• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Australia 2011

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
well he hasn't, but he's very much a last resort for nsw let alone ca

but yeah i'd pick him

Sylvester

State Captain
We might be pushing our luck but no one would have predicted the debut Cummins had so maybe lightning can strike twice and Pattinson has a similar debut. The big loss is Watson obviously, Cummins hard to say since we only saw him in one game and see first sentence. I would have had Copeland starting in our last test series over Johnson so no loss in that department.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
yeah can't say I'm thrilled with the prospect of Pattinson playing but ssrly everyone else is injured.
I wouldn't have been adverse to Butterworth playing, but he might be a little too similar to Copeland to have both in the attack. The opposite problem to Siddle+Johnson in the same attack.. :p

I'm really not sure who I would have picked, tbh. All the bowlers I think might go decently at Test level based on watching them bowl are either injured or haven't performed lately/ever, and all the bowlers who have put the numbers on the board in the Shield are either injured or (IMO anyway) goiing through purple patches rather than actually being quality bowlers. Pattinson is probably the best fit combination of performance and potential we have, I guess.

Spikey

no he's fit although he missed all of last season with injury (same as pattinson, cutting and starc) and has played 3-4 games so far. leave him at nsw

steve magoffin or chris swan imo

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
It's a tough call to make on the replacement bowler. Had Ben Cutting taken 5 wickets in the first innings, he would have been impossible to ignore.

Plenty of good options, however no standout.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
no he's fit although he missed all of last season with injury (same as pattinson, cutting and starc) and has played 3-4 games so far. leave him at nsw

steve magoffin or chris swan imo
I think both Magoffin and Swan are injured as well actually.

Spikey

I think both Magoffin and Swan are injured as well actually.
magoffin is but i'm pretty sure swan is fit again. for an one-off i'd rather him than anyone else, but we know it won't happen....I'm not very cool with picking a guy without a 5 wicket fc haul, then again i guess it worked with cummins

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
magoffin is but i'm pretty sure swan is fit again. for an one-off i'd rather him than anyone else, but we know it won't happen....I'm not very cool with picking a guy without a 5 wicket fc haul, then again i guess it worked with cummins
Well I like Pattinson but I comparing him to Cummins is really apt at all. He's a promising bowler who might have a decent Test career but he's not even in the same league of "special talent" as Cummins.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Well I like Pattinson but I comparing him to Cummins is really apt at all. He's a promising bowler who might have a decent Test career but he's not even in the same league of "special talent" as Cummins.
Can you expand on this point? Not disagreeing, just interested in your analysis of Pattinson.

Spikey

these are the seamers who since 07/08 have had at least two decent seasons (eg 20 wickets) and are still playing

Steve Magoffin (07-08. 08-09. 09-10) (injured)
Peter Siddle (07-08. 10-11)
Mark Cameron (07-08. 10-11) (injured)
Peter George (08-09. 09-10. 10.11)
Chris Swan (08-09. 09-10. 10.11) maybe (injured)
Ryan Harris (07-08. 08.09) (injured)
Trent Copeland (09-10. 10.11)
Ben Hilfenhaus (07-08. 08-09. 10.11)
Luke Feldman (09.10. 10.11)
Michael Hogan (09.10. 10.11)
Luke Butterworth (08-09. 10.11) (injured)
Dan Christian (08.09 09-10. 10.11)

Andrew McDonald (08-09. 09-10. 10.11) (10.11 below 20 wickets, but below average of 25 and above 10 wickets)
James Hopes (08-09. 09-10. 10.11) (09-10 below 20 wickets, but below average of 25 and above 10 wickets)

Doug Bollinger (07-08. 08.09. 10.11) (08.09 and 10.11 below 20 wickets, but below average of 25 and above 10 wickets) (injured)
Clint McKay (07-08. 08-09. 09-10) (07-08 and 09-10 below 20 wickets, but below average of 25 and above 10 wickets)
John Hastings (08-09. 09-10. 10.11) (08.09 and 10.11 below 20 wickets, but below average of 25 and above 10 wickets) (injured)

Days of Grace

International Captain
This has got to be the first trans-tasman series in the history of cricket where Australia have had more injury-woes.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Can you expand on this point? Not disagreeing, just interested in your analysis of Pattinson.
I think it was just pretty obvious from watching the two bowl for the first time, myself.

Pattinson reminds me a lot of Siddle in a lot of ways; he charges in and tries to bowl hostile stuff to make the batsmen uncomfortable, often just back of a length. He can be a little wild at times but he's pacey and gets movement off the seam. He's someone who I have a lot of hope for, but equally he's someone who's "merely" a promising bowler who should ideally cut his teeth in the Shield, refine his game and earn his position.

Cummins was always a bit different. His action, his pace, his control, his ability to swing the ball etc etc were all just there straight away and at such a young age that it was obvious how special he was. I was open to fast-tracking him based on a small sample size (and he was actually fast tracked even more than that, based on no performance at all) which is rare for me; it was just obvious to me he was a rare talent. I don't really think it's comparable to the Pattinson situation.. James is not going to be fast-tracked because he's truly special; he's going to be fast-tracked because he's vaguely promising and we have no other fit bowlers left.

Zinzan

Interesting both Boult & Martin are far more economical than Southee & Braces, while looks like the latter pair have created the chances.