• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Australia 2011

Flem274*

123/5
Australia should make the Gabba a green top. Yeah they're collapse prone, but (never thought I would say this) we have the most experienced bowling and they need to even up the bowling vs batting somehow. They need to give their young seamers a hand, and the batsmen can harden up. McCullum and Guptill will be very vulnerable early on if its green, and you want Williamson, Taylor and Ryder in as early as possible.

In Hobart I'd prepare a spinning deck. Lyon has taken a few wickets in tests and isn't terrible, so give him a crack. I'm more confident in this particular NZ batting unit against spin than others, but day 5 turners are hard on anyone.

Flem274*

123/5
Aaaargh! Too many people are talking up NZ's chances in this Test!

Punter will probably score a million runs after the comments from Cairns.

The plan is supposed to be fly under the radar, you pillocks!! :@
Nah bugger that. NZ sides are way too quick to grab the underdog status and play down our chances. It's about time we were ****y ****s, because the constant underdog stuff doesn't seem to be working.

Come out and say we will win 2-0. The worst that can happen is we will lose again. NZ cricket fans surely have no idea how that feels..

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Oh God, if Bahnz thinks we might be a chance it's time to slap $200 on an NZ series win.
Nah, every 5 or 6 years I tend to develop a spontaneous bout of optimism (last time was during New Zealand's 2006 tour of South Africa). These are all inevitably followed by a good towelling to restore my mood to it's natural gloomy state.

Flem274*

123/5
Did we even go in 2006? I thought the series was in 2007...

And how you managed to be optimistic about that side beats me.:p

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, we toured in 05/06. Franklin was in good form and Bond was a part of the touring squad, and I was deluded into believing that Jamie How was the cure to all our ills at the top of the order.

Unfortunately Bond got injured (yes, I should have seen that coming) and some young fast bowler that I'd never heard of was brought into the SA side and promptly ruined our ****. I think his surname started with St...Steinman? Stainish? I forget now.

Flem274*

123/5
I'm considering calling into the pub before work tomorrow just to lay down a bet while the odds are still juicy. Won't escape work in time to catch the start. ten bucks can still earn me an extras days pay.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah, we toured in 05/06. Franklin was in good form and Bond was a part of the touring squad, and I was deluded into believing that Jamie How was the cure to all our ills at the top of the order.

Unfortunately Bond got injured (yes, I should have seen that coming) and some young fast bowler that I'd never heard of was brought into the SA side and promptly ruined our ****. I think his surname started with St...Steinman? Stainish? I forget now.
Oh yeah that series.

I remember Fleming, Oram and Franklin scoring hundreds. After that I'm pretty sure it pissed down with rain and the series was a draw.:ph34r:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Oh yeah that series.

I remember Fleming, Oram and Franklin scoring hundreds. After that I'm pretty sure it pissed down with rain and the series was a draw.:ph34r:
I remember Mills being used as an opener and lasting three balls. I don't think I fully recovered from that until Bond and O'Brien's stirring effort to bowl out pakistan on the last day of the dunedin test. Having said all that he didn't do any worse than Michael Papps.

That series was good for Jimmy though. 15 wickets at 25, and plenty of runs too. I thought his career as an all-rounder was really about to take off. Shame how it all turned out.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
My Brisbane-based spies are telling me that NZ think they're in with a red hot chance in this Test series.

I concur.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
For some reason I thought it was you who'd posted the following question:

Out of interest, what is everyone’s opinion on the best Australian XI for the first Test? Only consider players who are available and don’t give half selections like Siddle/Pattinson.

My selection:

David Warner
Phil Hughes
Usman Khawaja
Ricky Ponting
Michael Clarke
Michael Hussey
Matthew Wade
Trent Copeland
Peter Siddle
Nathan Lyon
James Pattinson

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
If any Australian is lamenting all the injuries to their first pick, or even second pick bowlers - it's OK, we know how you feel :(

robelinda

International Vice-Captain

yeah that guy had a few days out vs NZ

Dale Steyn 3/43 & 4/91 vs New Zealand 3rd test 2006 - YouTube

Dale Steyn 2/95 & 5/47 vs New Zealand 1st test 2006 - YouTube

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Go New Zealand.

Will be unable to post much during the series as my computer is in the shop. We have some sort of electrical surge going through the house and it has taken out three computers (didn't think it was the electricity causing it until the third computer went down when it wasn't connected to the Internet).

Looking forward to the playing XI being announced.