. Laughable. It was full of a length, drew him into the stroke and nicked him off. It was a fine piece of bowling.
Sorry but I cannot see how this was not a wide half volley. It was missing the stumps by 1.5-2 feet and Guptill definitely did not need to play at it. Yes Siddle deserves a little credit for going wide on the crease and it probably did screw with Guptill's frame of reference, but a good batsman would not have been tempted regardless.

I thought Siddle was Australia's best paceman. Still too many balls where he didn't make the batsman play, but some good bowling as well. A mixed bag.

Xuhaib

International Coach
not wanting to jump the gun but Iam mighty impressed by all 3 new Aus quick's (Pattenson,Cummins, Starc)

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
NZ batsmen's heirarchy of shame:

1) Taylor: wrong match situation, high risk shot, could have let it go, not yet 'in', poor execution.
2) Guptill: high risk shot, could have let it go, not yet 'in', poor execution.
3) Ryder: could have let it go, not yet 'in', poor execution.
4) McCullum: poor shot selection, poor execution (decent ball)
5) Williamson: (good bowling)

Flem274*

123/5
Time to go down ridiculously biased swinging with the predictions.

-Brownlie will be the only Australian batsman to score a century
-The only exception is Mitchell Starc, who will make a century at the bowling crease
-Doug Bracewell is on for a 5fer

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Time to go down ridiculously biased swinging with the predictions.

-Brownlie will be the only Australian batsman to score a century
-The only exception is Mitchell Starc, who will make a century at the bowling crease
-Doug Bracewell is on for a 5fer
And NZ will still find a way to lose. Credit where credit's due - New Zealand are very good at losing.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Except that he is speaking ****

Siddle went wide of the crease to Guptil and angled it in towards the stumps, pitched it up to draw him into the drive, and decked it away to catch the edge - excellent piece of bowling IMO

Siddle beat the bat a lot, was economical and, on another day, couldve had a bagful

The guy has been criticised a lot but he didnt do much wrong today
I didn't watch every ball, but saw the 2 hour highlights last night and listened to the ABC commentary for the full day (apart from the ****ing country hour) and many of the ABC commentators thought that Siddle was easily the best quick and from what I saw I think he was also. But in reality he's not the attack leader, I would much rather Harris or Cummins to fill that role.

Love that Paul Kelly song though.

I'm not aware who Malcolm Knox is, but he loses all credibility based on calling the ball that got Guptill a 'wide half volley'. Laughable. It was full of a length, drew him into the stroke and nicked him off. It was a fine piece of bowling.

And funny how he'd praised Pattinson for pitching the ball up and 'doing what he should do'. Now most of those were wide half volleys.

Someone doesn't like Siddle. Someone doesn't know too much about the game..either or
Malcolm 'Spikey' Knox IMO.

Pattinson has never really filled me with too much confidence. I mean, he's not terrible, but he seems to have coasted to Australian selection without bowling that many earth shattering spells. He got picked because he was next in line a couple of times. I think Cutting would have done a better job, but in saying that Starc would have opened the bowling and things might have changed.

Hopefully Pattinson is less nervous today and produces the goods.

The weather is set fair, gentlemen.

Won't stop them going off for bad light at 2:30pm though lol
This is always my favourite sentence from you Howard before each Test day!

I was actually happy with the number of overs they got in yesterday, it shouldn't be too hard to make up the 39 overs throughout the next few days and the fair thing is both teams should be bowling today. Sometimes I think the batting team has an advantage on the long 105 over days as the bowlers really do get stuffed, not so much when one team is already 5 down.

WE KNOW we know we know we know we know we know

Anyway, I think NSW pace bowler Trent Copeland should be in the Australian Test Team. Thoughts?
Well Copeland.. haha I'm not going to share my thoughts again.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I want to comment on Kane's dismissal. He had to bat when the pitch was taking a MILE of spin. He seemed out matched and didn't know how to handle it. I have seen FC players bat on a dust bowl before and they did manage ok. He needs to do better next time. In the end he was neither back nor forward.

Other comment is a big thank you to John Wright and the selection panel for picking Brownlie for the match - and playing the 6th batsman. Mind you if 1st slip had taken that catch it wouldn't have made the slightest bit of difference.

From a glass is half empty perspective - it is a bit of a shame that we have our best batting line up in some time on the field and it is left to Vettori to rescue us for the 100th time in test cricket.

Finally at 96 -5 the decision to bat first was looking foolish. I hope it pays off yet.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Someone get an x-ray machine. Whomever has the biggest heart - Vettori or Siddle - will win this match.

Flem274*

123/5
Wait, we weren't sent in? (I missed the first session and toss).

Bloody hell, deciding to bat on that in the first morning, surely you tell your batsmen to be conservative and not to do anything stupid.

That first morning was the best chance our bowlers will get all match, and we chose to bat...

Woodster

International Captain
Interesting first day, shame it was cut short. Definitely something in it for the bowlers, yet with a bit more consistency things could have been even better for Australia. But with two youngsters debuting it is no surprise if the dangerous areas are not hit ball after ball.

As for NZ batsmen, Guptill was disciplined with his leaves outside his off stump, waiting for the straight balls and working it into the leg side, then the first flashy drive he tries he snicks off. Could have left it, should have left it, the ball was still doing plenty to prompt circumspection. McCullum batted exactly as expected, going hard at Pattinson first up, and jumped all over anything loose, but tame ending with an ill-advised cut when cramped for room.

Jesse Ryder's cut shot was certainly there for it, just not very well executed, Williamson was undone by some decent spin bowling, and the situation was not set-up for a rash Taylor drive just before lunch.

Vettori and Brownlie battled hard till tea, and they're going to have to start again in a few hours and build a respectable total.