• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Australia 2011

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Out of interest, what is everyone’s opinion on the best Australian XI for the first Test? Only consider players who are available and don’t give half selections like Siddle/Pattinson.

My selection:

David Warner
Phil Hughes
Usman Khawaja
Ricky Ponting
Michael Clarke
Michael Hussey
Matthew Wade
Trent Copeland
Peter Siddle
Nathan Lyon
James Pattinson
I'll give you two teams. Here's a team that tries to keep some consistency with the selectors' decisions - incumbency, blacklisted players etc etc are all factored in. I've basically only considered players who were on the South African tour and players who played for Australia A.

1. Warner
2. Hughes
3. Khawaja
4. Ponting
5. Clarke
6. Hussey
7. Haddin
8. Copeland
9. Siddle
10. Hilfenhaus
11. Lyon

Here's what I'd do if I was picking a team from scratch, ignoring what the selectors have done before, ignoring incumbency etc etc.

1. Rogers
2. Katich
3. Khawaja
4. Ponting
5. Clarke
6. Hussey
7. Haddin
8. Copeland
9. Siddle
10. Hilfenhaus
11. Lyon

Which just swaps the openers out.

I was always one of the biggest critics of Hilfenhaus on here when he was actually in the side but with Cummins, Bollinger, Johnson, Watson, Cameron, Butterworth and Harris all out injured I think we've finally reached Hilfenhaus's level. I don't think Pattinson or Starc are as good as him yet, even though I feel it's likely both will be better bowlers than he ever was eventually.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
PEWS would you select O'Keefe over Lyon if available? Leads to my next question, what must Lyon achieve against New Zealand to retain his position?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
PEWS would you select O'Keefe over Lyon if available?
Using the first methodology - that is, trying to keep selection as a process and keep things consistent - no. Lyon's done enough to hold his place so far.

It becomes a little less straight-forward in the second team I named which I picked from scratch for the needs of this Test match though. At full strength I would actually still pick Lyon ahead of O'Keefe using this methodology anyway because I feel with Watson in the side, the team can afford to have a genuine attacking spinner should the conditions arise to use one. Four seamers means the spinner wouldn't have to perform a holding role or bowl long spells on the first two days if the conditions didn't suit; I think Lyon is better suited to the attacking role and would exploit turning conditions better than O'Keefe. In a four man attack at the Gabba though I'd definitely pick O'Keefe if he was fit as the role of the spinner in that attack would be a lot different; he'd need to bowl a lot of overs (something Lyon has admitted himself he doesn't think he has the fitness for over five days) and play a holding role at times.

what must Lyon achieve against New Zealand to retain his position?
I'm not sure if O'Keefe will be fit for India anyway, so not a lot really. :p

Noble One

Nice analysis, I agree.

It will be a tough injury to return from for O'Keefe. I split the webbing between my thumb and index finger several years ago and it took a long period to regain confidence in gripping a cricket ball.

I believe O'Keefe mentioned he suffered a similar injury before. He should understand the healing process well.

adub

International Captain
Of the guys actually fit and available I wouldn't be far from what the selectors have dished up. Ponting would hold his place simply because there aren't any genuine alternatives fit. Wade in for Haddin and Siddle, Copeland and Pattinson as the pace attack.

Watson is the big loss. Really stuffs the balance of the side not having him on deck. Once of Harris/Cummins would come in for Siddle if fit.

uvelocity

International Coach
Watson is the big loss. Really stuffs the balance of the side not having him on deck. Once of Harris/Cummins would come in for Siddle if fit.
Yeah you'd nearly go for an all rounder for Lyon hey, just for brissy. Just too much chopping and changing for it to be feasible.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I will give you a "if my life was at stake XI"

Remembering that Cummins, Harris, Watson, Marsh and Johnson are all out, and that it's at the Gabba

Phillip Hughes
Dave Warner
Simon Katich
Usman Khawaja
Michael Clarke
Michael Hussey
Matthew Wade
Steve O'Keefe
Peter Siddle
Trent Copeland
Ben Cutting
O'Keefe is also injured, and Katich doesn't fit Nath's availability criteria.

robelinda

Junior wanted Christian in for the Gabba test, for extra bowling cover. Not the worst choice if Watson can't play.

howardj

International Coach
Junior wanted Christian in for the Gabba test, for extra bowling cover. Not the worst choice if Watson can't play.
How good was Crash Craddock on Inside Cricket with Junior and Fleming!

Little known fact that June brushed Crash post 1998 bookies scandal.

Cold shouldered him on tours.

adub

International Captain
No not the worst, but would have to be for Ponting in my opinion. Would be fair enough if the idea is for Watson to come back to 4 and Ponting to the commentary box when fit anyway.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
No not the worst, but would have to be for Ponting in my opinion. Would be fair enough if the idea is for Watson to come back to 4 and Ponting to the commentary box when fit anyway.
Yeah I would've been comfortable enough with Khawaja going up to open but I really don't want to re-visit Ponting at 3 and Clarke at 4. Whoever came in for Watson had to be a top order batsman and bat somewhere in the top three, and Christian wasn't going to do that.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
PJ Hughes
DA Warner
UT Khawaja
SM Katich
MJ Clarke
SPD Smith
BJ Haddin
NM Hauritz
TA Copeland
MA Starc
JR Hazlewood

PA Jaques a tough exclusion. I could drop SPD Smith and move everyone around.

adub

International Captain
PJ Hughes
DA Warner
UT Khawaja
SM Katich
MJ Clarke
SPD Smith
BJ Haddin
NM Hauritz
TA Copeland
MA Starc
JR Hazlewood

PA Jaques a tough exclusion. I could drop SPD Smith and move everyone around.
Could play Nevill as a bat at 6 too. Plenty of options.