• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official New Zealand Domestic Cricket 2011/2012 ***

Flem274*

123/5
Well they will still bowl everyone out for under 200, it's just they will be lucky to score 200 across both innings themselves.:p

Athlai

Not Terrible
Well they will still bowl everyone out for under 200, it's just they will be lucky to score 200 across both innings themselves.:p
Without Southee and Boult? I'm not so sure. Aldridge and Arnel are quality but they haven't really set their season on fire so far.

Howsie

International Captain
We'll see how good you are when everyone of your performing players leaves you next week eh?
It's a shame Ryder was the only Wellingtonian picked, we have a few boys playing third XI stuff that would have loved a run :p

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Without Southee and Boult? I'm not so sure. Aldridge and Arnel are quality but they haven't really set their season on fire so far.
In all fairness, those other two haven't really had the opportunities with Boult/Southee going on their merry way. Aldridge/Arnel/Baker is still a pretty good domestic line-up.

Athlai

Not Terrible
In all fairness, those other two haven't really had the opportunities with Boult/Southee going on their merry way. Aldridge/Arnel/Baker is still a pretty good domestic line-up.
One of the better ones no doubt, but not as utterly ridiculously good as it is now.

Mike5181

International Captain
Franklin c & b KS Williamson

† J Austin-Smellie c & b KS Williamson

Dean Brownlie is batting again as well.

Last edited:

Meridio

International Regular
Has anyone here seen Murdoch bat apart from Athlai?
Think someone's asked that question before, and I answered it - cbf looking though.

He's a good player, strong on the onside (though not in a Ross Taylor way) and can play off both the front and back foot. Completely dominates club cricket and unlike most guys in their second season of first class cricket he's a bit older (28ish I think) and knows his game well.

Is he international quality? Don't know, and realistically he needs to have another season as good as the last one before he should be considered anyway. If he continues in his current form though, you'd think he'd get picked for an NZ A side or similar (do we still have NZ A teams?)

Flametree

International 12th Man
Wow. Some great scores this round.

Five questions :

1) Does anyone else agree with me that NZ will never again be in the top 3-4 test nations until NZC completely reworks its schedule to ensure the top players play at least half the first class season for their provinces? This last round of matches seems much more interesting and intense than the first round. With only 6 teams, taking 15 or so of the best players (and Watling, I'll beat you to it) out of the whole event for the various international commitments just dilutes the quality too much. (Sidenote, I'm really pleased they're only taking 12 across the ditch...)

2) Does anyone else agree with me that the above will never happen? :(

3) Were some of us getting over-excited about the possible bowling talent coming through the ranks? If Guptill, hardly a prolific first class batsmen in the past, can walk back in and get a near double-ton, does this mean the bowling attacks can't be that good?

4) Is Michael Mason the second unluckiest player in NZ's recent cricket past - in that he played just one test (compared to Arnel, Gillespie, Drum, Butler etc) ? (Andre Adams is of course the unluckiest)

5) Has anyone seen Nethula bowl? Will Nethula and Astle be our Grimmett and O'Reilly?

Howsie

International Captain
3) Were some of us getting over-excited about the possible bowling talent coming through the ranks? If Guptill, hardly a prolific first class batsmen in the past, can walk back in and get a near double-ton, does this mean the bowling attacks can't be that good?
Nope, it just means Canterbury's attack is rubbish, which it is.

Flem274*

123/5
Completely agree on 4) and you may be right on 1). Certainly if the best played more often, we would see a definite improvement all round in our FC competition. I don't think it's a coincidence we usually have top shelf limited overs sides and the Black Caps play a lot of limited overs cricket domestically.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
4) is a fair question, although I don't agree with Drum being put in the latter group. I always thought he was a quality bowler who actually didn't get as many opportunities as he deserved. Badly timed injuries were his biggest enemy.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Wow. Some great scores this round.

Five questions :

1) Does anyone else agree with me that NZ will never again be in the top 3-4 test nations until NZC completely reworks its schedule to ensure the top players play at least half the first class season for their provinces? This last round of matches seems much more interesting and intense than the first round. With only 6 teams, taking 15 or so of the best players (and Watling, I'll beat you to it) out of the whole event for the various international commitments just dilutes the quality too much. (Sidenote, I'm really pleased they're only taking 12 across the ditch...)

2) Does anyone else agree with me that the above will never happen? :(

4) Is Michael Mason the second unluckiest player in NZ's recent cricket past - in that he played just one test (compared to Arnel, Gillespie, Drum, Butler etc) ? (Andre Adams is of course the unluckiest)

5) Has anyone seen Nethula bowl? Will Nethula and Astle be our Grimmett and O'Reilly?
1) I think there's a happy medium to be found. Certainly having the international players is only going to boost the Plunket Shield, but the reality is it makes more financial sense for NZC to make sure they are available for HRV Cup. My solution, as per the English model, would be to not have such clear windows as we do for each competition. A) we aren't going 2 months without 4-day cricket, as we do now, and B) it means returning players have a mix of formats. Although England's recent success can't really be attributed to county cricket, as none of them have extensively played for their counties.

2) Yes. Wholeheartedly. It's the reality of a revenue-driven society.

3) He only played one team so I don't think so. Canterbury, as said before, should not be knocking over any domestic sides cheaply. I think there are causes for excitement - Southee's continued rise, Boult, Milne, Wheeler. You only need four or five, there's four there. Spin, completely different story.

4) I'd say Lou Vincent has been treated a lot worse than Mason. But if you're talking bowlers, yeah maybe..whilst it was a very poor debut, John Bracewell called him the best line and length bowler in the country but never picked him again. Odd.

5) Yeah I have, and he's a decent leg-spinner. More consistent than Astle, has a very good wrong-un, probably bowls with less loop than Astle but better variations in flight (has worked at his craft a lot longer) and is less likely to get pumped as well. Both turn it enough to be effective. I think if either are to play for NZ it'll be Astle, I think, if he can earn a spot at 6 or 7 based on FC run-scoring. But he's showing little sign of it.

Flametree

International 12th Man
I think there are causes for excitement - Southee's continued rise, Boult, Milne, Wheeler. You only need four or five, there's four there.

Given the fitness records of NZ pace bowlers in recent times, I suspect four or five might not be enough!!